• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

May CCA Meeting

rsanz

monster tank newbie
Unfortunately I couldn't stay for long. I'm in the middle of the final stretch of my Master's thesis. Stayed just long enough to say hello and grab some fantastic Nerites from Rachel. :)

maddog10

Members
Was a great meeting!! I need a job that lets me get out and meet some people. I get stuck behind the auction table for most of the meeting.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I had a lot of fun as well - actually got there a little early

What a great speaker! It would have been good to have a Q&A session...but I think that we'd still be there...

Got some great fish in the auction. Where else can you come home with a bag each of Inca Stone Fish and Ctenochromis?

And as always its great to see the CCA community growing and expanding - too many nice people to mention!

Matt

maddog10

Members
Even I bought some fish today! Some cool little gobies, they are already exploring their new 150 gallon home.

F8LBITE

Members
yep great meeting today. I remember reading about Ad Konings way back when. I never dreamed that I would ever meet him! All thanks to the CCA!! Scored some nice fish and plants today too.

rsretep

Members
yes i agree great meeting and wonderful speaker i also never thought i would ever be able to meet "the cichlid god" mr. ad konings

grabbed some great fish this month

thanks to all

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I have to say that it was a great meeting and I had more fun than I have had at most of our previous meetings. It may just have been Susan the snail but I'm not sure.

I have absolutely no interest in the fishes of lake Malawi so the substance of the talk was definitely not for me. I know that we have a VERY great number in our club who think Malawi is the ONLY lake so we had one for them. I like it. Aulonocara? What are those Richard? I hope they loved it because there is nobody better than Ad. Like Lake Malawi or not, we learned a good deal about speciation in the lake and how difficult it is to split fish into pigeon holes.

For some reason there was, and I think it may have originated on this forum, a feeling of reaching out and getting to know other members. There have been some on here who have expressed a difficulty with meeting and getting to know other members. It is tough to walk into a crowd of strangers and fit in. I sure hope others had this feeling and embraced it. It seemed like one of our biggest meetings, but one of our more cohesive. I heard more people called by name both in the joke session (kidding) before the meeting and during the auction. That's a very good sign. I'm starting to like this club more all the time and I have been here from the beginning.

I hate to drag on but are we going to have vendors at the meetings? I know a couple of folks who would like the opportunity. What do we charge? $25 a table? $50? Just wondering? Might not be a bad idea if we could put it in the hall? Just a thought. It is customary for vendors to DONATE items to the club to auction.

George:angel2:

Lively

Members
Just finished rearranging the tanks and setting up the girl's tanks, too!

What an absolute BLAST! I got to hear *most* of the lecture and I picked up the fish on the very top of my wish list! The apistos look wonderful in the new home - when I got home it was a bare QT tank I had the EB's in and now it is a lush heavily planted haven for my newest little lovlies! I moved the EB's into the tank I intended them to be in after QT and moved Brutus (my BGJD) to hang out with my dempsey grow outs. I think being in a tank with no hiding places and lots of different fish might help him be more social.

I'm still wound up.

I had so much fun - thank you everyone for a fantastic afternoon!

marge618

CCA member
Great meeting. Thank you all for your enthusiasm .. and especially Ad Konings. What a wonderful turn out.

Another plus. I really like this forum. The follow-up posts from the meeting really add to the whole experience.

To those that ''hooked' the fish of their dreams. Well, take good care of them so you can bring their offspring to a meeting soon for the auction.

Today's food was a new menu and seemed to go over well. Pat, you and your 'First Lady' sure make things happen. A special thank you to those who ran the auction and to those who stayed to help clean up... and to Frannie, who makes sure we leave the place in good shape.

Cartel

Members
Had a good time had to jet out before the auction was up so I didnt get to bid on alot of items I really wanted oh well! All in all great day.

mrkillie

Members
I had a great time and I think George is right-it was easier to start meeting some people after having been active on this forum for a while. Now, when I post this, am I going to be green? Or is there going to be a lag time? Let's see.....

