• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How many tanks are enough? How many are too many?

chris_todd

Members
While trying to convince my wife why we just had to buy this 37g tank listed on GWAPA, she asked a question that floored me:

How many tanks are enough?

:confused0024: Uhhhh....

I honestly could not answer, because I simply don't know. How many cool fish are out there? I could easily imagine having a fish room the size of That Fish Place and still feel like I was limited or didn't have just one more tank for that one cool species I don't yet have.

The easier question to answer was "How many tanks are too many?" That's easy - when tank maintenance takes up so much of my time, it starts taking time away from my family, job, or other interests. I love keeping fish tanks, but not as much as I love my family.

Just curious how other similarly obsessed folks here would answer those two questions...

Spine

Members
There are never enough tanks and there is no such thing as too many! This comes with a couple exceptions,one being divorce papers and two finding personal items on the curb or door locks changed.:D:D:D:D

YSS

Members
Easy.

When you don't want anymore tanks. I am certainly not there, yet, but my wife certainly seems to think so. I only have 5 tanks and want at least one more.

longstocking

Members
There comes a point that it's just too much work IMO.... I have over 1,000 gallons. Sure I'd like more...and could fit more in my fishroom but it would be at the cost of me not enjoying my fishroom. ( I'm talking about having rows of tanks and being cramped )

So, in reality... as long as my fishroom is open, enjoyable and not interferring with me taking vacations etc.... it's not too much :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I think Sarah is right on this one Chris. I recently bought 2 new tanks before my trip to the ACA and I had hid them in the basement bathroom.

Well, while I was away she found them and gave me a call in the middle of the night. It was not a good night honey I love you call either, it was Al-Qaeda threatening to blow up my tanks and Assassinate me.

This terrorist was the love of my life swearing up and down not to bring home any fish. Well to make a long story short, I put on my Bill Clinton the Super Politician/Diplomat hat on and commenced with Peace talks. Nevertheless, the issue was resolved and I arrived safely at home with a hug and kiss from my beautiful wife.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I completely understand, but it's up to you to resolve the situation diplomatically. You need to prove your argument to her and validate why you need the tank. PERIOD.

Good Luck my Cichlidholic,

RM

chris_todd

Members
LOL Richard! The old saying about how it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permissions is utter bull-pucky in my experience, at least between spouses.

Actually, Amy was really on board with this tank, because it means our gorgeous pair of Tangerine Discus we got from Jen can be housed in their very own tank at the border of our living and dining rooms, where it can be viewed from the kitchen as well. So it will make a beautiful addition to the house, and let us move the Discus up from the basement.

It was just the rhetorical nature of her question that got me thinking. But I'm with ya, Sarah, if I can't enjoy the fishroom because it's too crowded or it's too much work, then that's too many tanks.

cmcpart0422

Members
I have to let my girlfriend get something in order for her to let me get more tanks (but often times that doesn't even work). I hid a 20l under my 75 and when she found it **** hit the fan in our apartment.

YSS

Members
Too funny. So, hiding a tank from your spouse is an option? I need to figure out where I am going to hide my new 120G. :D

iamzrad

Members
Too funny. So, hiding a tank from your spouse is an option? I need to figure out where I am going to hide my new 120G. :D

Flip the tank upside down, lay it on its top and put some magazines, coasters, etc, and call it a modern coffee table. They will never knowww. :blush::rolleyes:

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
It's all about when maintenance becomes overwhelming.

Tinkering/chilling in the fish room for 3 hours because you want to is one thing...

Water changes in the fish room for 3 hours because you have to is another.

I see automation in my near future. :cool:

You guys are funny. It's the opposite gender problem for female equestrians. We're always having to hide new (and expensive) tack from our SOs. I had a friend once who hide horses from her husband. She made sure the new horses weren't an odd color or would stand out in any way and she'd smuggle them into the herd when he was away. When he'd finally notice, months later, she'd be able to honestly say, "That horse? I've had him for ages."

mrkillie

Members
Ahhh, the perfect thread for this story.

I won't name any names, but I had a fish friend once who kept nothing but Malawi cichlids. He had about 60 tanks in his basement, from 40 breeders on up to 150. He bred everything he had, and was trying desperately to convert me from kiilifish to Malawi cichlids. But all was not well in his household. Almost every time we spoke, at club meetings, at shows, even when just visiting, he would say that his wife didn't like that he spent so much time in the fishroom. He had 2 little girls (if I recall) and he kept syaing that his wife says he should spend more time with his kids. This went on for a couple years. Then one day, he came home from work, and his basement was empty. His wife had secretly arranged to sell everything he had, all fish, all tanks, all equipment, to some guys with the provision that it all had to be out in one day by the time he got home from work. And they did it.

Yes, they are now divorced. I have seen him once since then, maybe about 4-5 years later, at a North Jersey AS auction, but not since. He was supposedly trying to set up a tank for his kids, who he now only saw infrequently.

Take this story for what it's worth, but it's all true. I guess one advantage of being a killifish guy is that the tanks don't take up nearly as much space, so they are not noticed quite so much. But my small tanks have been going away slowly since I joined this forum/club and my average tank size is growing larger every day. Hmmmm.

Did I mention, I recently got an 80 gallon bowfront?

Joel

bschuhart

Members
1. Buy your wife a new SUV.
2. Go to Petco (tank sale) and pick up 5 more tanks the next day in her new SUV because they wouldn't fit in my car.

TRUE STORY - 2 weeks ago.

longstocking

Members
lol.. I think it's just men and your toys :p:

Infact.. I have to stop my hubby from buying more tanks.

I do not want a cluttered fishroom lol But buying new fish... that is a whole different thing.... the fish I buy tend to be expensive... lol... so, the conversation about a new group of Petrochromis can become interesting :lol:

dogofwar

CCA Members
The deal I made is that our basement storage room is my fishroom and that it will house all of the tanks. It's nearly full of tanks...

In a perfect world I'd have more room but I can't complain.

I try to do maintenance at night after the twins are down and my wife and duaghter are watching something that doesn't interest me (eg dancing with the stars). Having all of the tanks in one place and set up for ease of cleaning means I can knock out a water change in about 2 hours on about 50 tanks...glass cleaning not included..

fischfan13

Banned
Let me see...

Me:
I'm going to put the 72 bowfront in the Living Room.

Wife:
Ok.

Me:
I'm going to put a 55g in the Dining Room.

Wife:
Ok

Me:
I'm setting up about 20 tanks in the garage.

Wife:
Ok

BTW, I went grocery shopping, made dinner and cleaned around the house today too.:D