• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Plecos and Africans

bdmminer

Members
I have a rubber lips and a leopard pleco in with my lake Malawi cichlids and I was just rethinking if I should have got a bristle nose instead any ideas or am I ok with what I have?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

verbal

CCA Members
The rubbernose pleco is a little more picky about water conditions that your average pleco and likes a temperature at the lower end of tropical. However it isn't a bad choice if the tankmates don't harass it.

The leopard pleco assuming it is a sailfin pleco will be more problematic. It should get to a size where it will not be harassed, but I think it will make keeping the water quality high difficult.

Shane

Members
but not the large fin to accompany it.

That is because the cichlids have clearly eaten the poor fish's fins off. You Chaetostoma will fair even worse. The need cool water with very high O2 levels and can be very finicky eaters even in a species tank. They will certainly starve to death competing with aggressive cichlids.

Please do not mix Rift Lake cichlids and loricariids.

-Shane