• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Tanks for the Memories!

hurtmypony

Members
Chapter Five: For Those About To Rock, We Refute You.

Saul Bellow: “A fool can throw a stone in a pond that 100 wise men cannot get out.”

If a year ago, Future Me, having somehow mastered time travel, arrived at my doorstep to prophesize that in one year’s time, I would be anxiously pacing the hall and compulsively peering out the window in anticipation of the arrival of a fake rock, I would have called him a fraud, hit him in the face with a shovel and looked in the bushes for Ashton Kutcher.

But, last Monday there I was, fulfilling destiny, staring down the cul-de-sac around the time the UPS guy usually hits our neighborhood.

I hate you, Future Me. You are a know-it-all. And you are getting fat.

The rock arrived in a box far too small for it, as the outermost piece of it had breached the cardboard. There was no damage to the finish, though, and it was just how it looks on the website. It is approximately 31 inches long, 15 inches high and about 8 inches thick – a perfect size to take up most of the decorating room in my 55 gallon. A few facts, in case anyone is interested in these:

1. It is completely flexible, but it doesn’t retain the shape into which you bend it. My tank had water and substrate in it, and while it was incredibly easy to get in the tank, it was difficult to maneuver into perfect position. One side would pop out of the sand while I fiddled with the other. I was thrashing around and splashing water on the walls like an angler wrestling a bass into a boat (exaggeration!).

2. It also wasn’t perfectly planar along the back, so though it is designed to rest flat against the back of the tank, one end will always keel away from the glass. This could probably be remedied by placing something heavy on it for a couple of days, but I was too excited to do things properly.

3. It is perfectly weighted – light enough to move around easily, but heavy enough to sink immediately.

I would probably be better off draining the tank and adhering it to the glass with silicon, but I kind of like it loose so I can clean behind it. Plus, the side that careens away from the glass is in the far corner and is also obscured by a plant, so nothing is lost aesthetically.

Anyway, while I am 100% satisfied with the look of it, I hope is serves its function well. It has lots of holes for the Mbuna to enjoy, but its hollow, so all holes lead to a giant cavern. I hope this doesn’t detract from the feeling of security or result in nastier turf wars.

Here’s a picture, taken after the sand settled from my endeavors. (Note the position of the Koralia, standing in direct defiance of Reel Addiction's perfectly sound advice):

tank1.jpg

chris_todd

Members
Smarmy know-it-all future selves! :lol:

You might have just sold a lot more of their fake rocks - that is sweet looking!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The fake rock looks pretty good. Where did you get it from?

Also, it looks like you have set up the intake on the Ehiem in an unconventional way. It looks like you are using the hook shaped hard tube for the out put and the straight tube for the input. One mine, the straight tube has a series of small holes and is intended to be used as the spray bar. The hook shaped tube is used for the intake and the hook sits over the rim of the tank to hold the intake in a vertical position. I am sure it works the way you have it set up, but maybe not as intended from Ehiem.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
that looks like a nice tang tank you should stay away from the malugly fish and come to the dark side (tanganikan) we have cookies :)

Wow Tim. That rock is badass.

Don't let Caleb sway you towards his boring Tangs. Stay the course, pick up some mbuna and enjoy the action.

Cartel

Members
Lookin good. That website has seeral neat looking items. Im not a fan of fishless cycles just because im inpatient. I would look into finding someone close with a sponge you can borrow or squeeze some gunk out of like Matt suggested. I have only cycled a tank once and never looked back works for me at least.

hurtmypony

Members
Also, it looks like you have set up the intake on the Ehiem in an unconventional way. It looks like you are using the hook shaped hard tube for the out put and the straight tube for the input. One mine, the straight tube has a series of small holes and is intended to be used as the spray bar. The hook shaped tube is used for the outtake and the hook sits over the rim of the tank to hold the intake in a vertical position. I am sure it works the way you have it set up, but maybe not as intended from Ehiem.

Thanks for noticing that, it was another question I had about setting up this very unfamiliar canister.

My goal was to assemble it in a way the intake hose will least likely unhinge from the spray bar and ruin both the basement and my relationship.

