• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September Meeting w/Chuck Rambo

Hello,
Does anyone have Chuck's contact email or remember the farms where he went to get his fish. I am planning a trip to Florida next spring and was planning on taking a stab at collecting some fish down there. I thought it was this place
http://www.tropicalfishmiami.com/shop/
that Chuck said something about him quarentining his caught fish and them shipping them to him. This place said they do neither. Also does anybody remember the name of the group that sets up trips down there. I admit, I didn't take notes and lost the handout that was given.:unsure:

Thanks,
Rama

maddog10

Members
The fish farm trips were probably special arrangements as several of the people that went on the trip were bigwigs in the hobby. They may not let you or me in the front door.

Anybody Keep their Info

The fish farm trips were probably special arrangements as several of the people that went on the trip were bigwigs in the hobby. They may not let you or me in the front door.

I understand that he's an experienced pro in the hobby but I thought the whole point of the presentation is to let people know that you don't have to go to Peru or Tanganyika to catch your favorite fish, am I wrong. He spoke of other groups that arrange trips and of a fish farm thats open to the public. All I'm trying to do is get that information that he spoke of from somebody.

maddog10

Members
If you go as a group, you would probably have a better chance of getting in. 1 or 2 people may not make it in.

You can fish/collect in the canals, ponds and ditches all across the state.

longstocking

Members
Konings was with them guys... I think any hatchery down there would have let them in !

The point of the presentation was that anyone can collect in the ditches just as Maddog stated.

dogofwar

CCA Members
...from the ACA website (http://www.cichlid.org/index.php?pageid=aca_officials)

Chuck Rambo
6474 Baguuio Court, San Jose, CA 95119. 408-225-9175.
charles_rambo@urscorp.com | ACA Forum Name : cichlidguy

When I was a kid I called one of the fish farms in the Tampa area, said that my Dad and I were members of a fish club in Ohio and would write an article about our visit...and were welcomed with open arms.

There is an outfit that guides Florida fish collecting tours (in the Miami area, if I recall)... I'd bet that Chuck has the contact info...

Best wishes,
Matt

September meeting w/ Chuck Rambo

Thanks Matt. I will send him an email.

...from the ACA website (http://www.cichlid.org/index.php?pageid=aca_officials)

Chuck Rambo
6474 Baguuio Court, San Jose, CA 95119. 408-225-9175.
charles_rambo@urscorp.com | ACA Forum Name : cichlidguy

When I was a kid I called one of the fish farms in the Tampa area, said that my Dad and I were members of a fish club in Ohio and would write an article about our visit...and were welcomed with open arms.

There is an outfit that guides Florida fish collecting tours (in the Miami area, if I recall)... I'd bet that Chuck has the contact info...

Best wishes,
Matt

fishfarm

Members
Very few of the fish farms in Florida are going to let you come on their farm, I doubt any will let you bring fish you caught onto their farm either. People like Chuck and Ad are well know in the hobby and have been around for many years. It's very different for them than the rest of us. But going down there and catching fish is not hard, I used to do it all the time, the farther south you go the more diversity, the everglades is slap full of exotics. Ken

I can understand that. I just feel a little let down and mislead. From my point of view, its almost like someone going into a prison and giving a speech to inmates on their trip to the playboy mansion. I feel so teased and unpriveledged, :( But I still do plan on going down there in the spring and catching some fish. Even if they don't make it back alive. I also emailed Chuck so if he responds with good info I'll post it for the other members who want to do it too.

Steve

Members
In Fwiw category, Chuck did make a point of noting that Laif DeMason had told him, in response to local fish guys saying that he'd never let them collect on his farm, that "they had never asked!" The implication was that he would let people in, if he were asked . . . but that was implied not stated.

I am still thinking about catching some red devils on a fly rod . . . .

Steve

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I believe the fact that Chuck knows everyone down there is a good reason he gets in. But like he said, you never know without asking. I just had my doubts that they would let people that they don't know take the fish. If they did that all the time then no one would bother to buy from them. And if they sell to the general public all the time then whats the incentive for the stores to buy from them.?
Don't know.

If all plans work, Laif will be here next year to give us a talk. In discussions now.

BevN

Members
Chuck did mention a trip in the spring to visit some of the places along the west coast up to Tampa.

We are hoping to be able to go. I told Chuck I want to go fishing for peacock bass! Sounds fun to me.

I doubt unless your well known or possibly a customer of these places that you'll get in. The world of importers and suppliers is a pretty closed bunch and if you don't know someone your not getting in. Heck you have to know someone to just get a list from some of these guys. You need references!

Sonny Disposition

The main one was Old World Exotics.

Hello,
Does anyone have Chuck's contact email or remember the farms where he went to get his fish. I am planning a trip to Florida next spring and was planning on taking a stab at collecting some fish down there. I thought it was this place
http://www.tropicalfishmiami.com/shop/
that Chuck said something about him quarentining his caught fish and them shipping them to him. This place said they do neither. Also does anybody remember the name of the group that sets up trips down there. I admit, I didn't take notes and lost the handout that was given.:unsure:

Thanks,
Rama

For those who are interested. I email Chuck about the fish collecting trips and he responded back. He did say that he had to go with store owners who had accounts with the fish farms and that they had to get Travelers insurance to visit the farms which weren't open to the public. He directed me to Gulf Coast Aquarium Society for setting up a fish collecting trip. I emailed them and they told me to let them know when I was coming down, which will be in March. They said that they will tour several fish farms and also invited me to try to schedule it around one of their meeting. I'll keep everyone posted if I find out more info.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I lived across the bay from Tampa near St Pete and have collected a bit further south. You really won't see much in the way of Peacocks as far north as Tampa. You really have to go where Chuck showed us to get peacocks and Oscars. If you want Peacocks, stay closer to Miami.

George

Chuck did mention a trip in the spring to visit some of the places along the west coast up to Tampa.

We are hoping to be able to go. I told Chuck I want to go fishing for peacock bass! Sounds fun to me.

I doubt unless your well known or possibly a customer of these places that you'll get in. The world of importers and suppliers is a pretty closed bunch and if you don't know someone your not getting in. Heck you have to know someone to just get a list from some of these guys. You need references!

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

Maybe we could judge the interest in having a trip like Chuck had. If I remember they got a group together and met at a certain location in Florida. Everyone made their own arrangements, stayed where they wanted and they met each day down there.

Hmm

Jumbie

Members

Maybe we could judge the interest in having a trip like Chuck had. If I remember they got a group together and met at a certain location in Florida. Everyone made their own arrangements, stayed where they wanted and they met each day down there.

Hmm

Songs like your on to something there Pat lol

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org