• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Custom 3D-BACKGROUNDS

Italy592

Members
The foam does create a water tight barrier. Especially if you coat it with type 5 cement and seal it with a aquarium safe clear coat. This allows you to put weights inside the structure to weigh it down.

Still would like to know if PJ1 clear epoxy spray would be aquarium safe.

What is the weight again !!!!???

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hawkman2000

Members
What is the weight again !!!!???

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ziplock bags full of sand, fishing wieghts or gravel. or if its a big one, you could put 2.5 to 10 lb weights. You could put pretty much anything in freezer bags, suck as much air out as you can and spray the foam around it so its on the inside, near the bottom of the structure. You could even have a few pieces of rebar precut, melt some suran-wrap around them and put them in the structure near the bottom. Just thought of that one, hhmmm, wonder if it would rust even if its sealed in plastic.

I would just hate to go through all the effort making it, then finding out that the cement or mortor coating wasn't enough to hold it down.

Last edited:

MonteSS

Members
Buy a plain 75g on craigslist ot through the club. Take your time and fit, paint, and glue the pieces in.

...Bill

Here is oneI tried in a little 26g. Be aware that catching fish is a nightmare

backround007.jpg

backround010-1.jpg

Picture1030.jpg

...Bill

Last edited:

69cichlids

Members
I think he its saying to but another tank put the background in it get it cycled than switch your fish to the new 75 than break down your old one and sell it...that way your fish won't be living in rubber maid tubs while you work on your 75 now. Only way I see safely putting in a 3d background is to have an empty tank...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Montbard

Members
If you think you're going to be doing a lot of this, or you have other hobbies that would use them, here are some styrofoam cutters: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=7907241105&ref=pd_sl_6g2qjske89_b
Although obviously we aren't quite trying to make the same things and certain parts of the tutorials will have to be ignored or modified, this series does a pretty good job of showing you how you can carve styrofoam easily and cheaply to make rock formations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D4KBB_GC4

Italy592

Members
Now what is I wanted to take slate a small but slightly heavy piece an glue/silicone the PVC to the slate and then styrofoam to the top of the PVC do you think that could work ??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

69cichlids

Members
I'm not sure it would stick...maybe bend some chicken wire in a circle around the pvc pipe leaving a gap between the wire and pvc pipe then glue that to the slate then spray foam it...or sand the sh!t out of the pvc pipe leaving deep groves. Might even have to spray foam the pvc/slate and then see if it stuck to the slate if not silicone it down to the slate

verbal

CCA Members
Might even have to spray foam the pvc/slate and then see if it stuck to the slate if not silicone it down to the slate

I think sprayfoam is pretty sticky. I put something together with rocks and pvc and spray foam. I even threw some gravel in to decrease buoyancy. For this attempt I was not looking for appearance, but just a proof of the approach. It seems to work pretty well. I think with more effort it could be made attractive.

69cichlids

Members
I havent worked much with spray foam...iv handled it when after its been sprayed and it was very smooth, thats why I want sure if it would attach to something else smooth like slate or pvc...just try it how you wanted to do if it works great if it doesn't stick to the slate then silicone it down

Hawkman2000

Members
Spray foam is very sticky. It should stick to the pvc and rocks. It wouldn't hurt to sand the surface area of the pcv where it going to come in contact with the foam.