• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Restocking the 150

dogofwar

CCA Members
Eartheaters (or Geophagus, as Siena often corrects me) come in all shapes, sizes and temperments. Some get big enough to eat most tetras. Others stay smaller and aren't really interested.

One of the nicest is Acaricthys heckelii, which I think Rapps has now (and I've been craving). I also like the Red Head Tapajos and Guianacara...

Anyway, come over tonight and we can check out my 180 SA community for ideas.

Matt

Plenipotentiary-at-large
One of the nicest is Acaricthys heckelii, which I think Rapps has now (and I've been craving). I also like the Red Head Tapajos and Guianacara...Matt

I'll split an order for A. heckelli with you, already have the others but wouldn't mind a couple more Guinanacara.

chris_todd

Members
These threads are so much fun!

Tony, you stated in your original post that you didn't want a planted Discus tank, which would, of course, be what I recommend. :D Beyond Discus and Angels, I am not a CA/SA expert at all, so I won't make any suggestions.

I will say, however, that every time I've ever seen G. Altifrons I have lusted after them, and I would imagine using about 6 of them as your show fish, and filling the tank out with appropriate schooling fish and dwarf cichlids, with some big driftwood and a few swords and anubias, sounds like an awesome tank. At least, that's what I would do with an empty 150. :)

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Animal Houses

Yun had 6 altifrons in a 180 or 225 and they beat on each other and never spawned. I put a pair of them in a community 75 and they spawned and get along like A and B. Pairs are generally the natural order of things in the New World, all you polygamists out there notwithstanding - I mean how happy or tranquil would your life be if you had to live with five other adults in the same room with everyone trying to sleep with everyone else's sweetheart?

Seriously, all my angelfish and Central and South Americans cichlids seem much more content being left alone with whomever they pair off with (Apistos excluded), so it sort of comes down to whether you want a spectacle or a tankful of contented pairs that are much more likely to spawn. By all means rear up groups of juveniles, but once they self-select, a lot to be said for spreading or farming them out to other tanks and/or hobbyists.

Maybe I should say that conspecific aggression is the natural order of things - the antidote to that, isolation of pairs, seems pretty simple and obvious.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I had my altifrons (6 of them) in a 75 with some other fish once. That was when the altifrons were small. I moved them to a 270 and one of them was holding when I did. I just think a 150 is on the small side for a good group of altifrons. I do agree with Sam that pairing up seems the natural way with SA/CA fish but most of the people I have known with altifrons did keep them in a group.

I once brought 5 Acaricthys heckelii back from Peru. The last one died off after about 3 years. I never saw anything like spawning activity. These fish were reputed to be as sensetive to water quality as Discus. They seemed to be in my care. Missed water changes were noticeable in their behavior. In nature they supposedly apawn by burrowing in holes created by other fish such as big plecos. I have heard of them spawning in a more normal substrate way though. No doubt this is a very nice fish but it can be pricey and tough to keep. Go there cautiously.

George

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I know barbs are Asian and not SA, but a group of filamentosa barbs or denesoni (torpedo) would look great in a 150.

Davey_8313

Members
I know barbs are Asian and not SA, but a group of filamentosa barbs or denesoni (torpedo) would look great in a 150.

A nice group of denesoni barbs would be sweet. Mine jumped out of my community 150. I would go with the geos though as they are great fish.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I stopped by Matt Quinn's after work yesterday and spent some time becoming *slightly* more edumacated in the ways of Central/SA cichlids.

Like you said George, I saw the altifrons and they are unbelievably gorgeous. I would feel bed keeping them in an 18" tank though. They need a 180 or larger for sure.

So after peeking at some of his fish, I'm looking to do straight South American tank. Was thinking a group of smaller Geophagus, a pair of cool Acaras and a group of angels or severums as the main fare. If I can grab Mike's angels, that fills that slot. Besides them, I'd like to put in my Buenos Aires tetras along with another group of contrasting larger tetras. I'll hunt around to find a type of corydora I like and get a large group of them as well. A few larger species of plecos would round things out.

Beyond that, there may be room for a smaller pair of cichlids, but I haven't though that far along yet.

One thing I did notice at Matt's place (pertinent to this discussion) is that Geos move a LOT of substrate. I'm thinking that aquascaping will include a couple of large hunks of driftwood along with tied on plants... anubias, java moss or java fern, plus a couple of large potted plants - probably 1-2 neat swords.

I'll probably also add a couple of piles of rocks for the plecos to hide in if necessary.

Thoughts?

Tony

One more questions: I have mixed light and dark sand in there now. Was thinking of going to straight pool filter sand to give it a solid white/blond bottom, but concerned because it may to be too big a gradation.

Any other economical solutions for a finer-grade substrate? Am I over-thinking this?

Tony

What are folk's experience with Satanoperca jurapari? I've always thought they were really cool looking. Too large/active for the tank?

dogofwar

CCA Members
Jurapari-types would be a good fit, especially if you get a group as youngsters.

I've had pretty good luck with heckelii in Gaithersburg tap water. I started with a group of wild 2"-ers a couple of years ago in a 30g...and moved them up to the 150g SA Community when they got to about 4-5". They were every bit of 7-8" when the fire came... They do need clean water but not moreso than say Satanoperca, which are notorious for getting hole in the head easily...

Whatever you get, you should get some cool characins...

Matt

Tony

I guess I should take a step back and ask about water conditions. Do any of these guys require that you heavily doctor your water? Adding salt and baking soda for Africans is easy.

Collecting rainwater or RO/DI... and getting your pH down super low seems like a lot more effort.

Davey_8313

Members
I had a group of three Jurupari in a 150 with PFS and they loved it. They got along with everything in the tank also and they were about 3". Although I believe that mine were actually Leucosticta.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
While they would certainly be happy if you provided RO/DI water, it is not necessary for what you are considering. There are buffers that will lower the PH as needed, though many of us who are currently keeping SAs find they do perfectly well in tap water. Like your africans, water changes make the biggest difference.

Since you are considering Geos, I own a copy of Weidner's book: South American Eartheaters. You are certainly welcome to borrow it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
My only treatment for water is with driftwood in the tank...and ensuring that I'm NOT buffering with anything that would make it harder and/or more alkaline. Just plenty of water changes.

Andrew: Can I look at your book, too :D

Matt

While they would certainly be happy if you provided RO/DI water, it is not necessary for what you are considering. There are buffers that will lower the PH as needed, though many of us who are currently keeping SAs find they do perfectly well in tap water. Like your africans, water changes make the biggest difference.

Since you are considering Geos, I own a copy of Weidner's book: South American Eartheaters. You are certainly welcome to borrow it.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Water Treatment?

Hmm
LOL for me its......

My africans + add water and dechlor = fry
my Discus + add water adn dechlor = fry
angels + add water and dechlor = fry

Hmm. add dechlor and water = water treatment. LOL

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I think you should check out the threads on MFK by Japes. His tanks are simple and beautiful and his Geos are stunning! Seeing pics of his orange heads makes me want to get some.