When I first set it up as it should be (and as yours is), I noticed the hose FROM the canister TO the "shepard's crook" top of the spray bar had to bend unnaturally 90 degrees outside the tank, which made me cautious about it unhinging.

So, I set it up this way, hoping that if it did unhinge, the intake hose would at least remain in the tank.

But I am unconvinced my way is better. Here's a close-up of where I mean:

tank3.jpg

First off, do you think I stuffed the hose far enough on the spray bar to avoid a mishap? I kind of like the spray bar across the top horizontally, to better agitate the surface water, but safety is first and foremost!

Last edited:

hurtmypony

Members
Thank you for the compliments, guys. Your advice, support and encouragement is invaluable to me.

Here's another close-up of the rock...

tank2.jpg

You can cut more holes, and there are plenty of places to do so and have them look natural. I just kept this one as standard. I am excited how it matches my real Texas Holey Rock perfectly (the one on the left in the original pictures)!

Last edited:

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Tim:

I must have a different/older model of the spray bar than you do. Mine does not have the hook on the spray bar, but has several short 90 degree bends that use tubing in between to get into the tank. I am also a bit sketchy about what would happen if one of the joints failed and have yet to come up with a good answer. Short term, I have used some packing tape to adhere the tubing to the back of the tank to minimize any movement and hopefully minimize any chance the hoses would come disconnected.

Tony

Tim:

I must have a different/older model of the spray bar than you do. Mine does not have the hook on the spray bar, but has several short 90 degree bends that use tubing in between to get into the tank. I am also a bit sketchy about what would happen if one of the joints failed and have yet to come up with a good answer. Short term, I have used some packing tape to adhere the tubing to the back of the tank to minimize any movement and hopefully minimize any chance the hoses would come disconnected.

John - check out that rubber tape they pitch on infomercials to wrap plumbing. I think they may sell it at Home Depot now, but not sure. I know something liek that would male me sleep better at night.

hurtmypony

Members
John - check out that rubber tape they pitch on infomercials to wrap plumbing. I think they may sell it at Home Depot now, but not sure. I know something liek that would male me sleep better at night.

Is the tape submersible and anti-leaching?

I looked into traditional hose fasteners at Home Depot for the intake and outtake hoses, and found nothing that seemed sized right. I have a bag of industrial strip-ties I bought, but I don't think the teeth on them are far enough down on the strip to truly tighten the tie around the Eheim hoses.

Tony

No idea. I know it doesn't use adhesive, just sort of sticks to itself. Figured it would be good for use outside the tank, on fitting joints.

hurtmypony

Members
I'll just order some of the official Eheim Brand "So Pricey Some People Actually Use Them As Engagement Rings" Hose Clamps and not worry about it.

Even the simplest of my DIY projects fail unquestionably. It's all very sad. I can't even improvise a hose clamp. Then, I look on the forums of Monster Fish Keepers and see people with threads entitled "My Homemade Fusion-Powered Water Treatment System" and feel even worse.

minifoot77

Members
just make your own the first is my 120 that i didn't paint the second is my 55 and is black on a black background and the third is my 150.... the first two are due for water changes :)

IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

hurtmypony

Members
just make your own the first is my 120 that i didn't paint the second is my 55 and is black on a black background and the third is my 150.... the first two are due for water changes :)

Extremely nice! The black-on-black is almost invisible. But that set-up requires confidence and skill in its crafter, and if I try to introduce visible and bare PVC pipe into the TV room, The Duchess will summon me to her chambers for a curt summary of what is considered acceptable aesthetics.

I also lack tools and any kind of craftsmanship basics. Building waterworks from scratch won't be the best starting point for me to learn them.

It kind of sucks - I have also been looking at:

DIY LED Lighting
DIY Canopy building
DIY Lighting stands

So I can avoid the high cost of these things when store bought, AND learn to be a better handyman, AND have an absorbing hobby and the pride of producing something by hand.

But my toolbox is pretty bare.

By the time I calculate the cost of the tools needed to do most of them, the price would run the same as if I just bought all that stuff right out of the box. I also live in a townhouse, so I have no yard for sawhorses and belt sanders.

As for the output hose, I am going to try the zip-ties, first. I'll alert The Duchess to keep her snorkel on standby.