• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's your favorite public aquarium?

marge618

CCA member
One of the best public aquariums is right here in Baltimore. I am an avid NAIB visitor and member. Even volunteered there for about 3 years. The exhibits are well constucted and natural looking. I especially like the stingrays and sharks. Oh yeah.. the octopus too! The Maryland Mountains to the Sea exhibits, while small, give one a good intro to MD waters. When they have special exhibitions like jellyfish or seahorses I have to go numerous times to get my 'fish fix'.

Great friendly crowd. Part of the fun is meeting people from all over the US and around the world. (Met visitors from Sweden, Germany and France last time I was there.) The NAIB staff is very knowledgeable and friendly. Fun people to know and work with. They make visitors feel welcome.

If you don't want to give up 6 Saturdays and then one evening a week to volunteer at the NAIB.. why not become a member? With membership you get entrance anytime you want, bypass the crowds and lines, and have more time to plan.

Oh yeah, you're right in the heart of Baltimore Harbor; then too Little Italy, Fells Point and Canton are just a stones throw away: Food, beer, wine, music... did I say WINE? It always seems there's a party when we go to the NAIB..before - during - and after.

marge618

CCA member
If we arrange a group trip, I'll do my best to pull any strings I have and try to get some "behind the scenes" action. I volunteer in the Australia exhibit, so most of my connections lie there. We could make a day of it, plan to do lunch and even an O's game if people are adventurous.

This sounds like an adventure to me. I like the idea.

marge618

CCA member
B-more is expensive! I want to take the kids this summer, it'll be $120 for the family and that's with the little one getting in free. But, it is the coolest aquarium I've been to.

I really want to see the one in Atlanta, even before I was a fish freak I wanted to see it.

Check out the membership fees. I think you might find that family membership with unlimited trips to the aquarium is a good deal.

maddog10

Members
I got to help take care of the octopus for a year. The one in the display tank and the little tiny one in the back room. Way cool!