• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

October is CCA Board of Directors Election Month

jonclark96

Past CCA President
CCA:

Each October, the club elects a new Board of Directors to serve the club for the upcoming year. It is a great opportunity to be part of the planning and execution of club activities and to give back to the club. The CCA is a 100% volunteer organization, and we are in need of some new folks to come forward and be a part of the club's leadership. There are 5 named positions and 4 at-large positions up for election. Details of the positions on the BOD can be found on the forum.

There are several current board members who will not be running for re-election, so we are in definite need. We are especially looking for someone to step forward and be willing to take over the treasurer duties, a position the Jim Peck has done a great job with for the past several years. Jim is willing to work hand in hand this year with the new treasurer to make sure the transition is as easy as possible.

Greg O'Neil ( Tangcollector Tangcollector ) has volunteered to be our elections coordinator again this year (Thanks Greg!). If you are interested in running for a position on the BOD, please send Greg a PM indicating your intention to run for election. Also, if you'd like to nominate others for a position, please send those nominations to Greg as well. The nomination period will run for one week, closing on Sunday, September 18th. After the nomination period is ended, Greg will check with each of the nominees to see if they are willing to accept the nomination, then each nominee will post up a short write up about them and why they'd like to be a part of the BOD.

Elections will be held in person at the October meeting, and results will be announced at the meeting. You must be present at the meeting to vote. Each dues paying member receives one ballot for the election, and will vote for each of the 9 available positions. Family memberships will receive two ballots.

If anyone has any questions about the election process or what it entails to be a part of the BOD, please feel free to post a question here, shoot me a PM, or contact any of the current BOD members.

The CCA is a great organization and great people. We need a few new faces to come forward to help lead the club. This is your opportunity!

Thanks,
Jon Clark
CCA President

chriscoli

Administrator
We really need some new faces on the board, please please PLEASE don't hesitate to volunteer or encourage someone to give it a try.

Tangcollector

Staff member
This club offers a superabundance of resources available to all members, including but not limited to information, lots of fish that are hard to get or prohibitively expensive elsewhere, access to great vendors for all types of food and equipment, Batfish, Rachel O’Leary, and members who are breeders of fish and food. All of us are fortuitous beneficiaries of all these opportunities. The people on the Board have worked tirelessly to keep this Club going forward. These elections and nominations are the time to give back. Please nominate yourself or someone else to take over and assist in some of these chores. I await your nominations.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I want to get involved, but I want to attend more than one meeting before I throw my hat in the ring. Maybe next year. I need to network with you folks more before I decide to take on a position.

JLW

CCA Members
As always, I am happy to help out in any shape, manner or form that I can. Just ask! :) However, unfortunately, I can't serve on the board as its a conflict of interest and technical violation of bylaws.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Once I pay my dues, who should I contact to get plugged in? Also, for those wondering, I was the dude with the big red beard sitting on the far side of the room. I got some nice moss in the auction and stopped bidding early on the white calvus. I will have a group of those eventually, by the way. I love the looks of those fish!

Tangcollector

Staff member
OK folks
You have one more day to nominate yourself or someone else for a BOD position. Please step up and help the folks that have been doing all the work for a long time. Let 's get some new blood in here and help these people out.

Tangcollector

Staff member
All,
I have sent out some nomination requests and have not gotten back all of the acceptances or declines. Please check your PM's and get back to me so I can finalize the ballots. Also we need more nominations for VP and Treasurer as all the nominees have declined. Please step up and help. We have some new people on the ballot this year so it will be exciting to see new people on the BOD but we still need help at these positions.
Thanks

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Folks

This is your opportunity to help the club out. We have 2 openings with no nominees. Please consider stepping up.

Tangcollector

Staff member
Here are the nominations for the Board of Directors.
I want to thank all who stepped up and nominated and those who accepted.
If you can, we need all the nominees to tell everyone a little bit about themselves and there experiences with the hobby.
We have some new names on here and I think that is awesome. ( give Christine and Jon a break as they have done such a great job over the two years I have been in this club.)
Also thanks to Jon and Christine for helping me with the election process this year.

