• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

The start of the fish room remodel.

Jim Anderson

CCA Members
Thanks for sharing Pat, as always very nice fish and set up. It wouldn't be the same not seeing you, your awesome fish and the line at your table.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thanks guys.
Tracey and I will be there. I registered for the event and some tables the other day.

A list will show up when we get closer.
As always my fish will only be avail first come first served at the event.
I do not take pre orders.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Well I have complained before about my air system. I finally emailed jehmco to get a price on a larger linear.

In the mean time I hooked up my old blower.

Funny part was that I screwed up at first. I accidentally hooked the line up to the intake rather than the exhaust on the blower. I turned it on and walked into the room. No air? Lol. I did manage to fill my pipes up with water since the blower was sucking it out of the tanks. I managed to fix it before damage was done.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Well I have complained before about my air system. I finally emailed jehmco to get a price on a larger linear.

In the mean time I hooked up my old blower.

Funny part was that I screwed up at first. I accidentally hooked the line up to the intake rather than the exhaust on the blower. I turned it on and walked into the room. No air? Lol. I did manage to fill my pipes up with water since the blower was sucking it out of the tanks. I managed to fix it before damage was done.
Was the problem with the pump or was it just undersized?

Good thing you caught the issue with the blower quickly or that could've been a huge mess to clean up.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I think it’s the fact I used 1 inch pipe instead of 1 1/2 like the old room. The pump seems to be fine. The filters are clean. I have adding air stones to some of the filters.
I will tell you that while I don’t like the whine sound in the basement right now, I love the amount of filtration I am getting. Or at least I think I’m getting. The humidity is up in there though. Lol

I may not go back. We will see.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I need to reread the thread to revisit the issues and see how it relates to mine. I ended up putting together a half inch system because that's what I found and I wanted it together before I did the research.

I've been wanting to upgrade my system to 1 or 1.5 inch but kept putting it off because there was a chance we were going to move and I didn't want to set it up then tear it down.

We'll still eventually move but I think it's far enough away that it'd be beneficial to redo the system while I'm here. Now I just need to determine the pipe size and if my current pump would still be sufficient.

So for your purposes Pat- you're sticking at 1 inch, just pushing more air?

IndianaSam

CCA Members
I need to reread the thread to revisit the issues and see how it relates to mine. I ended up putting together a half inch system because that's what I found and I wanted it together before I did the research.

I've been wanting to upgrade my system to 1 or 1.5 inch but kept putting it off because there was a chance we were going to move and I didn't want to set it up then tear it down.

We'll still eventually move but I think it's far enough away that it'd be beneficial to redo the system while I'm here. Now I just need to determine the pipe size and if my current pump would still be sufficient.

So for your purposes Pat- you're sticking at 1 inch, just pushing more air?
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of larger diameter pipe in an air system?

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of larger diameter pipe in an air system?
I'm far from an expert and still learning, I'll have to find an old thread where Josh W and Dave G offered some good advice. The basic thing I remember is larger pipe = more air volume, but of course your pump has to be appropriately sized to maintain adequate pressure, but also not oversized where it puts excess back pressure on the pump.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Been in contact with jehmco the last few days. They made some suggestions. Rather than changing to a $650.00 pump they recommended adding a second smaller pump to the system. So I now have another linear to add into the system. I thought about splitting my system into two but they thought that was not needed. Just add the second one to the current setup.
Before I do that I think I’m going to run another circuit to the pumps. Right now the pump has other items with it on the circuit outside of the fish room.
So, due to that and having to add the new pump into the system, it may take me a week or so to find the time to handle this. In the mean time the blower will more than handle the system. I am coming close to blowing the fish out of the tanks but love how much flow I seem to be getting now.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I decided to reread the thread to see what the air issue was, it's been quite the 4 year journey, then I realized what I was looking for was on page 16.🙄

I'm wondering if I can help my air issue just by replacing with larger pipe, have to figure out what size to bump up to. I think I can still go into home Depot? When I put together my original system I think it took at least 3 trips and sometimes I was there for a while.

If I don't start soon I'll have to break it down before I finish. Adding another pump seems easier but I'm not sure where I'd add a second pump and I've been wanting to glue the system anyway. I figure if I need to take it all apart to do that I might be better off just starting fresh if it won't cost too much.

Don't mean to hijack Pat, just typing out my relatable issue. Curious to see how your upgrade goes and if it puts you back where you need to be.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Still have not added the new air pump into the system.
Been happy with the air I’m getting from the blower.
Plus I have not had the time to add the new circuit breaker and run the wiring.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Looks great Pat, thanks for sharing. I think you need some more Red Empress!:rolleyes:
Know anywhere I can get some? People always ask for them and I can only get a few colored up at a time. We will see if I can figure out how to come up with the space for them.