• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

AquaMania 2014 - Would you go? Volunteer?

AquaMania 2014 - Would You Go? Volunteer?

• Planning to register...and volunteer to help!

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Planning to Register for the Speakers...but leave the volunteering to others

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Planning to attend the Marketplace Only...but can volunteer to help!

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Planning to attend to the Marketplace Only...and leave the volunteering to others

• Not planning to attend

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff721

Members
I would say yes to volunteer and attend, but I have no idea where my own life will be in 9 months - a year. I know the pain of doing a conference, the company that I work for holds a conf. every year with 18, 000+ attendees. But we don`t decide whether to have the conference every year based on what type of support we`ll get, we decide to have the conference and get the support on the way. You just can`t expect adults to commit this early. Sorry to be a stick in the mud about it.

On an optimistic/positive note - If you believe in the cause, do it. You`ll get the help you need.

JasonC

Members
But we don`t decide whether to have the conference every year based on what type of support we`ll get, we decide to have the conference and get the support on the way.

But to be fair, though, conferences of that magnitude usually are planned by a professional event planning team. The volunteers are usually for the grunt work. Think what Matt and Tony are asking for is of a little higher order than having someone stand around with a hotel map giving directions to a breakout room.

CichlidOWNR

Members
I would like to see another Aquamania. I learned alot and had fun at this years event. I will volunteer but would prefer the physical workload (I am a customer care representative and honestly have enough talking and answering questions during the week). I am sure my wife would be up to working on any additional graphic designs or tweeking the one's she did for this year's Aquamania. She had fun and likes all of the colors that the fish have when doing this years graphics.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I would like to see another Aquamania. I learned alot and had fun at this years event. I will volunteer but would prefer the physical workload (I am a customer care representative and honestly have enough talking and answering questions during the week). I am sure my wife would be up to working on any additional graphic designs or tweeking the one's she did for this year's Aquamania. She had fun and likes all of the colors that the fish have when doing this years graphics.

She really did a great job. :)

Thanks again!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Unfortunately we (meaning CCA's Board) needs to sign a contract to reserve the space...and the contract has penalties for cancellation.... as well as incentives for participation (i.e. room nights).

I guarantee that your business dedicates and budgets resources (money, people, time) before they've signed the contracts for meeting space, AV, food and all of the myriad things that go into running an 18,000 person convention... and before they announce that they're hosting it.

CCA is not a business. We're all volunteers. And hosting an annual event like AquaMania is 100% optional. The point of doing something like this is three-fold:

1) To make our members happy so that they'll remain members of the club
2) To attract new members and support the growth and health of the aquarium hobby in our area
3) To gain resources (money, donations, experience) to support 1) and 2)

It's really, really hard for the CCA Board to know what our (current and prospective) membership wants...and would be willing to SUPPORT... if you don't tell us.

So please let us know!

Matt

I would say yes to volunteer and attend, but I have no idea where my own life will be in 9 months - a year. I know the pain of doing a conference, the company that I work for holds a conf. every year with 18, 000+ attendees. But we don`t decide whether to have the conference every year based on what type of support we`ll get, we decide to have the conference and get the support on the way. You just can`t expect adults to commit this early. Sorry to be a stick in the mud about it.

On an optimistic/positive note - If you believe in the cause, do it. You`ll get the help you need.

Greengirl

Members
You know I am in. I am prepared to take charge of any tasks needed to help take the work load off the main guys.

Jeff721

Members
I guarantee that your business dedicates and budgets resources (money, people, time) before they've signed the contracts for meeting space, AV, food and all of the myriad things that go into running an 18,000 person convention... and before they announce that they're hosting it.

I totally get and agree with most of this. We do have a budget for the event, as a matter of fact, our conference provides almost half of our operating cost for the year.

But we have contracts 10 years out for meeting spaces and our budget and resources are not planned that far in advance.

It is important to note that I work for a membership based organization that started out small. Though over half of attendees aren't members.

The only real point I was trying to make is, "if you build it, they will come".

golsama

Corresponding Secretary
Of course I am willing to volunteer to help make this a success. I'd be more than happy to run the kids stuff again next year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
You might have to fight Lucas and Zach (or corral them) to run the kids stuff :)

Thanks for all of your help this year, Sam!

Matt

Of course I am willing to volunteer to help make this a success. I'd be more than happy to run the kids stuff again next year.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
Bump if you haven't voted.

Your input is important. And lack of input speaks loudly as well.

Thanks,
Matt

Andrew

Members
The way this poll is worded is very difficult to vote honestly. Attendance and participation are as important as volunteering to work the event... No point in having an event if no one shows up.

For my part, I suspect my role will be very similar to this year's event. I'll be there. Sell stuff at the marketplace. Spend a night in the hotel. Maybe catch a speaker or two. And, of course, always ready to to offer a helping hand when not chasing kids down the hallway.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd put that into the "Planning to register...and volunteer to help!" category :)

...and, of course, your anonymous 9-months-out, online poll responses aren't legally binding.

Your Board is just trying to determine if their is sufficient interest among our members to support hosting another AquaMania (both attending and helping pull it off)... before we sign a (legally binding) contract.

