• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Custom 3D-BACKGROUNDS

Hawkman2000

Members
I would mix some Portland type 5 cement with concrete dye, sand, and some crushed gravel for texture, and apply it with a sponge. Portland type 5 is water proof so there should be no leaching.

My only issue with drylok is that I have seen it peel on concrete and block many times. I don't know how well it hold up to being immersed, not to mention pleco munching and fish scratching. Many people use it though so it should work.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I would mix some Portland type 5 cement with concrete dye, sand, and some crushed gravel for texture, and apply it with a sponge. Portland type 5 is water proof so there should be no leaching.

It is my understanding that any type of cement will have an effect on water chemistry. I'd still soak it just to be safe.

Tony

From what I've read, most folks soak them 2-3 times to get them to leach. Maybe 24 hrs the first soaking, then change water, let it sit a couple of days and maybe a week the third time. Test the water's pH as you go. It should steadily go from very basic to slightly basic.

Tony

Soak it in a Rubbermaid container outside before you put it in your tank.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Just soak it in any large container that doesn't have your fish in it. You can get them at any home improvement type store.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Ohh well does it have to have filtration !?!?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

No. You are trying to get anything that is going to leach out of the background to do so before you put it in your tank. It is the same thing folks do with getting tannins out of driftwood. Soak, dump water, repeat. Monitor the pH. When the pH stabilizes after several water changes, I would think you'd be okay to put it in your tank.

Italy592

Members
Ok so just to cap what I'm doing I'm going when I'm finished dryloking it I put it in a large Rubbermaid obtained with tap water ?? And I'll regularly check water till the ph is stable ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Go back and read the previous posts. You are trying to get the drylock to leach out whatever it is going to leach out prior to putting it in your tank. Soak it in a rubbermaid container. Change the water that you are soaking it in regularly until it isn't leaching anymore.