• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

post your CENTRAL AMERICAN CICHLIDS here

SubMariner, I am from El Salvador. You know what the funny thing is? That we (America, USA) are dieing to have these fish as pets and down there people could care less for these fish, they actually eat them! Ever since I got into fish keeping I am always on the look out for these fish when I go and visit El Salvador. I sometimes think I should bring back my own fish, breed and sell, but the wife will never let me have such an elaborate fish room ( maybe when I get a bigger house).

dogofwar

CCA Members
Medium-sized central and south americans are my favorite. Not too big (gupotes) and not too small (Apistos and stuff) :)

"Convicts" were recently broken into a series of species...with significant differences among geographic varients even for a given species.

Here are some examples of the "wild" convicts that I keep:

1) Amatitlania siquia "Lago Nicaragua" F0 - really red and blue females
2) Amatitlania siquia "Lago Nicaragua" F0 - stately male
3) Amatitlania siquia "Rio Claro" F1 - silvery blue base color. Females turn black when spawning. This is a male arguing.
4) Amatitlania nigrofasciatus "Rio Choluteca" F1 - black and white convict...This is a female in breeding dress.

Some mostly REALLY bad pictures of each...

Matt

DCP_4536.jpg

DCP_4539.jpg

6aFish01062208.jpg

DCP_4658.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Cryptoheros spilrum - F1 "Rio Blanco" Gold

Here's a young breeding pair. They've grown since the picture. Note to self: epsom salt containers don't make good backgrounds for pictures :)

DCP_5005.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
Lemme know what you like - I've got offspring from most of this stuff (and more)...

First you'll keep a few central americans...next thing you know it will be all new world for you :)

Has anybody actually been to Central America? Wow, there are a lot of nice fish in C.A.

Thanx for sharing guys, keep it coming. As for me, I have 95% African Malawi and 5% South American. I think I'll some day make a transaction with Matt (DogofWar) to receive my first Central American.

Richard

"This is CCA Sparta!"
300_movie_image_gerard_butler-1.jpg

From the movie,"300."

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
SubMariner, I am from El Salvador. You know what the funny thing is? That we (America, USA) are dieing to have these fish as pets and down there people could care less for these fish, they actually eat them! Ever since I got into fish keeping I am always on the look out for these fish when I go and visit El Salvador. I sometimes think I should bring back my own fish, breed and sell, but the wife will never let me have such an elaborate fish room ( maybe when I get a bigger house).

Thanx Matt!

Hey CrazyClown, this is my favorite Central American Fish...oops, I mean dish.

Puposa.jpg

Richard

dogofwar

CCA Members
One from you, actually!

I think that the convict is frustrated because he doesn't understand what spots mean :)

Unfortunately, he (Ctenochromis horeii) killed both of his ladies...so now he's in a 125g with a bunch of larger fish. He's pushing 5-6" now. How big do they get? Have any extra ladies?

longstocking

Members
They only get to 6-7 inches.

I'm not keeping them anymore. I'll stay on the look out for ya though. I'm guessing you don't want to pay wild prices.

dogofwar

CCA Members
do you have either Archocentrus nanoluteus or Cryptoheros myrnae right now?

But of course I have both!

The myrnae are breeding as we speak. I sold all of their last batch except a single fish (now about 1.5") that somehow evaded me :)

The nanoluteus currently have a group of 1/2" fry.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
Microfiber cloths after you clean the glass seem to give it that *where did the glass go?* look. Gets rid of that streaky greasy look.

Of course you still need to do the first part.. CLEAN the glass... :eek:

just ask Sarah! She's a pro at it!! :cool:
I just started using this rainx stuff with microfiber and WOW! Micorfiber towels are $2 for two at walmart in the auto section and well worth it.

Lessons at my house are expensive, the February meeting is FREE!!
crazy I've been trying to get you to come to a meeting since Nov.

Has anybody actually been to Central America? Wow, there are a lot of nice fish in C.A.

Thanx for sharing guys, keep it coming. As for me, I have 95% African Malawi and 5% South American. I think I'll some day make a transaction with Matt (DogofWar) to receive my first Central American.

Richard
I didn't think I'd like the Ken Davis lecture on CA but ended up loving it and buying Yellow headed Loselli and Cutteri from him.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I borrowed a friends Sony a200 to give dslr a try. I'm far from being a pro but these are still better than my p&s. If anyone is interested in a Sony a300, Circuit City has them for $479 everyone else has them for $600. I remembered to clean the glass after these were taken.

When I noticed this girls colors I pulled her out of my flowerhorns tank. She managed to avoid being lunch for 2-3 weeks before I noticed her.

DSC02580-1.jpg

DSC02590-1.jpg

Her lover - he was a feeder in my oscar tank and managed to hide behind the background for 2 months. I drained the tank and found him 4x the size that he went in; I figure he earned the right to be a stud fish.

DSC02586-1.jpg

Another convict pair, I had a (White, Pink, Albino) female but the male decided her eyes looked tasty so this is his new girlfriend - she also hid for a couple of months in the oscar tank. I have a few hundred fry from the White/White pair. The male's fins get a nice bright powder blue when not in a bare bottom tank.

DSC02538-1.jpg

Cutteri - the male is not in breeding colors anymore but the female is somewhat. They've spawned once and have recently dug new pit's so I think the female is ready again. Here's a video of the female cutteri with her first brood
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202228

DSC02523-1.jpg

DSC02573-1.jpg

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02588.jpg

DSC02588_1-1.jpg

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202228

Last edited:

tash

Members
But of course I have both!

The myrnae are breeding as we speak. I sold all of their last batch except a single fish (now about 1.5") that somehow evaded me :)

The nanoluteus currently have a group of 1/2" fry.

turn your pms on ;)

I might be intrested in the nanoluteus if I can figure out how to set up a tank without getting a divorce :D
(is it werid to have a fishroom in the closet? :lol: )