• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

What did you do to your tank(s) today?

Buckcich

Members
There will be plenty of micro-fauna in the tank for the fry to pick from, to survive 3 or 4 days. The adults will go a week without harmful effects. From personal experience.
As long as the fish are healthy they will survive just fine.
Mouthbroading females don't eat (as a general case) for 23/27 days.
When shipping wild caught from the lakes in Africa, the fish won't be fed (or very, very little) as much as 10 days!!
In the lakes itself, the amount of food intake is a infinite portion of what we feed them in our glasscages. I'll venture to say that EVERYBODY OVERFEEDS their fish compare to what a wild fish would eat in the wild.

So rest assure Loni, your fish and their fry will be fine. Enjoy your mini vacancy and Merry Christmas!!
Tell the sitter to stay away from the fish tanks and to make sure the dogs are well taken for.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I set up a new air pump to run all the devices on 7 tanks in my "spare" bedroom. Works pretty well. Flow is awesome (too much, actually) so I had to run out and run valves on each line. Before the valves, I was actually splashing water out of tanks the flow was so high. Only concern is the pump is a bit noisy. I'm probably just sensitive to it because I am expecting it to be loud.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
More work today...Just finished water changes on the tanks upstairs and moved a bunch of fish around:

- Moved some grow out cutteri from a 20 long into the 75 with other grow outs.
- Moved a bunch of centrarchus fry from a 29 to a 20 long to continue growing out.
- Moved a pair of Lake Nicaragua Grenada convicts from the 55 into their own 29.
- Moved a grow out group of Rio Chahal chetulmensis and a pair of grow out HRP's from a 20 long into the 55.
- Moved a pair of Rio Caboyo convicts from a 10 gallon to a 20 long. They spawned in the 10, so I left the fry in the 10 to grow. These are some really cool cons - the males get a lot of yellow.

On to water changes on the big tanks during the Redskins game...

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
This morning I did water changes on the pari of 29's, the 90 and the 150.
I removed some Val from the 150.
Moved a female empress back to the 90.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Did some water changes and cleaned some box filters...

Moved some undescribed Eastern Uruguayan acaras (Cichlasoma sp.) to their own 2'x2'x1'...hopefully to get busy...

Matt

mscichlid

Founder
Water change on the 120. Manually cleaned out a lot of slimy thread algae, trimmed, cleaned one of the 3 filters, and dipped some plants in H202. Reduced the light duration and turned up the C02. Crossed fingers.

mscichlid

Founder
Finally suspended light above the shrimp tanks. Added heaters to their tanks and hung surge protector for the light timer. Sat in the chair with music blasting and stared at all the other tanks to figure out what I had to do next. Spied the pleco that I thought I'd transfered to the 120 still in the shrimp tank. Will transfer him to the 120 tomorrow.

Need to refill for wc's before going on vacay...

dankdabe

Members
Did a 20% wc on the JD 55, pulled rocks and scrubbed off algae. Did my first 20% wc on the new mbuna 55. Picked up 6 SRT Hongi and 3 Mwbecas juvies from Paul Reis (Buckcich) on Friday night and they look great. Rambunctious teenagers.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Water changes on all the tanks upstairs yesterday. Rio Cubayo convict fry doing well. Leuctistic HRP are guarding eggs.

Water changes on the big tanks down stairs today.

rsretep

Members
Had a JUlidochromis dickfeldi get into my net breeder holding some 15 lepidolamprologus Hecqui fry (****) needless to say lost seven but was able to save eight

discovered the L.Hecqui have bred again so more fry were spotted

my 75 gallon is a mix or central and south americans and my pair of Ceibals are in breeding condition and doing their thing...

plus stripped a female Metriclima cyneusmarginatus of four fry and placed those in a net breeder next to the L. Hecqui fry

minifoot77

Members
well i'm in the middle of redoing my fish house and i set up a 135g plywood tank from george and 3 twenty highs under it with a sump :) all home built stand and a dangerchicken sump :)

340338_10150442713913007_686598006_8310532_1568237475_o.jpg

330063_10150442711283007_686598006_8310529_2056163740_o.jpg

mscichlid

Founder
What else? Water changes. Still can't figure out the nitrate problem in 120. Have done consecutive 90% wc and the nitrates still measure off the charts.