• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

September Meeting Auction - Just A Few Days Left to Register Items

jonclark96

Past CCA President
CCA:

I'm looking forward to our first meeting of the fall this weekend. It looks like a few folks have already registered their items for the meeting auction, but I know there are plenty more people who have stuff to sell after the summer break. Don't forget to go to MyGroupAuctions.com and register your items for sale.

See you on Saturday!

Jon

chriscoli

Administrator
Several people have contacted me asking if they can donate an item to this upcoming auction and have the proceeds go to Josh.

So here's what we're going to do:

If you have an auction item that you want auctioned off for Josh, please DO NOT ENTER IT INTO MYGROUPAUCTIONS. Instead, I want you to put "Donation for Josh" on the bag. We'll have a spot on the auction table for you to put these items. They'll get auctioned off as usual. Runners, please also mark the slip of paper where you record information about the lot with "Donation for Josh". We'll set those aside during the auction and at the end, we'll tally up the total and give that to Josh.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Great idea for the auction! I wish I could be there to donate some items, but I won't be able to make the meeting this month. I'll donate some items next month if we're still able to help Josh at that point.

chriscoli

Administrator
For now I'd like to limit the donations to this month. This is a one-time deal to see how it goes.

If people want to donate in the future, they can always put their auction proceeds toward Josh's GoFundMe site.

JLW

CCA Members
Hey folks, just an update -- I'm about halfway there, and really appreciate every penny coming in from you guys and everywhere else. Ya'll rock. :)

ddavila06

Members
This is incredible team work, I will be coming last minute decision and i'm bringing a few things for my friend's fund :)

mchambers

Former CCA member
Hygrophila

just noticed that there is hygrophila polisperma in mga listed:
104 Hygrophila polysperma (easy to grow plant) $0.00

that plant is a noxious weed and it is illegal to sell/take across state lines. seller should be notified of this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygrophila_polysperma
I'm the seller. It's not illegal in Maryland (I checked before I listed it).

By the way, someone was selling the same plant last week at the PVAS auction.

Thought you'd want to know.

Matt

ddavila06

Members
I'm the seller. It's not illegal in Maryland (I checked before I listed it).

By the way, someone was selling the same plant last week at the PVAS auction.

Thought you'd want to know.

Matt

if it was polisperma, i wasn't there so i didn't check :/, i usually do, haven't seen it in years within pvas.. this does not apply to hygro. corymbosa angustifolia, which was at pvas auction the august meeting.

This is just me, but given that this plant is a weed in the federal list, why bother to keep it? it is easy to grow and spread and accidents happen..how would you label it so that the buyer doesn't transport it to va? elsewhere??

thanks for checking regardless.

ddavila06

Members
It was polysperma at PVAS. I was there and saw it.

It would have been good to say something. I am not criticizing you, but a lot of people do not know. I will start a thread on PVAS about that, let me see if I can find a link w some info on that. Thanks for letting me know.
BTW, it is illegal to sell/trade or transport, but not to keep, which is dumb imo.

Becca

Members
I bought it. I was going to put it in the 150, but can also destroy it. It didn't cost more than the club donation and I didn't mind donating, either way. If the responsible thing to do is get rid of it, let me know.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLW

CCA Members
Not exactly true, Arlene. The Federal Government actually lacks the jurisdiction to ban a plant within a given state (at least under these laws). There are no /federal/ laws prohibiting the possession or growth of Hygrophila polysperma or most other federally noxious weeds. However, it is illegal, under Federal law, to transport this plant over any state line, as well as to import it. These laws generally eliminate the trade of an organism within a given state; for example, it's technically legal in many states to buy, sell, trade, own, whatever snakehead (Maryland is NOT one of those states)... but, insomuch as there's no legal way to get one....

Each state has then the options to choose how to enact limiting laws on plants. In the case of Virginia, it is illegal to buy, sell, or trade Hygro. polysperma, (and possibly to possess it, I'd have to look up the laws again, and it's 1130). In Maryland, the law is a bit more complicated. There are a set of tiered levels of 'banned plants,' Tier 1 and Tier 2. Tier 1 plants may not be bought, sold, or traded under any circumstances, except as part of real estate. Propagation is also illegal, but is a vaguely defined term, at best. Tier 2 plants may be bought, sold, etc., provided any seller conspicuously notifies any purchaser of the possibility of this plant become invasive.

Bureaucracy at its best... they have been trying to come up with a list of plants for Tier 1 and Tier 2 since at least 2012. The website indicates that they expect to have an initial list up by June of 2015, but that list isn't up. :) They've begun assessments of thirty or so species, but none of them are actually aquarium plants (an Iris, a Ranunculus, and purple loosestrife are on the list, and are marginal plants).

So, currently, there's actually NO law limiting the sale of Hygro. polysperma in Maryland. Go nuts. It will eventually likely be listed as a Tier 2 plant.

That being said, don't take it across state lines, don't mail it to someone, and above all, be responsible with this or ANY aquarium plant (or animal, be it fish or snail or shrimp or Daphnia). Don't throw it in the compost pile, dry it out before disposal. Don't flush clippings down the toilet. Don't throw in the Potomac. And above all, don't give it to Damian.