• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New tanks finally came

Jt731

Members
If you want to, you could bring it up here and i can give you a hand with it. I have chisels, mauls, cutting wheels and hammer drills to use.

I might take you up with that. Problem is I am stupid busy right now. I ordered this because I spent last week in California for work and my ex is traveling and leaving my brood with me for the next week and a half.

Termato

Board of Directors
Not entirely happy with rock formation on right, but I have rock now

I think it looks really nice! Maybe move that far little rock on the right closer to the formation? Beautiful fish.

What about the other tank? ;)

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
Not entirely happy with rock formation on right, but I have rock now

Look at Iwagumi-style tanks, but without the plants.

From Wikipedia:

The Iwagumi style is a specific subtype of the nature style. The Iwagumi term itself comes from the Japanese "rock formation" and refers to a layout where stones play a leading role. In the Iwagumi style, each stone has a name and a specific role. Rocks provide the bony structure of the aquascape and the typical geometry employs a design with three main stones, with one larger stone and two other smaller stones, although additional rocks can also be used. The Oyaishi, or main stone, is placed slightly off-center in the tank, and Soeishi, or accompanying stones, are grouped near it, while Fukuseki, or secondary stones, are arranged in subordinate positions. The location of the focal point of the display, determined largely by the asymmetric placement of the Oyaishi, is considered important, and follows ratios that reflect Pythagorean tuning.

Blaise

Jt731

Members
Hehe that's even seiryu stone in that tank.

Here's the other tank right now. Note, all the plants from my 40 breeder did not transition at all to my new tank. The Anubis toward the bottom is where the old was. Right now it's just Anubis and repens to start carpeting before I decide where else to expand. Under the black side is an inch of dirt.

There's about thirteen species of rainbow fish in that tank. There's some cories and prokelitia too.

image.jpg

Jt731

Members
Aquascaping layout material was the company, I ordered a generic 50 pounds off amazon to avoid their eBay shipping costs and they shipped it priority. On their eBay site they have specific formations, but you pay a lot on shipping.

40 had the same as the new tank, miracle grow as dirt and the same brand of sand for the cap.

b considine

Should have been clearer: what PLANTS are in the soil?

My 65 is mineralized topsoil capped with Colorquartz S grade.

Leffler817

CCA Members
I like both tanks. Although I'd change the rock work just slightly and move the sponge filter behind the driftwood. Nonetheless, very nice!

Jt731

Members
That's staurygene repens in the soil.

Agree on the sponge. I haven't moved my aelita over yet so just had something temporary to hook up. I keep playing with that rockwork, any suggestions?

Leffler817

CCA Members
It's hard to see because the super red(?) is in the way. But I'd play with the height of the rock piles. It almost looks like the two middle piles are the same height. I'd remove the rock near the intake and use it on the largest pile to go up higher. Scoot the two bigger piles to the right. This will offset the largest pile from the center. Then space out the left side a little but keep the height of that small pile. Maybe that'll work???

lots of ppl say one benefit of glass is its harder to scratch than acrylic. But i was talking to by buddy who did lots of acrylic downtown at some museums. He said its easy to wet sand and buff out scratches on acrylic!! So don't freak out of u put some scratches on it, u can always fix surface imperfections =]

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Typically, acrylic is lighter and provides a clearer view of the tank than glass. As stated above, glass is more scratch resistant, and to an extend, less costly. Both have their pros and cons.

Jt731

Members
For me I wanted show tanks and was willing to pay for it. So once I started looking into low-e or low iron glass with the size I wanted going to acrylic wasn't that much of a higher price point.

I picked up the box each came in with one arm. It's light. It's really clear. Google removing scratches from aquariums and see how long the section on glass is versus acrylic. Acrylic seams are nicer. No lines of caulk. No frame. Drilling acrylic is also easier.

Plenty of my tanks are dollar per gallon from petco. They hold water just like my acrylics.

Jt731

Members
Hrmmmm. Well, I'm calling the formation on the right the frog and there's something about the formation on the left but man do the fish like the swim though.

image.jpg

b considine

I think your issue with the formation on the left might be that it's too symmetrical and not a whole lot larger than the frog. Or, scootch the whole pile slightly closer to the side of the tank.

What you're aiming for is that the eye moves from the upper part of the big pile over and down to the frog. Right now, your eye moves more left to right.

Hardscaping-21.jpg

Blaise