• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Automatic Water Changes

ezrk

Members
The theoretical formula for x(effective water change) in terms of y(the water added in a drip system) is:

x = (y/(1-y))

In your example

x = .25/(1-.25) = .25/.75 = .333333

So it would take 33.3 gallons to "change 25".

Set your timers to change 10% a day and you have very little loss due to this factor.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I am seriously considering building a automatic drip water change system for my 265G tank. I could continue to use this thread or start a new one. Not sure if I want to include an RO system in it or not. If I used an RO system, do I need to worry about removing bad stuff (i.e. chloromine) from the water?

Tony, did you end up building one?

Not yet, Yun.... Have everything in the works though. Had to devise a method of getting water out of the room as there is no drain in there. So instead of cutting concrete, I bought a 40 gallon Rubbermaid and tossed it in the corner of the room. Using a monster sump pump to pump water up to the ceiling via 1.5" PVC, around the ceiling of the dog/laundry room and then down into the shop sink. You've been to my place before, so hopefully you can picture it. I post up some shots or a video this weekend.

I have some 1.5" PVC rain gutters running to the sump, right at the entrance to the room.

Most of my tanks are already drilled, so I plan on just hooking them right to the gutters when I pull the trigger. For now, draining tanks is a snap via regular short siphon hoses.

So still need to hook up the supply line. Hmmm... maybe I'll start on that this weekend...

Thanks for bringing this thread back up, Yun.

Tony

When I get everything set up, I don't plan on running timers until I mess around with it for a while and get a good level of comfort with it. I think that running carbon is a no-brainer, especially with the nice fish you have in that tank, Yun.

What's an extra $75 for the filter when you're messing with dinner-plate-sized discus, right?

YSS

Members
When I get everything set up, I don't plan on running timers until I mess around with it for a while and get a good level of comfort with it. I think that running carbon is a no-brainer, especially with the nice fish you have in that tank, Yun.

What's an extra $75 for the filter when you're messing with dinner-plate-sized discus, right?

Very true, Tony. I will most likely go with an RO unit for my system. Good luck getting everything up and going. :)

zcfish

Members
Any idea the cost of using carbon to remove Chlorine/Chlorinamine? Say how much would it cost to treat 1000 gallon of water? It obviously depend on how much Chlorine/Chlorinamine is in the water but just want to get a rough idea.

YSS

Members
Any idea the cost of using carbon to remove Chlorine/Chlorinamine? Say how much would it cost to treat 1000 gallon of water? It obviously depend on how much Chlorine/Chlorinamine is in the water but just want to get a rough idea.

Based on my research, the housing for a simple carbon filter is anywhere from $15 ~ $20 and the carbon fiter cartridges are about the same. This one filter cartridge I looked at was good for 50,000G. So, in othe words, very cheap. Check these links out:

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-1...-housings.aspx

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-3...ic-filter.aspx

Scorp1us

Members
I posted this in another thread, but I will post it here since it is more relevant here:
I work for a "plumbing" company. But we're not toilet fixers. We make thermostatic temperature valves. Unfortunately we have a product that is just out of range at 86 degrees. However I we have internal brainstorms for new lines of business. We could conceivably make a push-button automatic water changer. But I don't know what is out there in the rest of aquaria. What do the big boys use? (pet stores and large tanks - like at Rain Forest Cafe and the Aquarium)

The I have until September to put a proposal together, including a business plan.
We can probably get specialized parts made, if need be.

But imagine a system that can automatically do 50% or 30% water changes, Drain and fill... and do it completely automated or at the push of a button? You'd only need to give it hot, cold, drain and power and it'd do its thing.

EDIT: One question is how much are you willing to pay? The mixing valve alone on these systems is $50-100 alone.

Last edited:

Scorp1us

Members
After reading around, what about a algae collector instead of water changes? It seems as if we grow algae outside the tank in a reservoir, and remove the algae we don't need to dispose of many gallons of water.

150EH

Members
Most of the fish stores I've seen use display tanks with the back glass drilled, the bulkhead is set to drain off 1/3 of the water when the valve is opened, for the refill they just use a pvc rail to rapid fill each tank with RO water from a holding tank.

