• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Mbuna

They do meet much of your criteria in that a 29 is fine for them and I believe they breed readily (I've never kept them myself). However, I believe there are a few people in the club already breeding them -- Matt Chambers is one -- that I'm not sure what kind of market there is for more.

chriscoli

Administrator
Personally, I think that the club is overwhelmed in Kribs right now. Several of us have had them breeding recently and are selling off bags of juvies every meeting. I personally have a 10 gallon tank full of babies that I don't think I could sell for very much. That being said, they have been selling for a small amount at every meeting (which means that those other club members that are raising all of these juvies are going to start having them spawn soon, too!)

I've even been trying to stop my pair from breeding because I have so many.

BUT there's more to owning a fish than just raising fry to sell. Common Kribs are brightly colored, really great parents, and they are very fun to watch doing their mating dance and raising their babies.

And, if you wait long enough, everyone else in the club might get rid of theirs and you'll have the whole market to yourself. These things all go in cycles. Your'e coming in at what I believe is the peak of the "CCA Common Krib cycle".

daninmd

Members
My LFS will most likely pay for some 1" ones. $2-3 store credit for each one.

good luck with that, i have not had very good success in selling fish to any LFS. if you already have a relationship with them, then maybe you can, but dont expect much. i stopped raising fry because i couldnt sell them to the LFS, so stopped trying. when i finally did get a LFS to give me credit for fish, i only got $5 for about a dozen F2 white top hara. thats not worth it to me.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Focusing on making money by trying to breed and sell fish is a great way to suck the fun out of the hobby...and end up none the richer...

Keep (and breed) fish that you like and enjoy. If you don't know what you like, experiment.

Just because a fish is common or easily bred doesn't make it a poor choice. More often, just the opposite :) I often wonder how many folks in the club have successfully bred and raised kribs, rainbows and some of the "common" fish that "everyone" has. A small minority, I'd bet. Give them a try - they're both wonderful (and worth the effort).

The club BAP program is an excellent way to get credit and recognition for your skill in breeding and raising fish.

Matt

good luck with that, i have not had very good success in selling fish to any LFS. if you already have a relationship with them, then maybe you can, but dont expect much. i stopped raising fry because i couldnt sell them to the LFS, so stopped trying. when i finally did get a LFS to give me credit for fish, i only got $5 for about a dozen F2 white top hara. thats not worth it to me.

Breeding fish when you have limited tanks does get complicated, I have found. As some of you know, I was so successful at breeding rainbow cichlids that not only is the club inundated wtih them, but I finally had to give away my last pair (which I dearly loved) because I had no homes for the fry and no way to keep them all. I also recently sold my lovely female BN because she and her boyfriend were getting too busy for me to handle.

If you're interesting in breeding, why not try some of the rare or endangered ones. You might not be successful. but if you are, that's a great benefit to the hobby.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Nice, if you can get it

My LFS will most likely pay for some 1" ones. $2-3 store credit for each one.
I called Tropical Lagoon earlier this year and they didn't want kribensis juveniles, even for free. I donated about 20 to Showcase.

I've got another 30 that are about an inch long. Thought I'd put some in future auctions, too, but I certainly don't expect to make money on this.

Anybody want some juvies? :) No reasonable offers will be refused!

verbal

CCA Members
We are far into the discussion on the marketplace thread, so I will continue here :)

I agree with Matt that a focus on the financial aspects can ruin the hobby for many. However I think that breeding to defray costs isn't a bad goal.

Holly brings up a good point of trying something that is rare/endangered. I don't think you really have to go that far off the beaten path the have success. Start off with kribs, figure out how to provide them the conditions to spawn and raise young. Move on to one of the other Pelvicachromis species and rather than having to give fish away, you have people wanting to buy or at least trade for your fry.

We are far into the discussion on the marketplace thread, so I will continue here :)

I agree with Matt that a focus on the financial aspects can ruin the hobby for many. However I think that breeding to defray costs isn't a bad goal.

Holly brings up a good point of trying something that is rare/endangered. I don't think you really have to go that far off the beaten path the have success. Start off with kribs, figure out how to provide them the conditions to spawn and raise young. Move on to one of the other Pelvicachromis species and rather than having to give fish away, you have people wanting to buy or at least trade for your fry.

+1

Arlene