• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

HOT Reviews!

longstocking

Members
I was just in the store today talking with one of the owners. They asked CCA for their help :D.

I said we would be more than willing to help in any way possible.

If you have been into the store and want their doors to stay open, by filling out a positive review on google they would GREATLY appreciate it.

As we all know the internet can be a great way of advertising....

The form is quick and easy to fill out... and we wouldn't want another local LFS ( and IMO the best in Maryland ) to go under... take 2 min out of your life to help a store that supports CCA!!!

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?h...15223912755716391558&sqi=2&action=openratings

BevN

Members
I added mine. We were just there this past weekend with PVAS. I would hate to see them go the way of many other LFS that this economy have done in.

JasonC

Members
In the name of starting an honest discussion, I read all of the reviews. All the bad, and a number of the good reviews seemed centered around customer service. What are y'alls honest opinions on their customer service?

I honestly can say that in some ways I agree with some of the complaints... ad hominem (sp?) attacks excluded of course. Mostly in the fish wrangler department, I often find that I am utterly ignored without even a "hello, can I help you", and it does sometimes take an act of congress to get netting help... even on slow days. I have only once been able to engage someone in the back in a conversation lasting more than 10 seconds, and that was almost immediately after the earthquake hit and everyone had a story to tell.

I dont know if the owners\employees frequent this forum or not, but if they do, I would say *please* focus on training your employees on better customer service. I feel like this is the one big wart on an otherwise awesome store. The only other thing I would say could be improved is providing more info on the fish being sold.. but thats pretty minor. If you are buying fish blind, sometimes you get what you deserve.

Honestly, I visit HoT every chance I get, most of the time just to browse and drool, so I love the store and this is only meant as constructive, and a way to stimulate some discussion on a topic that was obviously on a lot of peoples minds as the other reviews are written.

Thoughts?

rsretep

Members
Did my good deed even though my name did not show up above my post...One of the best stores around

jonclark96

Past CCA President
In the name of starting an honest discussion, I read all of the reviews. All the bad, and a number of the good reviews seemed centered around customer service. What are y'alls honest opinions on their customer service?

I honestly can say that in some ways I agree with some of the complaints... ad hominem (sp?) attacks excluded of course. Mostly in the fish wrangler department, I often find that I am utterly ignored without even a "hello, can I help you", and it does sometimes take an act of congress to get netting help... even on slow days. I have only once been able to engage someone in the back in a conversation lasting more than 10 seconds, and that was almost immediately after the earthquake hit and everyone had a story to tell.

I dont know if the owners\employees frequent this forum or not, but if they do, I would say *please* focus on training your employees on better customer service. I feel like this is the one big wart on an otherwise awesome store. The only other thing I would say could be improved is providing more info on the fish being sold.. but thats pretty minor. If you are buying fish blind, sometimes you get what you deserve.

Honestly, I visit HoT every chance I get, most of the time just to browse and drool, so I love the store and this is only meant as constructive, and a way to stimulate some discussion on a topic that was obviously on a lot of peoples minds as the other reviews are written.

Thoughts?

I have had mixed experiences with the staff. Some are pretty nice and engaging, but some are just your typical high school kid who aren't enthusiastic hobbyists. I would say their staff is pretty typical for pet stores. I did have a good time with one of their newer guys who has having a hard time catching the one fish I wanted out of a tank. I asked if he would mind if I just netted it out myself and he was totally cool with it. It sparked up a conversation about what I kept and the number of tanks that I have.

mscichlid

Founder
Hey Jason, I have the complete opposite experience with their customer service. They ask me so much if they can help, it gets on my nerves. The girl at the register with the rings and tats is very nice and very helpful.

Also, I go pretty early in the day and that may have something to do with it.

JasonC

Members
Hey Jason, I have the complete opposite experience with their customer service. They ask me so much if they can help, it gets on my nerves. The girl at the register with the rings and tats is very nice and very helpful.

Also, I go pretty early in the day and that may have something to do with it.

Ah, the bliss of dealing with folks before the day has completely jaded them ;P I can usually cut a bit of slack for that, but esp. in my business, customer service is everything and you *have* to be able to "turn it on" at a moments notice so the customer has a good experience. Maybe not as nessisary in retail, and maybe I am over sensitive.

I'll agree w/ the cashiers/frontlines folks though.. they are always really nice.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
My sentiments

If you don't have anything nice to say then come sit next to me.

Glad it's such a salutary and positively uplifting experience for some. Perhaps in my next incarnation or after a lobotomy in this one.

Ho, Ho, Ho.

BevN

Members
I would never pad a review. If I didn't have anything nice to say I would have not said anything at all.

We were asked more than once if we needed help and when we were finally ready the young guy that helped us was really nice and seemed quite happy to be doing his job. The place was busy but all the staff was in a very up mood and were hustling to catch fish for the 40 or so people in the place.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I would never pad a review.

Perish forbid. Never suggested anything of the kind.

If I didn't have anything nice to say I would have not said anything at all.

Serious failing of modern "civilized" society if I'm any judge, but that's addressing a slightly more general context and merely my opinion.

Best to you and Dale in this season of snow.

BevN

Members
Holy smokes Sam...didn't realize that was you. How the heck have you been?

You are right about the not saying anything at all. We have become a mushy society clogged by political correctness and worrying that someone may be offended. I think people need to be offended. :)

Hope Washington is treating you well.

longstocking

Members
Ok a little insight. The owners and people that work there are great people. The owners just looked at the reviews on google and realized what was going on. They have talked to their staff about the problems.... so hopefully things will be better for those of you that haven't had the best service.

I don't get that treatment that some have described but I have also been going there for many years and I am friends with a lot of them.

So, give them another chance... they are working on it :) Just yesterday I noticed EVERYONE was asking if any of the customers needed help.

JasonC

Members
Thats really awesome to hear! Was probably going there again on Monday since my QT tank is empty. ;P

dogofwar

CCA Members
I've had really good experiences with HOT...and they give card-carrying CCA members a 10% discount.

I knew that I was in Bmore (or at least Glen Burnie) when the lady at the register called me "Hun" :)

Matt