• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Update on my new (formerly Sam's) 100 gallon tank

chriscoli

Administrator
We have the 300 watt Eheim Jaeger in the 150 and it does beautifully - not pretty, but still my favorite heaters. If you got 2, you could always hide them behind the mattenfilters. The outflow from the powerheads should keep water moving enough to distribute the heat provided the foam pads don't get too clogged up.

That is a COOL tank - it was my favorite at Sam's place.

Good to know....I'll look into those heaters.

Yes, definitely hidden behind the mattenfilters....that's the beauty of them! Anything that fits can get put behind them!

mchambers

Former CCA member
So far, no leaks....so things seem to be going pretty well. I did have one problem today, though. I've been periodically checking to make sure there are no leaks before going further for a few days....well today after work, I noticed that the tank was radiating heat. Well, seems the new heater was bad and it had the tank at 103F! :eek:
103F is amazing, especially on a tank that size. Talk about a bad heater. Wow.

chriscoli

Administrator
to remove the silicone did you use solvents or just a scraper?

I did most of the removal with a single-edge blade (in one of those cheap plastic holders you can get at the Big Box hardware stores), then went in and did some detail removal with an X-acto knife in the corners. Then went over it with a bit of ethanol or isopropyl to make sure it was all off. I actually went back and forth a few times between the single-edge blade and went over it all with a final wipe-off using isopropyl to make sure I didn't leave any oil from my hands where the new silicone was going to go.

are you considering a heater controller?

At this point, I'm not, although I've heard of some very good reasons to use them.

AquaStudent

Members
That's a wild ride! I'm interested in watching the progression.

I'm curious about the Mattenfilter. Does it function as a 'column' sponge filter and also give a compartment for hiding equipment? That's interesting and I've never seen that before. Seems like a great way to kill two birds with one stone. (I'll have to track down Andrew's thread on them)

It's hard to tell but is the foam siliconed into position? I feel like that would make it impossible to clean (so it's probably a clear plastic strip I'm looking at that's siliconed in place and the sponge is held in place by compression).

Are you going to have any other forms of filtration? A canister may be difficult to make work that low to the ground but there's always HOB :)

Link to Andrew's thread for the curious ones - http://www.capitalcichlids.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16310&highlight=mattenfilter

ezrk

Members
I have a 300w Eheim heater and just a word of warning....it is huge like the biggest heater you have ever seen. It will NOT fit vertically in a 21" tank...It will however, heat the heck out of your water which is why I have it, I needed it the one time I had ick and needed get the water up into the mid-80s.

ezrk

Members
While they are pricey ($80 or so), I relay like the Jehmco temperature controllers, they are easy to use and (by reputation from both the reef world as well as other real world applications - including I understand running commercial refrigerators and brewing beer) they are thought to be extremely reliable.

I think they are worth it considering that heaters are the thing most likely to kill my fish in normal operation and this pretty much removes that risk...

chriscoli

Administrator
I have a 300w Eheim heater and just a word of warning....it is huge like the biggest heater you have ever seen. It will NOT fit vertically in a 21" tank...It will however, heat the heck out of your water which is why I have it, I needed it the one time I had ick and needed get the water up into the mid-80s.

Yeah, as i was looking at them, i did a double take when i saw their size!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I got a little more done on the tank today....I've been out of town for work, then sick with a nasty cough, so not much has gotten done lately....I'm really behind on water changes too. But, before I left for my out of town travel, I threw a bunch of wood into the tank to start getting it saturated.

Today I began rearranging the wood that was put in the tank before I left last weekend and more was brought over from from the 55 that's getting moved into this tank. I also moved over most of the plants. Fish are still in the 55.... We'll see how much energy I have for that part as the day progresses.

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Thanks, Guys!

Most of the fish got moved....I've left the Krobia in the 55 for now to see if they'll settle down and spawn before I move them. They were spawning in the 55 before, but with all of the other occupants, the fry never had a chance. So, they'll probably come over to this tank later on.

In the meantime, here's what got moved: 3 A heckelii, several Steatocranus tinanti, a pair of Jewels, 2 pair Coatepeques, several clown loaches, a handful of cories, some whiptails, 2 mustard spot plecos, 3 Angelicus plecos, and a lonely L255.

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
The female Coatepeques are both hanging out with the Steatos while the male Coatepeques determine territories...

image.jpg