I use a heated holding tank with a RO/DI unit, I have to add gH booster and turn a couple of valves to drain the waste water into my front yard flower bed, turn a couple of valve and refill the tank from the holding tank via a pump.

I just don't trust a fully automatic system, but after that video I could become a believer.

6996811986_e1883bebae_z.jpg

Last edited:
U dont want to drink from the barrel for sure. It has all sorts of bacteria growing in there. It will most likely cause diarrhea if you dont boil it first.

Scorp1us

Members
Most of the fish stores I've seen use display tanks with the back glass drilled, the bulkhead is set to drain off 1/3 of the water when the valve is opened, for the refill they just use a pvc rail to rapid fill each tank with RO water from a holding tank.

RO Water?

Is there a way to do this without dumping hundreds of gallons of water? I looks like some people have a chamber that grows algae which they then clean perodically to get the nitrates out.

While my company could make either product, they'd be more intereted in the one that uses the least about of water.

Tony

RO Water?

Is there a way to do this without dumping hundreds of gallons of water? I looks like some people have a chamber that grows algae which they then clean perodically to get the nitrates out.

While my company could make either product, they'd be more intereted in the one that uses the least about of water.

Algae turf scrubbers (ATF) are a pretty cool concept. They're mostly used in reef applications, but I was thinking of setting one up last year on my 180 Malawi setup (big poopers in there). Because they are exposed to air, they are more efficient than conventional refugiums.

It would also be really nice on a fish room on a combined system. They take a bit of maintenance (scraping off the plastic mat periodically) and a bit of tweaking to get them working properly, but have read glowing reviews on them.

Of course... like a lot of other methods that are utilized in reefing, water changes on freshwater tanks are a lot easier than marine setups, so it may not be worth the trouble.

An easy alternative is simply hanging pothos in the tank and letting it grow out of the top. It won't completely eat all the nitrates, but would surely help.

Scorp1us

Members
My company fancies itself as a "green" company. Eliminating "water waste" or "usage" would really float their boat.

I'd taken to designing an automatic water changer. I ordered parts today. Some, from China, so it'll be a few months. LOL

ezrk

Members
Algae turf scrubbers (ATF) are a pretty cool concept. They're mostly used in reef applications, but I was thinking of setting one up last year on my 180 Malawi setup (big poopers in there). Because they are exposed to air, they are more efficient than conventional refugiums.

I have been investigating, there are some newer designs that are completely submerged using air pumps that are much simpler mechanically and supposedly just as effective.

The only reason I haven't more seriously looked into it is that I can't figure out a way to make them quiet enough for my applications.

dogofwar

CCA Members
An alternative is to use Pothos (spider plant) with the roots submerged in the water. I've got some in several of my tanks.

Matt

I have been investigating, there are some newer designs that are completely submerged using air pumps that are much simpler mechanically and supposedly just as effective.

The only reason I haven't more seriously looked into it is that I can't figure out a way to make them quiet enough for my applications.

ezrk

Members
An alternative is to use Pothos (spider plant) with the roots submerged in the water. I've got some in several of my tanks.

Matt

yeah, I have been considering that as well, just haven't had time to set it up. We have Wysteria growing pretty well in one of our sumps, was going to add Pothos as well. How do you have it set-up? I was thining of using a shower/sink caddy, maybe putting in a small amount of growth medium and just hanging it on the side of the sump. Since the sump is covered was going to lay down some egg crate to keep the Pothos suspended out of hte water.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have it sticking out of the side of the tank on some tanks...and sitting in a suction cup ring (for a heater) in others.

I've seen people just stick it into egg crate used as a partial tank cover. It doesn't need much light.

Sumps seem to have too much circulation for it to thrive (at least in my experience).

Matt

yeah, I have been considering that as well, just haven't had time to set it up. We have Wysteria growing pretty well in one of our sumps, was going to add Pothos as well. How do you have it set-up? I was thining of using a shower/sink caddy, maybe putting in a small amount of growth medium and just hanging it on the side of the sump. Since the sump is covered was going to lay down some egg crate to keep the Pothos suspended out of hte water.

zcfish

Members
Just wonder if anyone has implemented a water change system and can give an update. I am especially interested in the chloramine removal using carbon filters as described here. I am tired of changing water for my discus tank now. Having the itch to setup an automated system again :)