• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HOT Reviews!

YSS

Members
It's been a while since I've been there, but I always loved going there and had positive experiences. I used to work in Columbia and drive there during lunch often. I left my credit card there once and got it back a week later. :) I will go ahead and write a review.

longstocking

Members
It's just google. Have a google account? gmail? etc?

If you dont' have one.. it's a good idea to have one ;) Not just to fill out reviews :)

Greg31

Members
Definitely my favorite local store. Although not perfect I 100% do not want them to go anywhere.

I have only experienced rough customer service when very busy but that is obvious. Was in there last night. My only complaint...bichirs are sooo overpriced!!

Malawimania

Members
In the name of starting an honest discussion, I read all of the reviews. All the bad, and a number of the good reviews seemed centered around customer service. What are y'alls honest opinions on their customer service?

I honestly can say that in some ways I agree with some of the complaints... ad hominem (sp?) attacks excluded of course. Mostly in the fish wrangler department, I often find that I am utterly ignored without even a "hello, can I help you", and it does sometimes take an act of congress to get netting help... even on slow days. I have only once been able to engage someone in the back in a conversation lasting more than 10 seconds, and that was almost immediately after the earthquake hit and everyone had a story to tell.

I dont know if the owners\employees frequent this forum or not, but if they do, I would say *please* focus on training your employees on better customer service. I feel like this is the one big wart on an otherwise awesome store. The only other thing I would say could be improved is providing more info on the fish being sold.. but thats pretty minor. If you are buying fish blind, sometimes you get what you deserve.

Honestly, I visit HoT every chance I get, most of the time just to browse and drool, so I love the store and this is only meant as constructive, and a way to stimulate some discussion on a topic that was obviously on a lot of peoples minds as the other reviews are written.

Thoughts?

I have yet to get out to HOT, but looks like I will have to there soon. I saw in an earlier post they have 10 large show haps. It be nice to add one to my 220 hap peacock tank.

As far as HOT customer service goes i can't comment, however working in parkville with exotic aquatics as the LFS, nothing can get much worse then store manager Steve's customer service. The guy works just about every day and is just plain old nasty to people! I would advise anyone entering into Exotic Aquatics to stay away from the old dude with a pony tail(No Bueno), he's been extremly rude to me and I can't tell you how much money i've spent there(why do I continue to go there?lol). I'm defintely not knocking exotic aquatics they have an awsome selection of african cichlids. I just would suggest if anyone checks out exotic aquatics not to talk to steve. Mark and Phil the owners are great, and everyone else there is nice and helpful, crazy how one guy can really hurt a businesses image. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about exotic. Sorry for the rant but needed to vent. O, and guys don't send your wives or girlfriends to exotic, cause if they end up getting Steve they may leave in tears. Yea hes that bad. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences in exotics?

fischfan13

Banned
I have yet to get out to HOT, but looks like I will have to there soon. I saw in an earlier post they have 10 large show haps. It be nice to add one to my 220 hap peacock tank.

As far as HOT customer service goes i can't comment, however working in parkville with exotic aquatics as the LFS, nothing can get much worse then store manager Steve's customer service. The guy works just about every day and is just plain old nasty to people! I would advise anyone entering into Exotic Aquatics to stay away from the old dude with a pony tail(No Bueno), he's been extremly rude to me and I can't tell you how much money i've spent there(why do I continue to go there?lol). I'm defintely not knocking exotic aquatics they have an awsome selection of african cichlids. I just would suggest if anyone checks out exotic aquatics not to talk to steve. Mark and Phil the owners are great, and everyone else there is nice and helpful, crazy how one guy can really hurt a businesses image. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way about exotic. Sorry for the rant but needed to vent. O, and guys don't send your wives or girlfriends to exotic, cause if they end up getting Steve they may leave in tears. Yea hes that bad. Anyone have any positive or negative experiences in exotics?

This Forum is for House of Tropicals, who is a Sponsor of CCA, and should be kept at that.

Last edited:

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I am heading up to HOT today and plan to be there around noon. I expect my experience to be as pleasant as it always has been.

Malawimania

Members
This Forum is for House of Tropicals, who is a Sponsor of CCA, and should be kept at that.

Noooo problem didn't mean to step on toes just wanted to add to the discussion relating to customer service at LFS in MD. Can't wait to get out to HOT this week! Looking forward to a new customer service experience, and a look at some different inventory. :D

Greg31

Members
I know I am not a paying member yet, but plan to ASAP. Taking awhile due to the newborn, new house and wife. BUUUUT... if anyone happens to go to HOT and drives anywhere near upper marlboro/bowie I will pay extra and gas for some flagtails I think they have up there.

turfboss

Members
In my limited experience over the past month or two H.O.T is head and shoulders above the other stores in the area - such as PetSmart and Walmart - the selection of fishes and the pricing is far greater at HOT than either of the two mentioned - but if you are looking for dry goods you may find a larger selection at PetSmart but you won't find anyone who can answer any detailed questions about differences or give you suggestions based on what you might be tring to accomplish - certainly there are some at HOT who are not near as knowledgeable as you might like - but I have found that they will point you to someone who dioes know the answers while at the other stores there is no one that knows the answer.