• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AquaFest 2013 Auction and Tag Sale

jonclark96

Past CCA President
CCA:

As part of AquaFest this fall, there will be a huge Sunday Auction and Tag Sale. Rules and Regulations will be posted on the AquaFest website, but a new rule regarding the number of lots an individual can enter in the auction has been put in place. Details are below:

As you all know, we started doing the Tag Sale about 2 years ago, which has been a great success in stream-lining the auction. The Tag Sale differs from the regular auction in that these items are set aside and sold with a fixed price. About halfway through the auction, they are marked down, with a short warning given in the event that sellers wish to remove their items. They are then marked down again later, with another warning.

The Tag Sale serves as a great way to remove a lot of the items which are not of general interest to the club, such as plastic plants, filter cartridges (new boxes of "extras" you might have), etc., as well as a lot of items that will not have a lot of bidders, such as someone who may have ten bags of Black Moscow Guppies. We know those are all worth $20 each, but by the ninth bag ... they're going for cheap. It is also a better way to control the selling price of an item than minimum-bids.

In order to help streamline the auction, we are instituting a new rule for AquaFest, which may become part of all Big Auctions going forward:

"The auction is limited to no more than 5 of an identical or similar item per membership. Any seller who has five or more lots of the same or similar item should enter subsequent lots into the tag sale."

What this means is that if you have 5 or more of one thing, you may enter no more than 5 of them in the auction, the rest must go into the tag sale. This includes similar items. For example, Frank cannot enter five bags of 1,000 Daphnia and three of 900 Daphnia. :-D Nor are bags of "6 Neon Tetras" different from bags of "8 Neon Tetras" etc.

There is no limit on the number of bags of an item that may be entered by different people (provided said people are not together in any way). So, we may see many bags of the same item in the auction, but from different people.

This new rule should help better streamline the auction.

davidhusker

Members
FYI for those of us using the black background forum "layout" and cannot see the grey text... (luckily I am a highlight freak and saw it..)

As you all know, we started doing the Tag Sale about 2 years ago, which has been a great success in stream-lining the auction. The Tag Sale differs from the regular auction in that these items are set aside and sold with a fixed price. About halfway through the auction, they are marked down, with a short warning given in the event that sellers wish to remove their items. They are then marked down again later, with another warning.

The Tag Sale serves as a great way to remove a lot of the items which are not of general interest to the club, such as plastic plants, filter cartridges (new boxes of "extras" you might have), etc., as well as a lot of items that will not have a lot of bidders, such as someone who may have ten bags of Black Moscow Guppies. We know those are all worth $20 each, but by the ninth bag ... they're going for cheap. It is also a better way to control the selling price of an item than minimum-bids.

In order to help streamline the auction, we are instituting a new rule for AquaFest, which may become part of all Big Auctions going forward:

"The auction is limited to no more than 5 of an identical or similar item per membership. Any seller who has five or more lots of the same or similar item should enter subsequent lots into the tag sale."

What this means is that if you have 5 or more of one thing, you may enter no more than 5 of them in the auction, the rest must go into the tag sale. This includes similar items. For example, Frank cannot enter five bags of 1,000 Daphnia and three of 900 Daphnia. :-D Nor are bags of "6 Neon Tetras" different from bags of "8 Neon Tetras" etc.

There is no limit on the number of bags of an item that may be entered by different people (provided said people are not together in any way). So, we may see many bags of the same item in the auction, but from different people.

This new rule should help better streamline the auction.

JLW

CCA Members
Hey Folks,

If you are coming to AquaFest, even for just the auction, one of the places we need a tremendous amount of manpower is the auction. I've started a thread on the PVAS forum asking for some help. You can see the number of people we need there.

http://www.pvas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=6375

If you're coming, please consider volunteering to help out. You can PM a volunteer to me, if you're not already on the PVAS forums. I'll add you to the list, just please include your name. :)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've signed up to be an auction runner on Sun AM... Siena might be my assistant.

Folks: volunteering to help on Sunday and buying stuff in the auction aren't mutually exclusive. If you're gonna be there anyway, you might as well help out a bit.

It's as easy as sending a PM to Josh and asking how you can assist!

Matt

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I've signed up to be an auction runner on Sun AM... Siena might be my assistant.

Folks: volunteering to help on Sunday and buying stuff in the auction aren't mutually exclusive. If you're gonna be there anyway, you might as well help out a bit.

Matt

Plus it makes the day go quicker. After sitting on my but for an hour or two I usually am ready to get up and move anyway.
Oh, and you get to see the fish that are being auctioned off if you are a runner. LOL

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's supposed to be a secret, Pat :)

Matt

Plus it makes the day go quicker. After sitting on my but for an hour or two I usually am ready to get up and move anyway.
Oh, and you get to see the fish that are being auctioned off if you are a runner. LOL

verbal

CCA Members

Matt

I made it even easier. Just post on this thread:
http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?p=167893#post167893

or send me a PM. Those who signed up on PVAS are already signed up(which is why not even slot is listed).