• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Custom 3D-BACKGROUNDS

Italy592

Members
HI I have currently a 75 gallon african Cichlid tank its been up and running for a year now. But i have been owning tanks for about 5 years now but i need your help. I have been moving toward a 3d-Background more and more as the years go by and now im finally ready too !! I am going to make my own its already drawn up how i want it to look and also how how the blocks of Styrofoam i will need to put together and where. MY questions are 1st can i put a 3d-Background in a Established tank ?? Like is it safe or will anything happen that could harm the fish. 2nd Do you have any tips or tricks or even advice for me when making your own ??? Ive read you need weight on it so it stays down certain kind of paint and even sometimes cement cover or something?? Please i really want to do this right and need your help if any advice , tips, or tricks you can help me with it would be greatly appreciated !!! once i start making it Pictures will come and keep everyone updated !! PLease help!!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
I don't have any direct experience, but cichlid-forum has tons of build threads if you haven't checked it out yet.

If you aren't 100% that you want to go the DIY route, yourfishstuff.com(CCA sponsor) has some great options.

thedavidzoo

Members
There is a TON of info and examples on Youtube and the web regarding styrofoam and concrete. I started going that route, but it seemed a lot of trouble. With the bought 3D backgrounds, you can't really add it to an established tank if you plan on siliconing along all the edges, obviously.

Problem with the concrete over styro is it will have to cure forever followed with many soaks in water for all "toxins" to leach out-before you add to your tank. Lot of folks add a stain or two to the concrete to give it all good color, or paint on several layers of safe paint (forgot the kind). If you are patient, this is a good option. Don't go for the white styro that is made up of a million infernal balls that fly everywhere. Get the dense insulation sheets from Home Depot or Lowes, much less mess.

I am much too impatient for all that. Plus had a established tank.
I opted for a large sheet of plexiglass that fits along the back inside of my tank. To that I siliconed various large pieces of slate, kind of 3D to cover the plexi, then added small foam spacers and siliconed more smaller pieces of slate to the background, giving it more 3D, tumbled rock wall look and lots of "caves" and narrowish slots for fish, nothing huge deep though. Just have to watch the spacing so no one can get stuck between the layers(stupid adventurous zebra danio!).
The whole thing takes up no more than 2 inches in depth. The bottom edge sits on a black foam pipe insulator for added cushioning and weight distribution (adds a little bouyancy also to counter the weight on glass), hidden completely by rocks/slate. Added a rock pile for more caves, presto.
I can easily remove the whole wall if needed for a good cleaning (or if I get tired of it) and stuck my heater and intake behind. My HOB filter spills over top of the wall. Fish can freely swim behind the whole contraption and I can vacuum behind it.

I didn't like the idea of permanently siliconing in a bought 3D background (although they look awesome), losing all that space and, of course, the cost!

Italy592

Members
well here is my idea i would take my time be patient and everything with this i really want a 3D background!! But i have a established 75 gallon tank been running for over a year now and have fish and everything going on in it can i still add a self made background or no ??

Italy592

Members
Red: is the place in the tank i want to put the background at!!
Green: is a possible idea for what i want to do !!
Yellow a similar idea but a few different things.

What do you think ?? be as honest please !!!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1330358050.697409.jpg

thedavidzoo

Members
I don't think it would be a problem to add the background into an established tank. As long as everything is sufficiently cured and safe chemically for the fish.

verbal

CCA Members
I don't see a post of your idea in green.

I think you have a couple of options for a corner "background". One is you can make something that will sink and place it in the tank.

The other option would be using magnets to secure a bouyant stucture to the tank back and sides.

Italy592

Members
I don't see a post of your idea in green.

I think you have a couple of options for a corner "background". One is you can make something that will sink and place it in the tank.

The other option would be using magnets to secure a bouyant stucture to the tank back and sides.

How do you do that if you dont mind me asking??

YOu guys like the idea ?? I so hope i can do this safely though thats why i want to get as much info and opinions on this idea!!!!

Hawkman2000

Members
I would recommend using cans of expanding poly-foam. That way you can spray foam around some weights to sink it. Also, I have seen people make very realistic looking backgrounds with it. A string of poly-foam painted brown looks exactly like a tree root. Lumps of it look like rocks.

Make a rectangular mold out of cardboard that matches the shape of the back of your tank and line it with wax paper. Lay a sheet of chicken wire in it with some spacers (lift it off th back) so its more inside the foam, this will add structure. Shoot poly-foam on it in a pattern. You might want to draw something up before. You will probably also have to do it a few times, poly-foam is interesting stuff to work with. Pay in mind that it has to be made in pieces. This can be done by using plastic shopping bags to separate it into sections so that when it drys, you get 2 or three section that fit perfectly together with almost invisible seems. just remember to cut the chicken wire into sections as well.

I actually made a tile backdrop for mine. Unfortunately I had to take it out. Apparently it didn't seal properly and I made a few other mistakes while making it. I'll get it right next time though.

Last edited:

Montbard

Members
I'm planning on doing this for a couple of tanks also. I'm planning on using the pink/blue dense insulation foam you get at do-it-yourself hardware store. Plan on painting it with Sweetwater Epoxy. Was thinking of the lok-tight masonary paint, but the cost is about the same so figure Sweetwater a little safer.

To answer the question about holding it in place with an established tank...
Either silicone something heavy (inert rock) inside your build, or possibly a piece of slate on the bottom (I'd use the cheap slate tiles from the do-it-yourself store). For magnets, you're looking for rare earth magnets. They are the same magnets that are used in the algae cleaner magnets or if you've seen the magnetic aquarium thermometers. One magnet would be siliconed on the piece and the other would be outside of the aquarium on the glass (make sure your polarities match up correctly or they will repel rather than attract).
They'd have to be decent sized magnets too because they need to be strong enough to penetrate the glass thickness and overcome the buoyancy of the styrofoam.

One forum talked about siliconing plastic strips at the top and bottom of the tank to hold the background in place. It won't be an option for an established tank, but thinking of playing around with the idea so I don't have permanent silicone markings on my tank in case I scrap the whole thing.

I'm not so sure about the chicken wire. Wouldn't you worry about it rusting?

Italy592

Members
Yeah it would rust deff and thank you this is alot of help and you dont thiunk my idea is bad for an established tank right >?? and what do you think of my drawings for my idea you like it ?? i just want opinions and critisim so i do this right thats all

69cichlids

Members
I built one for my 30 gal, it looked pretty good. I the the styrofoam and used quikrete repair mortar mix and some concrete sealant with 100% acrylic I let it dry between coats and then waited a week before siliconing it into the tank...after 2x days the whole thing crumbled apart and I spent a few days trying to get the background off of the glass...don't do what I did lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App