• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

This rain! Insane!

mscichlid

Founder
I think I figured out that the run of gutter should have two downspouts. After dragging out that heavy, ginormous ladder and cleaning out the same downspout over and over it still overflows during heavy rain.

Please don't flood my fishroom again. <sigh>

I think my first course of action is to extend my concrete patio. Geesh, mo' money, mo' money. :angry3:

chriscoli

Administrator
We just had an impressive downpour (with more on the way, I think). I'm looking out the window here at work at our little creek...this is the fullest I've seen it.

Buckcich

Members
Franny a much cheaper solution is, just atach a 4" black corrugated plastic pipe to the end of your downspout (s), and run it away from the house. The idea is to not saturate the ground around your house with the additional square footage worth of rain from your roof.
Try to run it down the slope of your lot, but even if your lot is on level ground, a good 25' will make a huge difference on weather you flood the basement or not. Rain water concentrated at footing of your is no good.
I don't think adding another downspout will work, because the gutters are instaled pitching ( level) in one direction.
If you plain on adding a patio you sould install the above mention pipe when excavating the foundation to pour the patio.
Simple, try to keep AS MUCH WATER away from the house.
I hope it helps.

Last edited:

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Franny a much cheaper solution is, just atach a 4" black corrugated plastic pipe to the end of your downspout (s), and run it away from the house. The idea is to not saturate the ground around your house with the additional square footage worth of rain from your roof.
Try to run it down the slope of your lot, but even if your lot is on level ground, a good 25' will make a huge difference on weather you flood the basement or not. Rain water concentrated at footing of your is no good.
I don't think adding another downspout will work, because the gutters are instaled pitching ( level) in one direction.
If you plain on adding a patio you sould install the above mention pipe when excavating the foundation to pour the patio.
I hope it helps.
+1

jonclark96

Past CCA President
This rain is no fun. Of course, it hasn't significantly rained for weeks until I finally pull the trigger to replace the siding and gutters on the house. They finished the siding on Saturday and have not yet been back to replace the gutters. I've got no way to control the rain coming off the roof. So far, so good, but if it keeps raining for 2 more days, I'm afraid I'll have to figure some way to keep the water from coming in the basement door.

mscichlid

Founder
I hope it helps.

I've had the area regraded and it works really well most of the time, but continuouse downpours saturate the soil and it seeps in after the rain stops. That's why, in my opinion a concrete slab would be cheaper.

According to the Weather Channel, we are supposed to have rain every day until next Tuesday

Last edited by a moderator:

mscichlid

Founder
Msjinkzd cannot ship this week. Her town is under 4' of water. Her basement is flooding and the town is being evacuated. She doesn't have power and internet is spotty at best. She said things are pretty hairy and is glad she has equipment to help deal with the situation.

When I hear something from her, I'll let you know.

Franny.

mscichlid

Founder
According to the Weather Channel, we are supposed to have rain every day until next Tuesday

brass-wood-screw.jpg

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
Msjinkzd cannot ship this week. Her town is under 4' of water. Her basement is flooding and the town is being evacuated. She doesn't have power and internet is spotty at best. She said things are pretty hairy and is glad she has equipment to help deal with the situation.

When I hear something from her, I'll let you know.

Franny.
SENDING OUT A PRAYER FOR HER.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Holy....
Hope she is okay.

I just cant wait to get home to see if the family room ceiling is on the floor yet. Started leaking during the hurricane. Was wet again last night.

Buckcich

Members
Yeah York and Lancaster, PA area got hit pretty bad. Hoping that Rachel and her family are able to deal with this mess. Also everybody else affected.
Jon if you are concerned about not having gutters on your house, you can go to any hardware store and get a roll of 2 mil plastic dropcloth ( usually 10' to 12' wide) and unroll it around the house. At least you won't have the rainwater coming off the roof directly on top of your house foundation. Several plastic tarps will work also.

mscichlid

Founder
Emptied the smaller water barrells to move them. Put rolled towels down to suck up what's started coming in...two steps forward, two steps back. Better go get the shop vac outta the shed. @%?&%^$

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The crew showed up this morning and hung gutters in the rain. Makes me feel a whole lot better...

I hope everything gets better for everyone else with water issues.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
its only gotten worse here :( Two sump pumps going and it was still over my ankles when I checked at 4am. I started up another pump, but with how much rain is still being forecast, this is not looking good. Supposedly the sewer authority is underwater as well, so who knows how long I will be able to keep pumping as we don't ahve any windows in the basement. Glad I bought a generator though...

On a good note, 4am is DEFINITELY the time to go grocery shopping. I saw one other person.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dang Rach. Missed this post yesterday.

So sorry about your flooding. I sure hope the rain lets up soon.

illpoet

Members
arg thats a bummer, and here i was sad about the rain bc i wanted to go fishing... i hope everyone stays dry!