Joel

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Well, I waited for this meeting for many months... it sure didn't disappoint!!! I want to thank everyone for welcoming me with open arms, it felt really great to be surrounded by my own kind for the first time in my life. I got to meet some people that I've admired and known of online for quite a while, finding out that Julie was one of the gang from the ACRF back in the day was really cool too. I didn't get anything in the auction, but there sure were some great deals to be had. I'll never forget the day that my 10 yr old son Seth got to ask Ad Konings about the Serranochromis robustus, I could tell by the look on Ad's face that he hadn't been asked about that fish much and sure wasn't expecting that to be the fish my son had a question about. Seth picked that fish out of the book by himself, to be honest I didn't know it existed when he asked me about it several months ago... I told him those would be good questions for "The Man". Thanks to Julie, Seth is now the proud owner of his first cichlids... Lamprologus stappersii "meleagris". Thanks to Sarah for the awesome BN's, Mike for the Mag 24, and my buddy Pat for all the bioballs and overflow, and driving us around town. Thanks again to everyone!!! Very special day for me :)

toddnbecka

Members
I thoroughly enjoyed Ad's presentation on the peacocks. Made me wish I had tankspace available for some of the beauties in the auction. Maybe by the time fry are turning up in the meeting auctions I'll have room for some.

lonlangione

Members
I said it before and I'll say it again. I have been around this hobby for over 35 years, and I have never belonged to a better club. Every month I learn a few more names. People who share a great hobby and who are all willing to share their knowledge and help one another. It was great seeing the ECC guys there today. As well as all of the new members. The day is coming that this club will host an ACA convention. I can't wait till the day comes. And when we do, we will put on one of the best conventions the ACA has ever had.

Lonny

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Thank you everyone.
Yesterday was indeed a good day.

I counted 98 adults during the talk and then about 1/2 way through 2 more came in.

So, roughly we had:
100 adults plus children
7 new members to the club
Approx 170 items in the "mini auction"

We went through:
22 Two Litre bottles of soda.
24 Pounds of ice
15 pounds of meatballs,
50 hot dogs
120 rolls
400 cookies
7 bags of chips
and a ton of veggies. lol

Thank you
Wendy for making the Veggie platter
I know Li brought something.
I am sorry I did not see who else did.

Thank you John for the last minute idea of just buying a PA system. It was the best idea of the day.

Thank you Lonny and Kurt for doing the auction.

Thank you Richard, Marge, Sarah, Tracey, Mike and John for working the tables while I ran around like I was nuts.

Thank you to Uncleruckus's boys for their help along with Kets.

Thank you runners.

Thank you Sarah for the box exchange.

Thank you Julie for setting up the donation box from Atlantis.

Thank you to all that donated to the club yesterday.

Thank you Fischfan13 for brining your possie down.

Thank you Ad for always making our meetings great and for being THE CICHLID GOD.

Thank you to all members for being in the club. It was only about 5 years ago a couple of us discussed just shutting the club down. We were tired of doing the work and not many people were participating. Meetings were 20 people of less. The mini auction was 5 items. Those days are gone. This club still is growing and getting stronger.

Thank you to everyone that I forgot to thank. I always manage to upset someone when I decide to do some thank you's. I am sorry.

I only have one more thing to say at this point.

We are:
The Capital Cichlid Association, Inc.
A Growing Force in the Cichlid Hobby

jroo99

Members
Thanks Pat for inviting us from ECC down. It was nice to meet all the CCA members, you truly have a great club.

I haven't been to many events only a few auctions and this past day will stick with me for a long time and has inspired me to go to more outings. It was great meeting AD and getting a picture with him. He is really a nice down to earth guy. I can't wait for the next trip.

Sarah thanks for the Gobies, they are settled in and looking allsome, as well as all the other fish I got from the auction for next to nothing.

John