• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

250 Gallon Build Thread

davidhusker

Members
I see. I think I will wait on the elbows. I can't imagine the tank losing that much water in the sump. The water level will even be a little higher in the sumps but I just stopped adding water as I was only testing.

I didnt take any photos yesterday but my background came in a day early and I threw it on the back. Makes it look a lot more ready than without it.

I got the bulkheads sealed and added the ball valve. Also attached these copper pipe holders to the pvc return pipes under the stand. It wraps the pipe and holds them in place.

Going to re-test the seals tonight and let it run as if it were setup for a while. Also I am adding drilled caps to the overflow box pipes because there is no screening. I figured this might be the easiest way. I think there is a 99% chance one of my bristlenose finds his way into the sump if I do not cover the pipe somehow.

Eyebedam

Members
I I have contact Glass Cages to see what they charge for their cover boxes. At this point though I am not going to be putting them in before setting the tank up. If it bothers me that much I will have to fix it then.

You can take this with a grain of salt, however I own a Dual overflow tank from glass cages & if I were you, I would contact someone else other than them for overflow covers. I'm really happy with my tank & stand from them but there overflow boxes are a joke. The teeth aren't big enough, if you notice how most boxes have really smooth CnC/water jet type of grooves on there boxes where it is all precision & uniform. You WILL NOT get that from glass cages.. It looks like they just cut really small lines with a hand saw on them. You could do as good or better by yourself than what you will get from them as far as that aspect goes. Just telling you because I'd hate for you to have high expectations & be disappointed when they are delivered.

davidhusker

Members
You can take this with a grain of salt, however I own a Dual overflow tank from glass cages & if I were you, I would contact someone else other than them for overflow covers. I'm really happy with my tank & stand from them but there overflow boxes are a joke. The teeth aren't big enough, if you notice how most boxes have really smooth CnC/water jet type of grooves on there boxes where it is all precision & uniform. You WILL NOT get that from glass cages.. It looks like they just cut really small lines with a hand saw on them. You could do as good or better by yourself than what you will get from them as far as that aspect goes. Just telling you because I'd hate for you to have high expectations & be disappointed when they are delivered.

Thanks. I am not going to be putting any on at this point.

They are only charging $35 a piece for them, which is about what it would cost to even get black acrylic much less build them. So I think for the value aspect of it, you can't beat that. I understand there are better made ones probably out there. If I ever decide on installing them I'll do some research.

davidhusker

Members
So originally I had planned on having this done. Unfortunately I am still having to fix that single bulkhead which has a small sweat leak that I want to patch. But my MAIN issue is noise. I couldnt keep it running because it was just too loud. I spent a day doing research and made a trip to home depot. I bought pvc to build this Hofer Buster thing but didnt even end up needing it as a Durso style was fine.

Anyhow after testing yesterday I was very happy with the results of the change. It's running quiet with the exception of a faint humming from the pumps, but I didnt even have the stands doors on so that will help even more.

But I now have an issue. I think I have to take off the overflow pipes and cut them because the water level is just too high.

IMAG0446.jpg

It's very quiet but not even using the overflow box. Water is even almost going into the hole for the durso. Should I drill another hole to help the flow?

IMAG0448.jpg

The problem is I have never taken these pipes off. They are glued into the bulkhead, but I am 75% sure the bulkheads are not glued, I think I had to tighten one. So I would have to take the bulkhead off and cut the pipe down 1" or so and put it back on. Is there another way to do it without cutting the pipe down?

IMAG0453.jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If you have a Dremel, you can cut the pipes while still installed. Will take some patience, but probably a whole lot easier than draining the tank down and pulling the pipes out.

Try searching something like "outflow diffuser" for that part?

davidhusker

Members
If you have a Dremel, you can cut the pipes while still installed. Will take some patience, but probably a whole lot easier than draining the tank down and pulling the pipes out.

Try searching something like "outflow diffuser" for that part?

Yeah I dont know if there is a way around it. I do not need to drain the tank though, it's already lower than the overflow box so nothing will escape. I think I'll cut an inch or so off each side.

davidhusker

Members
The overflow pipes have been removed cut and replaced. It was actually very simple. The PVC Standpipes were not glued into the bulkheads as I previously thought. They were glued into an adapter which screwed into the bulkhead, so I just had to unscrew them. The tank has been running for over a day now with some filters from my 180. It will essentially be a transfer of my 180 to this tank (water, decorations, sand, filter pads, etc.) so there is no cycle time. I just wanted to make sure it ran for a couple days no leaks, etc.

