• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Wet Spot Group Buy Details

How awful is Becca at running group buys?

• Not awful at all, I wish she'd volunteer to run them all.

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Not the worst, but I've seen better.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely horrible. She's so awful that I'm going to volunteer to run next year's group buy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Becca

Members
I have some bad news and... Yeah, I don't have any good news, I just have bad news and conciliatory news.

The bad news - UPS lost the fish.

The details:

I got an email from UPS saying there was a mechanical failure on the flight the fish were shipping on and they will not be delivered until the next business day. The last check-in seems to indicate they are in Boise, Idaho.
I called UPS to find out more. According to management there, they aren't going anywhere because there are no flights leaving Kentucky today because of mechanical failure. I pointed out that the fish are in Boise. No, they insist they could not possibly be in Boise because that cargo route goes directly from Portland to Kentucky. So, they must be in either Portland or Kentucky, they don't know how they could've possibly been checked in at Boise. Unless... unless the mechanical failure happened en-route and the plane was forced to land in Boise, but they don't know. They don't know where the plane or the package is, but hey, it was marked for special care. They'll call me back by noon and let me know if it's been checked in somewhere that isn't Boise. If it made it to Kentucky and is checked in on time, there's a slim chance they'll upgrade it to Saturday delivery.

The other bad news is that I have to work Monday and can't really stay home waiting for a shipment that may or may not come and will probably arrive dead.

The conciliatory news:

The package was insured, so if the fish don't ever arrive, or arrive dead, I can refund everyone's money once I deal with the insurance.

Murphy's Law, folks... If it can go wrong, it will.

In other news, this is kind of the story of my life so I will not be doing other group buys because I think this is some sort of curse that I really don't need to keep exposing the rest of you to.

dogofwar

CCA Members
We'll play it by ear.

Thanks Becca Becca !

Matt

Becca

Members
Per TWS, the shipping has been upgraded to Saturday delivery and should arrive sometime tomorrow.

That said, they do not expect many of the fish will have made it because the heat packs will not last that long.

Tentatively, my plan is to unbox them here when they arrive so that I can properly document DOA's in an orderly fashion, since I now expect there will be multiple.

If you will not be able to get these fish STRAIGHT into a tank and you want me to put them in holding for you, please let me know, but also know that I will not be held liable for any losses. I will spend today working to clear some extra tank space so that I have it if it's needed.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
BECCA, do what you think best for the ones I ordered. I will get them ASAP and will bring some water to put them in as soon as I get them.

Becca

Members
BECCA, do what you think best for the ones I ordered. I will get them ASAP and will bring some water to put them in as soon as I get them.

Frank, I'm not sure, since I don't know much about that particular fish. If you think they need soft water, I can prep a rain water tank for them. If they need it warm, let me know. I'm only 20 minutes from the venue, so my plan is to drive them straight over as soon as they're unboxed and I've documented DOAs.

WetSpot will reship DOAs once we get everything sorted out, provided they have them in stock.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
No, they can take whatever water you have as long as it is not really hard, moderate is probably fine, lower is better, maybe. Just get them out of cloudy or bad water and into clean water that has more oxygen. If the water they are in look clear and they seem fine, just bring them on to the hotel.

When fish are in bad water in bad shape but still alive, you can save them by dumping them into fresh clean water at the right temperature. Going through a acclimation procedure IMHO is not to be done in this circumstance.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm sure Becca will update when she knows more on timing, or at least when she's out on parole.

Hang in there, Becca Becca

ok thanks Becca Becca for organizing this group buy (the good parts)!

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
THE ONES I GOT ARE ALL IN GREAT SHAPE. THANKS for all the effort BECCA, Great job and with all that experience, you are ready for the next time.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Yes - mine arrived in great shape as well. Thanks Becca Becca !