• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Custom 3D-BACKGROUNDS

MonteSS

Members
I think he its saying to but another tank put the background in it get it cycled than switch your fish to the new 75 than break down your old one and sell it...that way your fish won't be living in rubber maid tubs while you work on your 75 now. Only way I see safely putting in a 3d background is to have an empty tank...

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Correct. No way you can do it with an established tank.

You also have NO idea how floaty the foam is. I siliconed the heck out of it and wedged it under the top frame.

I used a razor knife and just started cutting horizontal lines and prying chunks out. It is very messy but easier than I thought.

The paint I used is cement water proofing paint from Lowes call drylock.

http://www.ugl.com/drylokMasonry/masonryWaterproofer/latex.php

It is very thich paint and white. They tint it the color you want for free. IIRC I put on two or three heavy coats. I used only grey but should have gotten some dark greay too to add highlights. The shadows from the aquarium lights bo that already but it would look even better.

I let the paint dry a week and could have waited longer. Tank turned a little greay at first but multiple water changed cleared it up. No fish were harmed when tank was eventually cycled and intruduced.

And once again, dont build any permanent caves into it or you will be sorry later if you ever have to remove a fish.

Remove the top plastic rim from rge tank so the backround is all one piece and wedged in. A PITA but worth the extra effort.

Hope this helps....Bill

Last edited:

Italy592

Members
I know that I do but I have a over head filter which I have to cut a hole so it can hang within the custom background. Once I figure exactly where I am going to cut i will mold out the rest of the right side

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Italy592

Members
Well it is going to get cut down and the filter will fit perfect in the cut I make than I a, going to make crevasse and ledges around the cut for the filter like a wall of rocks built up around it

Italy592

Members
So heres my next step i have to shape/mold the whole thing into like a life-like rock formation and wondering if anyone have good opinions on how to do it just wondering ??? your input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Italy592

Members
OK GUYS I NEED YOUR HELP AND OPINIONS ASAP!!!!

I finally silicone the entire thing together and it tightly together !!! My Dilemma is that i am stuck with a confusion !!! Do i us Concrete or an Epoxy paint or do i use Concrete than a Epoxy Paint when do i cured after each step??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!