• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Survival rates w/ dropsy?

captmicha

Members
Anyone have a fish that recovered from dropsy? One of my female guppies in the sorority tank has it and I've medicated and it seems to actually have gone down. I know for sure it's not pregnancy or constipation. It's pretty disgusting... One of the grossest things I've ever seen. Actually made me consider not keeping scaled fish anymore!

I hope I don't lose her from organ damage later on. I mean, yes, it's a guppy but still...

Frank Cowherd

Global Moderators
Staff member
I also have never seen a fish survive dropsy. By the time you see the scales sticking out it is too late. The internal bacteria has taken over. At lease it is not contagious. But the conditions in the tank that caused it in the first place must be rememdied or some other fish will also get it. Usually it is a result of overfeeding and not maintaining water quality.

neut

Members
I have not, but here's an article that might be helpful:

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2006/11/betta-with-dropsy.html
I've never had a fish with dropsy (bloat, yes). My only comment is the above link is the same that came to my mind. The writer is not just a hobbyist, he's been an aquarium professional for years and I've probably learned more about meds, how they work, which ones to use or combine, etc. from stuff he's written than anywhere else.

Only thing I'd add is if you're dealing with a digestive issue, not kidney, etc., here's a treatment alternative that might help.