• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Restocking the 150

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My only treatment for water is with driftwood in the tank...and ensuring that I'm NOT buffering with anything that would make it harder and/or more alkaline. Just plenty of water changes.

Andrew: Can I look at your book, too :D

Matt

Of course! Just let me know when you want it.

mrkillie

Members
Keep a group of Archocentrus / Cryptoheros types. Don't get too big (most 4-6") and come in a variety of colors; most are pretty peaceful. You could mix in a smaller Geophagus type (juruparis, steindachneris) with them no problem and larger cories and tetras won't be a problem mixing in there either. Some nanoluteus, sajicas and cheutalamensis would be great together. I had C. nanoluteus with rainbows, smaller cories, and tetras for a while with no problems.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Water Treatment?

Hmm
LOL for me its......

My africans + add water and dechlor = fry
my Discus + add water adn dechlor = fry
angels + add water and dechlor = fry

Hmm. add dechlor and water = water treatment. LOL

lmao. 10-4 Pat.

My Africans are easy. Have crushed coral in most tanks and let that do the buffering. For the couple of tanks without it, I generally dump in some baking soda.

I do tons of water changes. Sort of stick by the mantra that clean and stable water is better than dirty water with wild swings.

@Andrew - Would love to check out that book sometime. Maybe we can check it out over a frosty beverage.

@Matt - On my 6 footers, I generally do 60%-75% water changes every 7-10 days. Is this sufficient to provide good enough water quality for the proposed stocking level? Which species in particular are prone to HITH? - mostly the heckeleii, satanoperca and daemon? (Though I thnk the daemon get too big, no?)

I guess, in general, which of the Geos are considered the more difficult to keep and why (aggression/sensitivity to water/spastic-ness)?

Tony

Keep a group of Archocentrus / Cryptoheros types. Don't get too big (most 4-6") and come in a variety of colors; most are pretty peaceful. You could mix in a smaller Geophagus type (juruparis, steindachneris) with them no problem and larger cories and tetras won't be a problem mixing in there either. Some nanoluteus, sajicas and cheutalamensis would be great together. I had C. nanoluteus with rainbows, smaller cories, and tetras for a while with no problems.

Thanks Joel. I think the panamensis are a really cool looking fish. I'll take a look into those groups a bit more.

Lots of information to absorb at once, lol.... :wacko:

Tony

Holy crap. Now those are some *sick* fish.

[YT]AF5ChVXsdnY[/YT]

Geophagus surinamensis & Satanoperca daemon

mrkillie

Members
Thanks Joel. I think the panamensis are a really cool looking fish. I'll take a look into those groups a bit more.

Lots of information to absorb at once, lol.... :wacko:

Yes, panamensis too-got those. Those and the cheuts may be the best looking of the group. If you decide to go this route, let me know, I have nanoluteus youngsters, and some sajicas that are just a couple weeks old now.

Probably about 3-4 months away from my panamensis pairing off.

You could also mix in some firemouth types in that size tank. I think I'm talking myself into something here. :)

Tony

Then again, these guys are no slouches either....

[YT]tkhtCdvUSyg[/YT]

@Matt - You know, you really would have some pretty fish if you had more than a single 15 watt bulb lighting your fishroom. :p

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Am I over-thinking this?

Absolutely. And not at all. Setting up a new tank, and moreover one that is consistent with the enlightened and exalted New World Path, is not a trivial step. Revel in it Grasshopper, and may the blessings and epiphanies of righteousness light your way.

Tony

Absolutely. And not at all. Setting up a new tank, and moreover one that is consistent with the enlightened and exalted New World Path, is not a trivial step. Revel in it Grasshopper, and may the blessings and epiphanies of righteousness light your way.

david-carradine-241x300.jpg

I'm having fun with it, Sam. Learning about new fish is cool.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That's what I was just thinking: AMazing what some lights do ;)

All in due time...a fishroom is always a work in progress!

Matt

Then again, these guys are no slouches either....

[YT]tkhtCdvUSyg[/YT]

@Matt - You know, you really would have some pretty fish if you had more than a single 15 watt bulb lighting your fishroom. :p

dogofwar

CCA Members
Not to derail Tony's thread too much, but didn't David Carradine die in a hotel closet in Thailand a couple of years ago...the same way (allegedly) that the INXS singer did?

Come to the light side, Tony. The water's warm over here. And slightly tannin-y...

Matt
david-carradine-241x300.jpg

I'm having fun with it, Sam. Learning about new fish is cool.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Not exactly the eightfold path

Spent a couple hours in a meeting with him and some other folks about 15 years ago - fair to say that he wasn't altogether there. My guess is that he used the leather case in the picture to transport and safeguard his pharmaceutical investments.

dogofwar

CCA Members
The case might have been full of "pharmaceuticals"...but he used the straps for something else...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=7763422&page=1

Matt

PS Who's up for a collecting trip in Thailand...to re-stock Tony's tank, of course ;)

Spent a couple hours in a meeting with him and some other folks about 15 years ago - fair to say that he wasn't altogether there. My guess is that he used the leather case in the picture to transport and safeguard his pharmaceutical investments.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
The case might have been full of "pharmaceuticals"...but he used the straps for something else...

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=7763422&page=1

Matt

PS Who's up for a collecting trip in Thailand...to re-stock Tony's tank, of course ;)

Thailand is a bit too pricey. He can come to Peru with me next year and get fantastic SAs. Jurapari is something we always get. Lots of corys. tetras, and sucker mouths among others. Maybe a small electric eel? Anyone ever pet an electric eel? I have. No problem when they are calm. One of the cool things you could try if you come along.

George

Tony

You guys are too much, lol.

On Monday, I pulled out all the rock from the tank, caught the angelicus cat and threw him in the Malawi 125 in the fish room. I then pulled out all the mixed-color sand and did a big water change.

Added 1 bag of blond pool filter sand, along with one of the pieces of wood I got from Mike Hill, along with some anubias. I tossed in a bunch of Buenos Aires tetras I got from George from the ECC auction. How do you make big tetras look small? Throw them in a 150, lol.

Tank looks great, I think the large sailfin Ancistrus is loving live with the new wood and somewhat softer water.

I'll post up some shots or a video tonight.

Stocking this thing is going to be fun....

Davey_8313

Members
Sounds kind of like my tank. Ive got a big school of bn tetras, neons, glolight tetras, and lemon tetras in my 150. Along with a pair of ribs and Bolivian rams.

YSS

Members
So, what are you stocking your tank with? I can't keep track. By the way, get a lot cories. I have over 40 in my tank and I love having them.

Tony

So, what are you stocking your tank with? I can't keep track. By the way, get a lot cories. I have over 40 in my tank and I love having them.

So far (already in the tank)
-11x Buenos Aires tetras
-1x Sailfin Ancictrus ~7" (unsure of species, but probably full grown)

Picking up:
-10 x Juvenile Geophagus parnaibae (a smaller Geo)

Still thinking of adding a growout group of 4-5 of Satanoperca or heckeli perhaps. Still mulling it over. I'm really good at providing clean water; it's the soft/acidic water I'm concerned about....

Will end up adding a bunch of cories and another group of larger tetras down the road.