• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

141x29x31 inch 360x75x80 work in progress

fishman13

Members
Today i bought the wood for the aquarium and some underlayment for the construction. I connected the parts together and glued some parts, including the underlayment. I still have to do some work at the construction, but i'm satisfied with the progress.
Getting stuff always takes a lot of time, so i hope the next few days i can work and take it easy.
I do have to buy some material to finish it, but i saw at a retail shop some laminate that i liked and can use for that and this week its for sale too!
The costs so far are:
110 euro (145 USD) for the bars + screws
240 euro (316 USD) for all the wood of the aquarium + plate material for the substructure, glue and screws
I bought everything at a retail shop where i also could use some coupons for 20% off.

View attachment 3516

View attachment 3517

View attachment 3518

View attachment 3519

View attachment 3520

Nice tank in the wall. What size is it?

aislinn

Members
The cupboard under the hopper is just about ready, the intention is to get some electrical connections in it as a number of timers for lighting.
I started with a few things, I still want to do, while waiting for the leaching of the new aquarium.
I want the filter system connected to the reservoir of the toilet so that when you flush the toilet you do that with used aquarium water and the aquarium fills with fresh clean tap water (you would normally flush the toilet with).
This way you get every day some fresh water in the aquarium system, depending on how often you use the toilet.
We have historically done this before, it works fine and the 3 or 2 weekly water changes are no longer necessary, moreover, in this way no water thrown away. Now, this example with an aquarium of 300 liters is not that big a problem.
In our case, the tank system is out of 5000 liters.
In this way, the water quality values and always on the same level.
A major disadvantage of this method of water changes is that for example, every day you need 150 liters of water to add unheated, here I make a buffer of about 250 liters, where the water is heated by including a number of central lines and in a later stage the planned solar collector.
The buffer will be placed behind the existing filterline.
When for some reason i don't want to continue with the things i wrote about above, the buffer can be connected to the filter system.

2eok5me.jpg

k4fs5t.jpg

2va18is.jpg

34t5xcz.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
That's a great idea with using aquarium water to flush your toilet with. I've never heard of anyone doing that before, but it makes great sense if you can manage the plumbing.

hotwingz

Members
Ya wow thats an awesome idea!!! Way to be ecinomical in your excess of water lol

Sent from my PG86100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aislinn

Members
I drove to Groningen(the north part of the Netherlands) I bought a bundle of kienwood
for 50 euros.
I checked the price of that stuff and came to the conclusion that you per kilo driftwood also some semi-precious can buy.
I think the 50 euros that I paid is not too much to spent.
I don't know if you can also buy this in the rest of the world, but from this wood i only know its taken on a small scale at the border between The Netherlands and Germany. Its very common to use here in aquariums. Kienwood can be thousands of years old.

Kien Wood is a remnant of forests that covered the earth in ages. Trunks and stumps of them were in the wet peat contact and it sank deeper and deeper way. The wood has been over the centuries under a common meter thick acidic peat should be placed providing it with oxygen cut off, was well preserved. In raised bogs are found remains of oak, pine, birch and alder. In peat but lacks the willow and ash are also often present. The peat by this material is often a less desirable byproduct. In the peat areas, however, was much used as a fuel, an advantage in earlier times was that it gave on burning bright. The wood, that dig in wet and soft, after some weeks of hard by air-drying. Even if timber could driftwood that under favorable conditions had been preserved properly serve.

2v8qy3m.jpg

2n66b9.jpg

29c2ufk.jpg

Last edited:

aislinn

Members
I have to put the wood in the water, but cant do it in my new aquarium at the moment, because its empty again to make some small adjustments. So i made something in the garden from some old table parts and put some pond liner in it, so i can leave the wood in there for 2 or 3 weeks. Strange the outside arena is about 240 cm long and 60 cm high. I used about 20 screws and never thought about the sides not going to hold it or not being waterproof. Unlike the new aquarium i'm building and using all kinds of special materials (screws and glue).

sgtm4x.jpg

2cfx3c.jpg

25te25j.jpg

aislinn

Members
I took the water out of the 360 aquarium to make some small adjustments to the mounting of the window. And now i'm waiting to get my ordered liquid pond liner to finish it of.
Most time last week i spend on making the filter and finish of everything with wood. I still need to place some slats but its mostly finished.
And the filter needs also to be made waterproof, so thats why i also need the pond liner i ordered.
Off the side of the Malawi aquarium are the filter/buffer parts now ground floor. Both aquariums are now through the in and out flow bins on the sides of the aquariums linked.
I hope in the next few days to lay the pipe to the toilet, and a water supply line from the meter cupboard. I need to drill through the floor for this several times, this is tricky. At certain points there are a bunch of pipes in the concrete.

207q5ow.jpg

30wnnu8.jpg

2hd5z61.jpg

aislinn

Members
2aeo48n.jpg

I did make a extra reinforcement bar on the botton against the window.

33m1xlj.jpg

The buffer is now also waterproof.

1xmol.jpg

The sand i did put also in the tank.

w71q34.jpg

The wood in the aquarium is almost done.

xfp0ki.jpg

651k3r.jpg

Here are the connections to the toilet

aislinn

Members
This is just a summary of the past 2 weeks.
At the moment I write this I did remove all the wood from the tank
eventually it became an malawi aquarium so the wood would not be suitable in there. The larger species from this lake i want to keep.
2dwf042.jpg

2hplto5.jpg

2e0ln2a.jpg

fyz3d.jpg

8xiq85.jpg

This are the night lights.
33wxyc0.jpg

The inflow from the fresh water in the tank.