President---Matt Quinn
VP-- Mike O'Shea
Treasurer-- Manuel Moro
Recording Secretary-- Shawn Leffler
Corresponding Secretary-- Victor Almeida
Member at Large---Christine Keys
Jon Clarke
Will Wiles
Abe Siegel ( Abby)

We will see everyone on Saturday

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Jon,

I will be traveling this weekend and cannot make the meeting, unfortunately. Here's a little bio.

I've kept fresh water tropical fish since 1975 (yikes!). My first and favorite cichlids were angel's, and have have them in almost every community tank I've had. Got really interested in cichlids about 5 years ago, was informed of the CCA by the sales staff at Congressional Aquarium, and have been a member of CCA ever since. I have two tanks (limited by my significant other), a 55 set up with Malawi Mbuna and a 45 with soft water fish including angles (of course), rainbow cichlids, festivums and a couple of cory's. Just about all the fish in my tanks have come from club members and usually obtained during the monthly meeting auctions, members selling their stock or the annual meeting. CCA rocks.

xny89

Administrator
Staff member
Jon,

I will be traveling this weekend and cannot make the meeting, unfortunately. Here's a little bio.

I've kept fresh water tropical fish since 1975 (yikes!). My first and favorite cichlids were angel's, and have have them in almost every community tank I've had. Got really interested in cichlids about 5 years ago, was informed of the CCA by the sales staff at Congressional Aquarium, and have been a member of CCA ever since. I have two tanks (limited by my significant other), a 55 set up with Malawi Mbuna and a 45 with soft water fish including angles (of course), rainbow cichlids, festivums and a couple of cory's. Just about all the fish in my tanks have come from club members and usually obtained during the monthly meeting auctions, members selling their stock or the annual meeting. CCA rocks.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm Matt Quinn and I'm honored to be nominated for President of CCA.

I've been a member of CCA since my family and I moved to the DC area in 2007 and have been involved in aquarium clubs since I was a kid in the 1980's. I currently maintain a fishroom of about 50 tanks of mostly medium-sized New World cichlids, many that I collected myself in Uruguay.

After prior stints as CCA's VP, Board Member at Large and Chair of the first two Aquamania / Big Fish Deal's, I feel like it's time to step up and support the club as President.

I'll need help from the rest of the club - not just the Board - in accomplishing the following priorities:
1) Run a successful Big Fish Deal in March 2017
2) Increase membership, member attendance of meetings, participation on the forum and Facebook page and member involvement in the club - Our club is what WE make of it!
3) Smoothly transition and assign club duties to ensure continued fiscal strength, strong governance and continuity of benefits for the club and its members

Something that makes me proud to be a CCA member is the way that our members assist other members, fishkeepers and positive causes like the Babes in the Cichlid Hobby and the ACA's research and conservation funds. I'd like CCA to remain a shining example of why fish clubs are a force for good - for our members and the broader fishkeeping community.

Thanks,
Matt

MHMoro

CCA Members
My name is Manuel Moro and I have been nominated for the Treasurer position. I joined CCA in 2009 and have previously helped our organization at several events (ACA 2011, Aquamania 1, 2 and 3). I will like to continue my contribution to our beloved CCA club, this time serving as treasurer. If elected I plan, among other things, to have semiannual budget reports presented at CCA club meetings and continue to be open to ideas/new initiatives for CCA.

]I have 22 tanks at home with a wide array of cichlid species. I am also member of PVAS and GWAPA. In my professional life I am a veterinarian-scientist working at the NIH.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
My name is Michael O'Shea and I am running for the position of Vice President. I joined CCA about 7 years ago, and have served on the Board of Directors as a member at large several years. I helped where I could when we hosted the ACA, and I organize the Rare Fish Auction for the BFD events, as well as group buys. I'm looking forward to helping CCA grow as a community and supporting local events from some of our sister clubs. I recently scaled back my fishroom, but I still maintain about 20 tanks of various species, mostly cichlids.