• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Automatic Water Changes

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey Joe - Things have been pretty hectic lately and I never got off my butt. Still need to run a water supply to the room.

Is your discus tank in a fish room or in another area of the house? Do you have a drain in reasonable proximity to the tank?

zcfish

Members
Tony,

The discus tank is in the fish room, in the basement. There is hot/cold water supply and also a sump drain which I use for water changes. So I am all set for any type of systems.

The drip type systems will be the simplest to do. The discus tank uses a sump so is my 325g tank. I will need to drill holes in the sump to drain the water. I am a little concerned that since the sumps sit on the floor the gravity may not be enough to drain the water properly at all times. Also I want to use the waste water from the discus tank for the 325g tank. The waste water from the discus tank will be very clean with < 5 ppm of nitrate, so it will be too good to waste. I am thinking about having both a gravity drain and a pump (controlled by float switch) in the sump of the discus tank. The gravity drain will act as a backup. The float switch controlled pump will pump water into the sump of the 325g tank. The sump of the 325g tank (which is a 75g tank) will have it's own gravity drain.

I have been reading a little bit about chloramine filtering and to the best of my understand it cannot be easily removed by carbon filtering. I still need to do more reading but this could be a potential showstopper, I will have to go to the much more expensive and less reliable dosing of prime!

verbal

CCA Members
My understanding is you can run water through a normal carbon stage and then a carbon block to remove chloramine.

I think it boils down to the amount of contact time with the carbon whether chloramine is removed or not.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app