• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Painting a Tank Back

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I want to have a background on my new 40 gallon breeder to hide wires. What is the best paint to use? Should in brush on or should I tape off and then spray it?

Any thoughts on how this looks or if this is better than taping one on instead?

FishEggs

If you're gonna paint the back i suggest roller over spray. It will probably still take a few coats but not as many as spraying and don't have to worry about over spray getting every where. Definitely looks better than taping a back on but if you apply it wet like window tint it can look just as good IMHO. If you paint the back look at it with a light behind it to see any thin spots that may have been missed.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I don't have a light source behind the tank. This will strictly be for hiding wires. I want something a little cleaner looking this time around.

chriscoli

Administrator
I've even painted tank backs the same color as the wall behind it. makes it really blend in if that's what you want.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I use regular latex. I have brushed, rolled, and sprayed. I prefer small sponge rollers.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Oh. It may not look perfect on the outside but looks great once you have the light on the tank.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yeah. As long as that first coat is fairly uniform, it should look fine I would think. It should be like painting a wall, right? Should I clean it with vinegar first to remove any oils and such?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I used a small foam roller for the last tank I painted. My biggest issue was trying no to scratch the paint moving the tank around afterwards. I did not do any real prep work and it seemed to work out fine, but Pat and Christine have painted way more tanks than I have.

chriscoli

Administrator
it's probably best if you clean it first with a little windex or similar...but I often cheat and don't worry about it. Every now and then I get a tank where the paint beads up in a spot and I wish I cleaned it. :)

also, consider dark brown....I used to paint my tanks black, but prefer dark brown now.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I was thinking a navy/darker blue like what Pat did. That looked pretty good. Although, dark brown would be nice as well. We'll see what lowes has and I'll have them mix me a sample size. I should already have the right rollers for the job.

chriscoli

Administrator
sounds good. I use the small cans of latex rust-oleum that are premixed. There's one that's dark chocolate brown.

jmessineo1

Members
I use Plasti dip for all of mine, I just painted the tank i got from you. You spray it on it makes a water proof plastic layer that can be peeled right off if you decide to change colors or sell, or for any reason you choose. Highly recommend!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
According to the Plasti Dip website, it comes in a variety of colors, including several shades of blue. You might have to order it online, but it is available if that is the route you decide to go.

Becca

Members
I like Plastidip spray. I've used a variety of different paints and I get the best, most even coat out of that, plus if I decide I hate it, it kind of peels off, if you do it carefully.

abcdefghi

Members
My biggest issue was trying no to scratch the paint moving the tank around afterwards.

I painted the back of my tank recently, looked great, then I somehow managed to scrape it a little with dropping a filter hose down the back (not a huge amount of room behind it and the wall, I suspect a shut off valve dug into the paint). So now I have this area about 2" in diameter with no paint on it. What's doubly annoying is it is just out of reach from the top or the side to be able to reach in there with a brush and fix it. I am hoping that the plants will eventually grow over that area enough that I don't see it.

Also, if you need to buy paint. Go get some mismatch paint from Lowes. I paid $2 for a quart of dark grey paint, but I believe that they will mix it to black for free.