• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What's your favorite public aquarium?

Cartel

Members
I would def be in for a field trip! I have only been to the Dallas one lame...and B'more fun.

Im going to Cali at the end of the month so what a good one to go to in Southern Cal?

mrkillie

Members
If you have AAA you can get discount tix there. Can save a few bucks-I think it's 10%. And if you are dribving, there is a coupon on the website for a couple bucks off parking.

Joel

If you are not a member of AAA, why not? You save 5%-10% on most hotels. If you don't stay overnight, you can take day trips-get a tour book for your area-they are free-as many as you need. I got 5 of them a month or so ago before going to the National Aquarium, where they said they had the discount tix. If you are not a member they are $10-12 each. Now I can plan day trips all summer. What you can save over the course of a year more than pays for the membership. And of course, there's the free towing thing if you breakdown (among other benefits).

I'm just sayin'.

Joel

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I was a member of Baltimore the first year it opened.
I really should be one again. Been 5 times in the last 12 months. A lot of our speakers want to go there when in town so I take them.
The best one was when Dan Woodland was in town last year. We got there on a Friday evening 1 hour before close. They let you stay in there for 2 hours after closing time. I don't think there were 40 people in the place. Dan loved it. It had been years since he had been there.

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I had been volunteering at the DC National Aquarium for over 5 years. They really needed help. Now they have completed the makeover and the atmosphere is much better and it has quite a number of new tanks and a ton more fish. PVAS started there in 1960 which is why we have rented it for the 50th Anniversary celebration June 5, 2010.
The DC National Aquarium will start construction on a brand new aquarium on the other end of the same building with doors to open in the summer of 2013. At least that is the plan. I plan to again volunteer there when they start construction for real. Actually they have already cleared out the whole end to the building already where they plan to build the new one.

As for other places, I have never visited an aquarium I did not like. All seem to have something unique. THe worst was the NJ Aquarium which is probably why it was rebuilt. I have not been to the new one in NJ yet, but plan on a trip there. The one I always considered the very best was the Tennessee Aquarium and it was for years and years, but then it got mold in it and I could not stay inside. They have redone it also and built a new separate aquarium next door so they actually have two. The Tenn. Aq actually has the best fresh water displays I have seen. Most other aquariums are focused on salt water. I like them all and would go to any of them frequently if I could.

BTW, if you volunteer at the DC National Aquarium which is run by the same management as the Baltimore National Aquarium ( there is a story about how they both got the name of National Aquarium), you get free admission to both and at Baltimore can go in the employee entrance without having to stand in line to get in. Beside when you volunteer you get to talk fish all day.

Well I have only been to B-more aquarium so I gotta say that is my favorite. This july I will go to orlando so I'll get to see SEA WORLD. Since I am driving,on my way back I will stop by the Georgia aquarium, and check that out too.

maddog10

Members
There is a smaller aquarium at the Outer Banks, NC. I think it is actually in Manteo, NC. It was small. but nice. What I liked most was it was only $8 to get in and it wasn't crowded.

Lively

Members
There is a smaller aquarium at the Outer Banks, NC. I think it is actually in Manteo, NC. It was small. but nice. What I liked most was it was only $8 to get in and it wasn't crowded.

That's the one I couldn't remember. I've been there. I remember it being a nice one, as well.

I agree with Frank about the one in Tennessee. Its in the heart of Chattanooga along the river. Really beautiful setting, great little shops surrounding it, including a MicroBrewery/Pub and some amazing fresh water displays. The salt water tank they have takes up almost an entire building and has many different view points to look at it through similar to the one at the Georgia Aquarium, although Georgia's main tank is better IMO. There is also a butterfly area at the top of the saltwater building along with some other wildlife demonstrations. It appears they have also done some upgrades since I visited last, including adding penguins. The other thing I remember is that this was the first place I was exposed to NANFA(North American Native Fish Association), there was a great book on darters for sale in the giftshop.

http://www.tnaqua.org/

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
The DC National Aquarium will start construction on a brand new aquarium on the other end of the same building with doors to open in the summer of 2013. At least that is the plan. I plan to again volunteer there when they start construction for real. Actually they have already cleared out the whole end to the building already where they plan to build the new one.

BTW, if you volunteer at the DC National Aquarium which is run by the same management as the Baltimore National Aquarium ( there is a story about how they both got the name of National Aquarium), you get free admission to both and at Baltimore can go in the employee entrance without having to stand in line to get in. Beside when you volunteer you get to talk fish all day.

Will the DC Aquarium be expanding its staff when it expands its facility? I've always wanted to work at an aquarium full time. I need to take advantage of my free admission to the DC aquarium, I've never been. Its in the basement of a federal building, right?

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I agree with Frank about the one in Tennessee. Its in the heart of Chattanooga along the river. Really beautiful setting, great little shops surrounding it, including a MicroBrewery/Pub and some amazing fresh water displays. The salt water tank they have takes up almost an entire building and has many different view points to look at it through similar to the one at the Georgia Aquarium, although Georgia's main tank is better IMO.
http://www.tnaqua.org/

I am prejudiced coming from Chicago. I go to Shedd every time I visit. The porpoise show there is the best with Lake Michigan as a backdrop. That alone is worth the trip.

Best display I ever saw was in the New Orleans aquarium pre Katrina. They had so many different kinds of jelly fish that I can't even remember how many. All were in round (they have to be) tanks with lights under or over them. They were breeding them. It was wiped out by that b--ch Katrina.

Every aquarium I have been to has at least one exhibit that really sticks out so I wouldn't want to have to rank them BUT if the Chattanooga aquarium has a micro brew pub, come on fools, it wins hands down - end of contest!!!!:lol::lol::cool::jumpy::jumpy:

George

krisw

Members
To be honest, I was disappointed by the Atlanta Aquarium when I was there last year. The huge tank is incredible, but beyond that, I felt like there wasn't much variety, and that the number of exhibits was far less than other aquariums. Right now, my #1 is the Monterey Aquarium. The multi-story Kelp forest there, with critters that came in from the Ocean during their "water changes" is amazing. Baltimore is a close second too, although it's been awhile since I made it up there.

I really liked the Tampa Aquarium when I was there 7-8 years ago, but admittedly, I wasn't much into the aquarium hobby then, so I'd like to go back to see if that impression still stands.

Seattle's aquarium was just okay, but did have some interesting exhibits about salmon and other north-western specific exhibits. New Orleans wasn't bad either, but I visited it pre-Katrina, so I'm curious how it looks now.

I'll have to put Chattanooga on my agenda next time we visit family down in those parts. Same with the Shedd.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I could spend hours in front of that big tank in Atlanta.

The Monterey was great. The fact that they can pull water straight in has got to save them millions per year.

I have not been to the DC aquarium in 28 years.

I mentioned Dallas before. I think there were more birds and monkeys than the total number of fish in the place. Just like the Lion that they keep in a glass cube. Looked terrible. Like it would die at anytime.
Why is there a lion in an aquarium. They money they spend on him and food would buy a lot of fish.

I have always loved Baltimore but they are falling behind. Too me. Plus like I said before, it looks rundown in spots. There are a lot of people through there and it takes its toll.
I can make a list but I guess its not a good thing. lol But when I take a speaker in there a couple have mentioned things like the dust on the whale bones......

mscichlid

Founder
At the Shedd in the Amazon exhibit there are these big cichlids that remind you of severums, but I have been unable to find out what they are. The body is a pale tan and there is a bright purple band across there face under the eyes. Whatever it is...I want it.