• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Update on my new (formerly Sam's) 100 gallon tank

chriscoli

Administrator
I had been been looking for a 6-foot tank for a while, but the stars just hadn't aligned as far as having 1.) a tank available 2.) a place to put the tank and 3.) being able to kick my husband's car out of the garage for any pre-setup tank maintenance.

Well, when Sam had his clearance event not that long ago, two out of the above three items came into alignment....giving me justification to make my husband park in the driveway for a bit.

Tony, Sam, and a friend of mine somehow managed to get that 6-foot tank out of Sam's apartment (Maria and I watched in horror) but everything made it downstairs just fine, and to my knowledge, nobody suffered slipped disks or a hernia. It was a HUGE task and I was extremely grateful for all of the help!

I've got some pics of the process of resealing and setting up the tank....let me find them and I'll get them posted.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd like to see the video of Sam, Tony, and your friend getting it down the stairs!

Seriously, keep us posted on your progress.

chriscoli

Administrator
Here's the tank with the old silicone removed, cleaned up ready for new stuff....

image.jpg

Last edited:

chriscoli

Administrator
The silicone is pretty thick, but I'm happy with the way it went on. Leak test in the garage was successful....

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Another view of the Mattenfilter....about an inch and a half of foam still needs to be trimmed off the top.

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
So, at this point, Bruce is starting to make small noises about wanting the garage back, and I've painted the backside of the tank brown (Tony's suggestion to do brown rather than black).

Tony and Jon were able to stop by before last Saturday's meeting and move the tank into the house....after some clever "engineer moments",they were able to get it onto the bottom shelf of an Edsall shelving unit that I have a few 40B tanks already on.

So, I started filling the tank on Sunday, and adding some sand and rocks....

image.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
So far, no leaks....so things seem to be going pretty well. I did have one problem today, though. I've been periodically checking to make sure there are no leaks before going further for a few days....well today after work, I noticed that the tank was radiating heat. Well, seems the new heater was bad and it had the tank at 103F! :eek:

So, I've pulled that heater out and I'll get another one ASAP. I had thrown in a single, lonely guppy to check that I hadn't used anything overly toxic in the tank....well, not surprisingly, it didn't make it. Bruce's only comment was "hmmmph. braised guppy."

chriscoli

Administrator
As for tank contents.....I have an overcrowded 55 that's going to get transferred into this new tank....occupants include: A. Heckelii, Orange Krobia (Xingu), Coatepeques, Jewels, Buffalo Heads, Whiptails, and a handful of various plecos. Lots of driftwood and anubias.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That set up looks great! You might consider going with two heaters. I think one will be okay depending on location and flow but two might be safer.

How many krobia xingu do you have?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Looking good, Chris. Bummer on the heater, but at least you found out is was bad before the tank was stocked. Looking forward to updates!

chriscoli

Administrator
Did you put pumps behind the filter foam media? If so which pumps did you use?

Drew

Yes, power heads behind both....one is a Cobalt MJ900, the other is an MJ400.

That set up looks great! You might consider going with two heaters. I think one will be okay depending on location and flow but two might be safer.

How many krobia xingu do you have?

Totally agree on the heaters.....was planning on getting an additional one, but I guess I'm getting 2 now!

Hmmmmm. I think 5 or 6 of the Krobia. They're almost always in breeding dress, I think I've got 2 pairs. They seem to spawn on the backside of the driftwood so I frequently see them guarding something but can't see what. I'm hoping to rescue a batch in the near future. Maybe I'll even temporarily put some of the Krobia in another tank for a bit to see if I can make keeping a spawn easier.

Looking good, Chris. Bummer on the heater, but at least you found out is was bad before the tank was stocked. Looking forward to updates!

100% agree!!! So glad I found out BEFORE moving the fish!

Becca

Members
We have the 300 watt Eheim Jaeger in the 150 and it does beautifully - not pretty, but still my favorite heaters. If you got 2, you could always hide them behind the mattenfilters. The outflow from the powerheads should keep water moving enough to distribute the heat provided the foam pads don't get too clogged up.

That is a COOL tank - it was my favorite at Sam's place.