• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond Overhaul

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Thanks for the compliments. Sadly the pond appears to be leaking. I have not been able to locate the point of water loss. I am hoping that it is high on an edge and not lower where it would impact the filter remaining under water.

Sent from my DROIDX

msjinkzd

invert junkie
What bout wind? If it gets gusty, could be blowing out from the fountain

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It was losing water before the fountain was added. I changed the fountain head to a bell shape to limit the risk of loss due to wind.

Sent from my DROIDX

JLW

CCA Members
The fountain may be adding to a lot of evapouration. The big thing, though, is you have a LOT of plants and the weather lately has been sunny and hot. Aside from the water literally just evapourating, you're getting a lot of transpiration to keep those plants cool (i.e., the plants are using much more water than normal). I have pots outside I water in the morning until they're completely soaked, and when I come home from work, the plants are drooping, the soil is dry and cracked ... They used that much water.

That's my guess, without looking at it. Liner leaks happen, but they're not as common as you would think. It's certainly possible that a rock got pushed down, that a sharp-clawed raccoon was hunting frogs, etc., but -- IME, it just doesn't happen all too often.

Assuming it isn't just evapouration, I would stop filling the pond and let it continue to drop. That'll pinpoint the level of any possible leaks. Hopefully it's along the side and not in the bottom. ;) In the meanwhile, check all your plumbing and such, too -- 90% of real leaks in a pond occur in a cracked piece of pipe or tubing (usually located under an incredibly heavy rock that you don't want to move, waah! :p). I've had a number of pond clients with ponds that were apparently leaking at the very bottom of the liner, only to discover that it was the line running to the filter that was leaking. The check for this is to turn the filter off for a day or two and see if that changes the leak rate. (Obviously, use caution if there are a lot of fish in there).

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Assuming it isn't just evapouration, I would stop filling the pond and let it continue to drop. That'll pinpoint the level of any possible leaks.

I am not sure if you were looking at the current pic or not, but there are now only five small baskets of plants in the pond. They were added after the discovery that the water level was dropping significantly. The baskets are filled with gravel, so I know it is not media that absorbed the water.

I unplugged the filter for a couple of days (it is an all-in-one internal filter, so no chance of pipes connecting being the cause). The water level did not seem to drop lower. I lowered the filter (it was at risk of running dry) and plugged it back in. I am hopeful that (if it is a leak), it is above the current water line. I do believe it is a leak, as the building manager told me that in the past, he would have to add significant amounts of water every two days.