• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The start of the fish room remodel.

FishEggs

Looking good. Do you water seal the wood at all?
In a previous post he said "...needs more legs and poly..." I'm guessing the poly is polyurethane? the wood is also a dark brown so probably at least stained it. Hopefully not forgetting the end that sits on the floor.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Ah, yes. I must have missed that. I would use a spar urethane that is meant for outdoors. It would hold up better to the moisture. I'm sure he's thought of this. Seems like he is taking his time and doing it right.

chriscoli

Administrator
Amazing how much a few piece of wood make it start to look like a fishroom. I love the way it's looking!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Yep, I plan on putting polyurethane on most of it. Not sure if I will do all of the surfaces or not yet. That's a lot of polly. lol
Last time I put it on just the face parts that you could see. Lasted over 20 years so what the heck. LOL
I hope to at least put it on the bottoms of the legs where it touches the ground. Again I did not do it last time and
it lasted a long time.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I was going to put 4x4's on the uprights this time but Home Depot and Lowes did not have them. I could get elsewhere but
they cost like 8 times what a 2x4 costs so I will do like last time.
Mount a 2x4 to the 2x6 and then add another / double them up so that they are almost as good. Again, worked last time for
many years.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Oh and if you look close at the top, I did attach the stand to the wall in 3 places. Last time I had each one attached to the
ceiling joist above in one spot. This time that is not exposed so went to the wall. Since the picture, I did paint the part on the wall
the same color as the wall. I have it screwed together so I can unhook, move it out and finish my piping now that I know where its
going.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
When you are through you might have room for a few more fish. Yes? What?
LOL
Actually I think there will be less gallons in the room when I am done. Trying to keep it about the same.
But with small water changes every day I could keep more in the tanks? maybe

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Been slowly working.
Sanding. Staining. Cutting. Assembling. Polyurethane (ing). Lol.
Again. Time problems. Had to work on leaves in the yard Saturday plus a kids birthday party. Sunday Ravens game and the letdown afterwards. Lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2376.JPG IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2381.JPG IMG_2376.JPG
2nd wall drains up this week.

IMG_2379.JPG
Started the stand on that wall.

IMG_2381.JPG
putting poly on makes a difference in the color.

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I still need to pull it out from the wall and poly the back of it and double up on the vertical supports.
I think I mentioned before that I ended up doubling the 2x4's on the vertical because it was hard to
find 4x4 non treated.
I am sure going through a lot of lag bolts. I think for the 2 stands I have gone through about 125?
lol

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
After the poly and legs my next step is to finish the drains.
I want to get them done and out of the room soon.
My plan as of now is to get the first 2 stands up and running with fish first. Then I will worry
about the incoming water and the back wall rack or racks.

So that means I need to start drilling soon. I am not looking forward to that part. Plus I don't have many of the new
tanks yet.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
Will you paint the bottoms of the tanks dark blue also? Or are you using gravel or special substrate?

You ever think of putting a bed in there? The colors and the bubbling would put anyone to sleep. LOL

rsretep

Members
By the way love following this thread, Juanita and I are moving before Christmas and I will be moving my fishroom into the basement of our townhouse, am getting some very good ideas from your ongoing progression.