• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

March Meeting Of The Cca: Items people are bringing for mini-auction

Having this fisherman background, I tend to rely on this old saying about the size of the catch, "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell...and make up lies". Of course I'm only talking about a little exaggeration here and there. :character0053:

Back to my original point. I saw on a German site that the proto spilo 'Tanzania' male gets to 23 cm. That's a little over 9". I know my old p. spilo was around eight plus inches when I got rid of him. Still kinda cramp for a fish that size in a four foot tank. I have kept a overstocked four footer with haps and peacocks for years. I'm just suggesting that I wouldn't start over again with a four foot tank for them. Seven inch fish and smaller make more sense to me.Need a lot of water changes and filtration to keep them happy. But then again, that's the case with all kept fish. :smile:

DeeCee

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Feb 22 2008, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
lol I got a kick out of this...

Just so everone knows... c-f is a bit liberal with their sizes. THey usually are on the side of caution and say they get a tad bigger than they really do. Some they are right on... but some are a little liberal. THe sizes are suposed to be aquarium sizes. But, some are wild sizes.... some fish get HUGE in the african lakes. Tropheus... for example, I have heard of 8 inch fish in the lake. I have never seen an 8 inch tropheus... have you? :lol:[/b]

So..........you mean that C F uses the MAN Ruler instead of the Women Ruler, eh? 'Nuff said~~

:happy0007: :winking0004: :happy0007:

JustRon

Members
No controversy here, just that I have never seen one get that big. I agree that a 6 foot tank is probably best, definately a 75 at least.

JustRon

Members
PS: Sarah, what about the typhus. I might like to breed them again. Is it a group, males/females, size?

cyradis4

Members
'Kmon folks!!!!

What else is everyone thinking of bringing? Just put what you are willing to part with on the table and see if people are interested!!!!! Thats what I did. Course, no one seems to be interested in mine, but I might be interested in someone else's!!!!!!

I also like those fish of Richards, and might consider bidding as well.......

Later!
Amanda.

JustRon

Members
Anyone want those 2 large Venezuelan Oscars?

I will check this weekend about the fry I have to bring in for BAP or just to move out of my fishroom.

Sarah, males and females?

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DeeCee @ Feb 22 2008, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (longstocking @ Feb 22 2008, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lol I got a kick out of this...

Just so everone knows... c-f is a bit liberal with their sizes. THey usually are on the side of caution and say they get a tad bigger than they really do. Some they are right on... but some are a little liberal. THe sizes are suposed to be aquarium sizes. But, some are wild sizes.... some fish get HUGE in the african lakes. Tropheus... for example, I have heard of 8 inch fish in the lake. I have never seen an 8 inch tropheus... have you? :lol:[/b]

So..........you mean that C F uses the MAN Ruler instead of the Women Ruler, eh? 'Nuff said~~

:happy0007: :winking0004: :happy0007:
[/b][/quote]

Very Funny Silly~~!!

animicrazy

Members
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JustRon @ Feb 22 2008, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone want those 2 large Venezuelan Oscars?

I will check this weekend about the fry I have to bring in for BAP or just to move out of my fishroom.

Sarah, males and females?[/b]

Wild eh ?? - and BIG eh - Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

could make a man dream

p.

neoprodigy

Administrator
Staff member
i can donate few pound of bags rocks.. i got them from that fish place about 13 years ago.... they are un-open ... (i like my tank bare) i will dig up some un-used items also...

marge618

CCA member
Hoping that bringing this topic up as part of prep for the March CCA mini-auction will help make the auction even better.

QUOTE (DeeCee @ Jan 28 2008, 07:35 PM)
I know that I've seen auction bags that give a print out of the name & basic info (size, temperment) on fish bags - some of them also had pictures of what the fish should grow up to look like, which I thought was pretty cool. When it came time to bag up fish for the last auction though, I forgot to be a copycat & steal that idea until it was time to leave -- UGH!

Whoever it was I was GOING to copy though - I think it's a great idea & I hope I remember to try it next time!

DC

QUOTE (SubMariner @ Jan 29 2008, 12:49 AM)
QUOTE (cyradis4 @ Jan 28 2008, 04:48 PM)
Lol, I quite agree with the labels on the bag idea. I was thinking basically, someone could post a template, like:

Species: Labidochromis Caeruleus
Temperament: fairly peaceful Mbuna
Max size: 5 inches
Keeper pH: 8.0
Other info: (such as a pic of the adult)

It would make every thing easier.

Later!
Amanda.

I like it!

QUOTE (dogofwar @ Feb 12 2008, 09:21 AM)
I agree - with permission we should be able to use Chicago's profiles (maybe with a CCA background) or Cichlid-forum's.

Maybe instead of printing the stuff out, we could have the profiles projected on the wall (in a rotating slideshow) during the meeting intermissions and auction.

Matt

A reminder to all who want the CCA auction to get even better.
I hope everyone who is bringing fish to the auction plans to put identifying info on the bag.

Later,
Marge

marge618

CCA member
Hello All,

Anyone have styrofoam fish boxes.. the right size for suitcases? Bet there would be spirited bidding on that item!

Later,
Marge

cabinetmkr39

DavidG / CCA Member
Would there be a need or a want for me to bring Duck weed for auction ? I'm loaded with the gr8 stuff.
feeding it to some of my koi that are in my fish room. Let me know what you all think.

knuckles

Members
Amanda - I would love to take some Bolivian Rams off your hands! Please bring some for the auction.

... I'd definitely bid on duckweed and rocks, too!

:D

longstocking

Members
Marge,

You can also make your box out of styro. to fit water ever size of bag you are going with. Just get a sheet of it at home depo and cut it up to make a tight fitting box.

Rocks? I have some that are glass rocks ( in other words volcanic made ) that are red. Got them years ago and sanded down the eges so they aren't sharp. If anyone is interested let me know. They won't raise or lower your ph.