• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How many tanks are enough? How many are too many?

minifoot77

Members
She has seen the avatar and the hot tub is not running CALEB!!!! Good thing she doesnt get on this site, your her number 1 supporter.

Bill she doesnt know about your avatar yet:eek::D

your reading this all wrong man i hooked it up so you could put a tank in your BEDROOM and now your not coming through on your end :)

Spine

Members
Ahhh, the perfect thread for this story.

I won't name any names, but I had a fish friend once who kept nothing but Malawi cichlids. He had about 60 tanks in his basement, from 40 breeders on up to 150. He bred everything he had, and was trying desperately to convert me from kiilifish to Malawi cichlids. But all was not well in his household. Almost every time we spoke, at club meetings, at shows, even when just visiting, he would say that his wife didn't like that he spent so much time in the fishroom. He had 2 little girls (if I recall) and he kept syaing that his wife says he should spend more time with his kids. This went on for a couple years. Then one day, he came home from work, and his basement was empty. His wife had secretly arranged to sell everything he had, all fish, all tanks, all equipment, to some guys with the provision that it all had to be out in one day by the time he got home from work. And they did it.

Yes, they are now divorced. I have seen him once since then, maybe about 4-5 years later, at a North Jersey AS auction, but not since. He was supposedly trying to set up a tank for his kids, who he now only saw infrequently.

Take this story for what it's worth, but it's all true. I guess one advantage of being a killifish guy is that the tanks don't take up nearly as much space, so they are not noticed quite so much. But my small tanks have been going away slowly since I joined this forum/club and my average tank size is growing larger every day. Hmmmm.

Did I mention, I recently got an 80 gallon bowfront?

Joel

I guess my original post should have had a disclaimer: Do not attempt unless you're single!

After bringing home my latest 90 gallon 2 weeks ago I was presented with a contract to sign that stated I would only bring in tanks if i had tanks going out. It even went into detail regarding minimum gallon for gallon trade offs. I think at last count I only had 10 or 11 tanks. Here is my latest compromise, to get rid of 2 of the smallest tanks I have this fall and build a 340 gallon..... so far have not gotten a green light on this plan...

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Prior to my Gf moving in with me, I sat her down and told her how important this hobby was to me. I explained how the tanks are just the beginning of a collection that will expand once I move into a home with a basement. I told her that in order for our relationship to work, she needs to understand that this is a big part of who I am and if she can not accept all of me (regardless of her level of understanding why I need so many tanks), then we were not meant to be together. Since she moved in, I have added four tanks to the collection. So far so good. I think honesty up front and the fact that we do not yet have children are two bonuses in my favor.

Chicklid

Members
Prior to my Gf moving in with me, I sat her down and told her how important this hobby was to me. I explained how the tanks are just the beginning of a collection that will expand once I move into a home with a basement. I told her that in order for our relationship to work, she needs to understand that this is a big part of who I am and if she can not accept all of me (regardless of her level of understanding why I need so many tanks), then we were not meant to be together. Since she moved in, I have added four tanks to the collection. So far so good. I think honesty up front and the fact that we do not yet have children are two bonuses in my favor.

That's great. Hopefully everything works out even when you do have children. I'm pretty lucky myself that my boyfriend doesn't hate my hobby (he actually doesn't mind and even supports my addiction). Everyone else, on the other hand, thinks I'm crazy and I don't even think I have that many tanks (125g, 55g, 38g, 16g).

chris_todd

Members
LOL, y'all are hilarious! Actually, my wife has dual bachelor's degrees in biology and philosophy, so one of her favorite tanks is the all-malawi in the kitchen. But we did make a deal that (like Matt) all new tanks go into the half of the basement that has been designated "the fish room". It's 18' x 24' - the only question now is do I get two 18' long racks running down the middle of the room, or do I only get the one row of 18' worth of display tanks? That is yet to be decided, but my birthday gift was the 37g in the living room/dining room border that will be a display tank for a beautiful tangerine discus pair.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I chose less room and double the tanks. You will too. Trust me :)

Matt

LOL, y'all are hilarious! Actually, my wife has dual bachelor's degrees in biology and philosophy, so one of her favorite tanks is the all-malawi in the kitchen. But we did make a deal that (like Matt) all new tanks go into the half of the basement that has been designated "the fish room". It's 18' x 24' - the only question now is do I get two 18' long racks running down the middle of the room, or do I only get the one row of 18' worth of display tanks? That is yet to be decided, but my birthday gift was the 37g in the living room/dining room border that will be a display tank for a beautiful tangerine discus pair.

Ophelia77

Members
Honestly, after all the other obsessions of trucks, cars, X-mods, gas-powered remote control cars, video games, dart frogs, snakes, other reptiles, movies, MySpace, Combat Arms, real guns, air-soft guns, paintball guns, fishing poles, fishing trips (just try to get a 2-year old to sleep on a rock!), FISH ARE THE BEST ONE OF ALL!!!!
My advice to all the significant others is to get a little involved and enjoy spending time together doing something THEY enjoy. I've met many AWESOME people in this club that make putting up with the tanks very worth my while.

TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE COMPLAINING SIGNIFICANT OTHERS - bring them with to visit my apartment/ fish house and I guarantee they'll lay off you for a while:)

P.S. Chris, really, just turn the hot tub into a pond:) Then you can say you fixed it, plus you can get more fish!

Spine

Members
Having someone to let you know that you're getting out of control is not such a bad thing. I have no governor to control my fishroom,sometime comment from people("Yo,I can't get the door open there's too many tanks in the way")don't even sink in. Threats can be good for some of us,lol it lets us know when it's time to thin out the herd.:wub::wub::wub:

zenins

Members
I have a spouse imposed limit of 9 tanks.
They are all on the main floor, so the limit makes sense.
There are many species of fish I would like to keep, but I can't right now, because of the limited volume of water I have.
Maybe, in a few years I will have tank space freed up by selling some fish, then I will have room for those other species.
Problems for hobbyists and their spouses arise when the hobbyist sees a new fish and has to have it, right now ... if you don't have the tank space now, then another tank appears on the scene, this situation repeats itself several times and brings on grief.
Planning and patience allows for a more co-operative spouse and you get to see much more of the life cycle of your fish ;)

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
If you do water changes manually and you don't mind, you need more tanks, especially if you do them weekly like you should.:angry3:

George

longstocking

Members
If you do water changes manually and you don't mind, you need more tanks, especially if you do them weekly like you should.:angry3:

George

lol.. does manual = bucket or does manual = python...

If the second choice, I guess I need more tanks :eek:

The great part of my fish room is they are mostly 50's and up.... so while the water drains and fills up... I tinker (my favorite part of fish keeping)

Julie

Members
Such a fun thread. :D

250 tanks... too many!!

200... not enough :p

just get me more automation!!!

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Honestly, after all the other obsessions of trucks, cars, X-mods, gas-powered remote control cars, video games, dart frogs, snakes, other reptiles, movies, MySpace, Combat Arms, real guns, air-soft guns, paintball guns, fishing poles, fishing trips (just try to get a 2-year old to sleep on a rock!), FISH ARE THE BEST ONE OF ALL!!!!

LOL!
LOL!
LOL!
LOL!
LOL!

I can't believe I missed this post. You're nuts, Caleb! :p

On topic, last night I think I figured out how to add 6 15 gallon tanks to my fishroom without having to get rid of my cabinets or workbench. :happy0144: