• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pond Overhaul

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I spent about an hour digging out the cord to the filter, only to find that the filter is shot. No magnetic pull on the impeller at all. IN actually entering the water, I found that there were in fact pots that the plants were originally placed in. The plants have grown out of the pots and the rhizome is everywhere! What I thought was mud is actually fine particles of leaf litter. I filled three trash bags with plant stems and roots, but you can barely see the difference. I am going to persuade my principal that the pond needs to be drained in order to effectively clean out the mass of roots growing below the surface.

I would truly appreciate any help that my CCA family is willing to offer. The building will be open on April 28th for a flea market, so that is the day I am planning on working on the pond. My school (Washington Grove) is Title One, meaning that we have a high level of poverty and therefore money is hard to come by. This rules out replacing the pond entirely, as well as paying for a company to do the job. If needed, I will look into high school volunteers and/or scouts to help.

Below are some pictures showing the courtyard from two sides as well as the pond after the work I put in today. You can barely see the difference.

2012-04-19_18-35-51_59 (1).jpg

2012-04-19_18-36-08_348.jpg

2012-04-19_18-35-38_445.jpg

2012-04-19_18-35-04_693.jpg

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
A new filter has been ordered and us on the way. I will have a sump pump to drain the pond (got permission). This should make cutting and removal of the plants much easier. I would be happy to have help on Saturday morning if anyone wants to volunteer. The school is Washington Grove. It is in Gaithersburg.

Sent from my DROIDX

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Hey guys,

Meeting Andrew at the school tomorrow at 9:00 to commence plant removal. Anyone who has a bit of time and is in the area, please swing by for a bit. Judging from Andrew's posts, it wont be easy work, but will be easier with a few more hands and we are planning on having some fun.

Seriously, when's the last time you got to play in the mud? :)

Good things to bring would be rubber boots or waders (or junky shoes), gloves, hand cutters or long-handled loppers. Andrew has trash bags.

Probably not going to finish tomorrow, but hoping to make some real progress.

The school's address is:
Washington Grove ES
8712 Oakmont Street
Gaithersburg, MD 20877

Thanks in advance. Hope to see a couple of you tomorrow.

Cheers.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Thanks to Tony's donation of time and muscle, we were able to drain the pond and clear most of it. Great company +great cause = time well spent.

Sent from my DROIDX

msjinkzd

invert junkie
Way to go! What did you do with all the pond plants you tore out? Did you consider craigslisting them for a little cash for replacement plants or equipment for the school?

Can't wait to se how this goes. I am in teh process of working on our little pond too. It is a learning curve.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Way to go! What did you do with all the pond plants you tore out? Did you consider craigslisting them for a little cash for replacement plants or equipment for the school?

Can't wait to se how this goes. I am in teh process of working on our little pond too. It is a learning curve.

Tony took a few for his water garden. We saved the ones that looked contained within the pots. Other than the area we did not get to, the rest of the plants were dumped in the wooded area behind the school.

Sent from my DROIDX

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Here's sort of a before, during and after.

I'm still sore, lol.

524101_3129899453716_1451612197_32226241_257287541_n.jpg

535988_3129895893627_1451612197_32226240_524696797_n.jpg

545924_3129907493917_1451612197_32226245_1025730033_n.jpg