• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

WTB Mbuna

zackcrack00

Members
I have a 29 gallon and I want to buy a MATED PAIR of mbuna.. I WILL be at the next meeting... Anyone got anything???

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd do a male and several (5-6) females of a milder, smaller species like Rusties (Iodotropheus), Labs, or Cynotilapia.

29g is a bit small but you'll be able to get away with it with those guys vs. larger, meaner mbuna (like Tropheops, Metriaclima, Melanochromis, Pseudotropheus, etc.)

Matt

zackcrack00

Members
Will they breed in the tank? Can anyone please get on chat and talk about this with me? I am so frustrated and CONFUSED!!!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Slow down, buddy :)

Success will come from properly matching the tank you have (a 29g) with fish that will do well in it. Happy fish breed (I promise).

You want to breed (and then maybe some months down the road) sell fish that people will appreciate. Check out www.cichlid-forum.com's profiles and see what appeals to you and what will work in a 29g tank. Or get a bigger tank :)

Once you've narrowed things down to a few that you really like, we'll help you find some and get you stated.

It might seem confusing but everyone's trying to help :)

Matt

Will they breed in the tank? Can anyone please get on chat and talk about this with me? I am so frustrated and CONFUSED!!!!

Zack -- a 29- gallon tank is not really recommended for mbuna. Even mild mannered mbuna like rusties or labs need a minimum 40 breeder well landscaped to succeed. That said, could you put some mbuna in your 29 and get babies. Maybe, possibly. Are you going to leave the babies in the tank? Then you're not going to get a huge number of survivors. Generally speaking, people serious about breeding Africans will pull the holding females and strip them i.e. force the babies out and raise them separate from the parents. The parents will, if they can, eat the babies. So you would need another tank for this endeavor.

There are other cichlids from South American or even Central America what can more easily live happily in a 29 and, as good parents, are able to raise their fry in the tank -- provided you dont have other fish like cories or tetras -- that will pick off the babies.

Why don't you come to the meeting with an open mind and talk to some of the experienced breeders in the club. They can recommend a good species for your needs.

zackcrack00

Members
I am going to buy some fish at the meeting, and I will post my desired species here, like Matt said, then you guys tell me if they're okay, sound good?

zackcrack00

Members
Mybe a pair of cichlids that protect their spawn, like convicts... Any suggestions? I may/may not get a fry tank, (my mother may not let me) so I need something that will protect their spawn.. That I can buy as a pair at the next meeting...

zackcrack00

Members
Here is what I am looking for: Cichlids I can keep in a single pair, WILL NOT EAT FRY, will be happy in a 29 gallon standard, and I can easily sell to get rid of the spawn...

Leffler817

CCA Members
I PM'ed you. I agree with everything said so far. Mbuna aren't the best choice to start out with and a 29 is a smaller tank.

Regardless of the fish you choose to keep, PATIENCE is an absolute must and it will reward you in time. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AquaStudent

Members
I PM'ed you. I agree with everything said so far. Mbuna aren't the best choice to start out with and a 29 is a smaller tank.

Regardless of the fish you choose to keep, PATIENCE is an absolute must and it will reward you in time. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Patience is very important :D

I also agree with everything that has been said so far. Let me add my little bit of experience.

I joined the cichlid hobby two summers ago with a 29 gallon mixed African Cichlid tank (mostly mbunas). I didn't know what I was doing and just played it by ear, usually picking up fish from the LFS's "mixed cichlid" tank. Last summer I decided to upgrade to a 55g tank. I was hesitant to at first because I have to move my tanks to and from college (a 6 hour drive) but in retrospect I can't come up with any negatives for upgrading.

A 29 gallon was too small for these active and fairly large fish. Once you start incorporating breeding aggressions into their already aggressive temperament you could have a big mess on your hand.

Like what other people have said you may want to try looking at some of the SA/CA dwarf cichlids. I'm looking into some Apisto's myself :D. I also strongly agree with the Fry tank. It'll be much easier to care for the fry if you have them separated from the parents (especially as they grow older).

With that said, (some may disagree with this) in my opinion, I think the best way to learn something new is through experience. Try something and see if it works. Everyone has their style of working this hobby. What works for one person may not translate well to another. The question is, what works well for you?

:D

chriscoli

Administrator
I think the best way to learn something new is through experience. Try something and see if it works. Everyone has their style of working this hobby. What works for one person may not translate well to another. The question is, what works well for you?

:D

Well said, I made a lot of mistakes when I started out (I still make mistakes!) but sometimes you hit on a combo that works.

zackcrack00

Members
So what kind of cichlids can I get? I want something that will live in a single pair, and protect their fry, and will be easy to get rid of when they spawn a lot... So, again, any suggestions?

chriscoli

Administrator
Have you thought about trying some Julidochromis? They're not new world but would be fine in a 29 and will live with multiple generations of fry. They are a little trickier to breed sometimes, though.

One thing you have to consider is whether or not you will have a market for your fry. I don't know where you are located, but here in Maryland we have lost the best LFS that would take fish for credit. If you have a species that is already over-represented in CCA or which is not so in demand, you will have to expand your market to include shipping elsewhere -- which is a whole 'nother thing. So just something to consider when choosing your species.