The durso overflow pipes are working great and keeping it quiet.

I guess the only issue I have now goes back to the tank being level. Remember that it was just a hint off of perfect level. If you put an actual level on the tank, the bubble is right in the middle. But when there is water in there the right overflow fills completley before the left one gets water, its about 1/32" or so off. VERY SMALL. But I think this is what is causing my right overflow to be backed up. The left overflow is fine, actually could use MORE water. The right one is **** near backing up (flushing).

I am going to take today to finish the tank up. I think I'm going to completely drain it and try and find something to make it level. There is already a 2x2 on that side. Maybe a couple wood shims on top of it.

Anyhow after that, I'm going to fill it with my water from my 180 and 125 (doing water changes anyhow) and throw a heater in and actually put a couple haps in before my entire show tank goes in Wednesday. I will update with pictures tomorrow.

I also will be cutting a small hole about 4"x6" in the back of the stand to give me access to a wall outlet behind the tank. Lighting will be shop lights with 6000k T8 bulbs.

ezrk

Members
Stand might be level but the overflow heights could be slightly different. You could turn it into a herbie style system with one overflow standpipe fully submersed as a "siphon" drain with the flow rate fixed by a gate valve and the other a durso style that is basically the emergency drain. It would depend somewhat on how much you need both drains I suppose.

I changed my sumps up to herbie style and find that is much better than durso style. If I did it again I would go with the full bean animal approach (and probably external scupper boxes instead of internal overflows fwiw).

davidhusker

Members
Stand might be level but the overflow heights could be slightly different. You could turn it into a herbie style system with one overflow standpipe fully submersed as a "siphon" drain with the flow rate fixed by a gate valve and the other a durso style that is basically the emergency drain. It would depend somewhat on how much you need both drains I suppose.

I changed my sumps up to herbie style and find that is much better than durso style. If I did it again I would go with the full bean animal approach (and probably external scupper boxes instead of internal overflows fwiw).

Yeah I think that would be a lot better. But by the time I started researching standpipes and the Stockman/Durso/Herbie/Hofer options I had already had all my plumbing completely done. So adding a simple durso was the quickest and cheapest.

I do agree that maybe the overflow boxes are just a hair off. One way I have thought to fix this is to get the acrylic covers for them, and just cut one of the teeth smaller or make one cover higher.

Either way, I did drain it and bump the right side up a little. It just flipped the issue, but not quite as bad. The left is now a touch higher, but the drains seem to be about even and the noise dropped off. The tank was filled with about 100 gallons from my 180 and topped off with fresh water. The sand and rock from the 180 were moved over and I added 3 fish for testing to make sure they don't die before I put my males in today or tomorrow.

Heaters were placed in the tank. One is inside the sump, the other inside the tank. The 300watt was too long and wouldnt fit in the sump with the way I did the glass.

Thanks for following, I still have to figure out how to make a spraybar for the returns and do the lighting, etc. There is a canopy but still have to add fish, etc so havent put it on yet.

IMAG0487.jpg

IMAG0495.jpg

davidhusker

Members
I will build the spray bars soon. Based on what I've read they need to dry for 6-7 days before putting inside the aquarium. So I will update with what comes out of that.

I also will be making custom black acrylic covers for the overflow boxes. Basically I am cutting my own acrylic to just simply "hide" the overflow box/pipe.

davidhusker

Members
Fish are loving the extra space. I need to add about 10 more males but will probably hold off until Konvention.

Working on spray bars this weekend. Filters are doing awesome, crystal clear water.

Lights are on a remote (see white box on left wall) so its easy to turn them on or off.

IMAG0497.jpg

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I can't believe you made an amazing tank of basically, some other mans garbage, I know there are many people on the cca who have restored run down tanks and made them true show pieces, but you turned something that I wouldn't even feel comfortable putting fish near into a mansion for your cichlids. I can't wait to see more of this tank as you continue to improve it (even though it is very close to it's improvement limit, if there is one that is).

Hannibal

Members
Looks great! As the others I was skeptical that you would have a positive outcome from this tank, I am glad that you proved me wrong. What is your current stock list and what do you plan on adding to the mix?