Matt

The way this poll is worded is very difficult to vote honestly. Attendance and participation are as important as volunteering to work the event... No point in having an event if no one shows up.

For my part, I suspect my role will be very similar to this year's event. I'll be there. Sell stuff at the marketplace. Spend a night in the hotel. Maybe catch a speaker or two. And, of course, always ready to to offer a helping hand when not chasing kids down the hallway.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Far too cool not to reprise

Your Board is just trying to determine if their is sufficient interest among our members to support hosting another AquaMania (both attending and helping pull it off)... before we sign a (legally binding) contract.

Matt

Given the resounding success of AM1 and the seeming universal enthusiasm expressed during and thereafter, I imagined that a second was a foregone conclusion. As such, might be simpler to ask the converse, i.e., is there anyone who doesn't want to participate or have CCA do it again?

Really. Over 250 participants, everyone I spoke with or that posted indicated that CCA just killed it in terms of fulfilling/exceeding expectations, including the vendors, why wouldn't we do this again?

I only offer this because it's a bit early to expect commitments from
folk re: something that's basically a year away, and because if we're going to start talking about this so far in advance it seems that rather than talking about "work" per se we should be waxing lyrical about aspirational ways to improve/enhance/build upon the first go-around. I have complete faith that everyone wants to do this again and that CCA's members will more than step up to again make it a success when the time comes.

For my part, besides growing the swap meet, I really liked the silent rare fish auction and particularly the edgy bidding that ensued over contested fish. For my money, the modest amount of ardent bidding that took place was the most stimulating and satisfying (even though I didn't win any of those auctions) aspect of the entire event, not to take anything away from the really excellent presentations made by our speakers.

Apologies for diverting the thread, just be much happier if we could get past the soul-searching and pedestrian "Are we doing it again?" question that shouldn't be so hard to answer so that if we're going to start revving on this already that it feels creative rather than mildly oppressive/annoying. And yes, I'm aware that I resemble the last part of that remark but feel free to volley away. And yes I have now voted although none of the options allowed me to adequately express by own enthusiasm and commitment to making the next AquaMania an even greater success than the first.:D

Last edited:

dogofwar

CCA Members
I had expected a similar outpouring of enthusiasm for holding a second AquaMania... that it would be a mere formality before universally voting to move full speed ahead with committing funds and beginning the planning for the next one.

It isn't suprising that there is strong and vocal enthusiasm from the core of folks who stepped up to make the 1st AquaMania a success (who are, by and large, the same folks who volunteered at AM 2013, serve on our Board and committees, volunteer to bring food every month, help set-up and clean-up meetings, run bags and help during auctions, etc, etc.).

Honestly, it gives me pause at the apparent lack of enthusiasm beyond this group.

Before embarking on a large financial commitment for the club and a huge time commitment for a few individuals (me included), it would be awesome to see that support for holding another AquaMania extends to a good number of the other 175 or so folks in the club beyond the core.

If it takes begging, we're doing something wrong.

What do you want?

Please folks - speak up!

Matt

Given the resounding success of AM1 and the seeming universal enthusiasm expressed during and thereafter, I imagined that a second was a foregone conclusion. As such, might be simpler to ask the converse, i.e., is there anyone who doesn't want to participate or have CCA do it again?

Really. Over 250 participants, everyone I spoke with or that posted indicated that CCA just killed it in terms of fulfilling/exceeding expectations, including the vendors, why wouldn't we do this again?

I only offer this because it's a bit early to expect commitments from
folk re: something that's basically a year away, and because if we're going to start talking about this so far in advance it seems that rather than talking about "work" per se we should be waxing lyrical about aspirational ways to improve/enhance/build upon the first go-around. I have complete faith that everyone wants to do this again and that CCA's members will more than step up to again make it a success when the time comes.

For my part, besides growing the swap meet, I really liked the silent rare fish auction and particularly the edgy bidding that ensued over contested fish. For my money, the modest amount of ardent bidding that took place was the most stimulating and satisfying (even though I didn't win any of those auctions) aspect of the entire event, not to take anything away from the really excellent presentations made by our speakers.

Apologies for diverting the thread, just be much happier if we could get past the soul-searching and pedestrian "Are we doing it again?" question that shouldn't be so hard to answer so that if we're going to start revving on this already that it feels creative rather than mildly oppressive/annoying. And yes, I'm aware that I resemble the last part of that remark but feel free to volley away. And yes I have now voted although none of the options allowed me to adequately express by own enthusiasm and commitment to making the next AquaMania an even greater success than the first.:D

mchambers

Former CCA member
From my perspective, I can't answer the poll, because there isn't a "Don't Know" option. I don't know what my family and work schedule will be 10 months out, so can't really commit. If I don't have other commitments, I'm happy to volunteer, like I did this year.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Of course - none of us know exactly what the future will bring, but you'll put it on your calendar...and attend if you can.

I'd put that into the "Planning to register...and volunteer to help!" category :)

Matt

From my perspective, I can't answer the poll, because there isn't a "Don't Know" option. I don't know what my family and work schedule will be 10 months out, so can't really commit. If I don't have other commitments, I'm happy to volunteer, like I did this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.