• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What kind of rocks do you use for your tanks and where do you get them?

Paul S

Update: After further investigation, the stuff I got is a type of limestone. Won't work for my tanks. Bummer.

Paul S

Nothing? That wierd, it shows up for me... It's a little slow to load...

Oh yeah. To prep it for my tanks, I power washed all of it with a new, chemical-free, 3600 PSI power washer so its all nice and clean....

Can someone let me know if the link works now?

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I get mine from patapsco river as well. just clean them well and bake them or boil to be sure. great selections in the river and on its banks.

Paul S

BTW, as far as the vinegar test is concerned. I got this tip from one of the guys in GWAPA. Test with powder scrapings from the stone. I tested a piece of limestone and saw no reaction. Then I tested some powder scraped from the stone and sure enough, it fizzled in the vinegar...

Paul S

For my purposes, the limestone is no good. I want to maintain softer, slightly acidic water and the limestone would raise the PH.

For people who want harder, more akaline water (higher PH), the limestone could be beneficial.

As far as mica goes, I don't know.

Paul S

I've got two bags - 100 plus lbs. A mix of sizes and shapes. I'll give the whole lot for $20 - that's about $10 less than what I paid. Plus it's all powerwashed...

Paul S

You can email me at psandler@comcast.net.
If you come over for the rock you take a look at the mopani wood too. I think you mentioned (on another thread) that you may be interested in that too. I have three very nice, clean pieces...cheap.