• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey, Hans--are you coming to the next meeting?

I could really use some pointers on how to work with glass--where to buy it, what thinkness to buy, how to cut it, how to dull the sharp edges, where to buy those plastic hinges, etc.

Hey Hans and Pat--all these photos that Hans has been posting would make a great presentation!

<div class='quotemain'>Hans

Where did you find those plastic hinge strips holding the glass?[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Bob,

how to work with glass......................very careful
where to buy it....................... glass shop
what thickness to buy.............not to thick and not to thin
how to cut it................... with a glass cutter
how to dull the sharp edges................piece of sand paper
where to buy those plastic hinges...............mine came from Glass Cages
etc...................etc.

Now help Pat with his sheetrock Saturday morning and come with him to the fish house after that, I got some glass for you to practice on lol lol lol

Hans

<div class='quotemain'>Hans

Where did you find those plastic hinge strips holding the glass?[/b]

I ordered them with the tanks Francine, I got the tops "not put together" because I was not sure yet were to put the intake or in other words, were to cut the corner off.

If I get the tops put together from Glass gages they put some silicone in the hinge and you can't seperate them anymore,

Hans
[/b][/quote]
Franny

Check out this link. This package seems to have all the parts minus the glass. I am sure that they have other sizes as well.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...p;N=0&Nty=1

Thanks
Rob

mscichlid

Founder
More pics! Doggone! Hansy, when you get to work, you get to work!

Feb1.jpg

Feb2.jpg

Feb3.jpg

Feb4.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
Some more. Hans will have to explain. I just post 'em! :) BTW, what fish are you going to put on that top row? That seems pretty high.

Feb5.jpg

Feb6.jpg

maddog10

Members
Let me see if I can guess what Hans is going to do.

All the new racks are going to have a common sump underneath the rack. These sumps are going to be filled with filter media, so they are going to be one giant wet/dry filter. The racks with the 20Highs are going to mainly house breeding pairs (beautiful & expensive) discus. The fish in those tanks will not be disturbed as often as the others in the fish house, so they can be higher up on the rack. Probably get a rolling ladder similar to what is used in Home Depot or Lowes (or maybe a library) to get access to the upper levels for feeding and netting, when necessary. The whole building will be heated to 84-86 degrees, so no need for individual tank heaters. Humidity will be controlled via a large air exchanger. He is probably going to bring his son over from Holland to help with the construction of the new racks. The two of them will be very meticulous in the craftsmanship, so that everything fits and operates as it should. I bet they only break 3 tanks during this process. Thats what i think will happen! :D :wink:

marge618

CCA member
The two of them will be very meticulous in the craftsmanship, so that everything fits and operates as it should. I bet they only break 3 tanks during this process. Thats what i think will happen!

You got it. With 2 of Hans working on this project it will work like magic. The show fish will have everything their little hearts desire. Now, how to translate all of this knowledge to the basement of a tiny bungalow outside of Catonsville....
Later,
Marge

Mike,

OMG it almost looks like you were there, :angel2: man how is it possible and you got all the number right, only cracked 3 by stupidity
But good news is........I ordered 3 extra so no big deal till................Glass Gages send 2 tanks with out holes

Better news is.....February 16th they are in Baltimore, guess what's on the truck??? lol

All 20's will be filled with breeding pairs (one in each), NO we are not going to breed, those pairs are all for sale and as soon as sold, be replaced with a new pair. There will always be a 120 pairs in stock when everything is finished.

Hans

maddog10

Members
Thanks again for having me over. I was very impressed. It is a very well thought out and executed plan (just have to come up with a better way to empty the tanks - it was fun to watch though). Let me know when I need to come over and stand guard duty!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maddog10 @ Feb 8 2008, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks again for having me over. I was very impressed. It is a very well thought out and executed plan (just have to come up with a better way to empty the tanks - it was fun to watch though). Let me know when I need to come over and stand guard duty![/b]

You're Welcome Mike.

Now the tanks are full it's much easier lol pity you didn't have the camera I'm sure people would have loved the pictures of a frustrated Hans lol

Hans

animicrazy

Members
Hansie Baby !!

Great to see the progress - makes me feel somewhat 'inferior' :unsure:

But really - you have to know I luv ya man - (in only the rightest of ways) - so don't be scared when my stealth operation swarms the beach !!

Just fish - gotta love it or neither of us would do it.

Paul.

Okay we are back, that is......back for a while now, was great fun & nice warm in Florida and FREAKING cold to be back.

When we came back we had "some" catching up to do on shipments, still working on that, did some things in the new part with my son but not much.
Brian is back to Holland so I'm on my own again with the project.

The 2 racks with 20 gallon tanks are running, 4 other racks are build, working on the filter systems, 2 more racks to go.

We put a few pairs in the 20 gallon tanks (35 pairs till now) to see if the are happy in there before we move the rest in.

Looks like they do okay lol,

Hans