• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 55 Discus tank

bossanova

Members
They’re wonderful. I’m pretty sure they were 3 males and one of them didn’t make it but these 2 are relatively mild mannered and the big one barely chases the smaller one on occasion. They’re great with the Discus. I think keeping low numbers is key to success because they can’t hog all the food.
I spoke too soon… these 2 males are now going at it, I guess the sub decided he wasn’t gonna take it anymore :) one of them has to go, C christina do you want him back? Free of course. Otherwise I may try and trade him into dale at londontowne

bossanova

Members
Here’s to the end of an era, and new beginnings! I restocked the tank with 11 leopards from Miranda at Chicago Discus. Can’t recommend her enough, btw. Moved all previous cichlids to a fantastic new home. Here are the new kids!!

bossanova

Members
How often do you clean the tank and change the water?
50-75% at least 3-4x/wk. they’re growing so I’m feeding at least 4x/day

C CichlidDan theyre learning. Got wigglers today. No way they make it past that in DC tap water I don’t think… was I tempted for a split second to get RO and turn my house into a discus farm? Of course I was.

Last edited:

bossanova

Members
50-75% at least 3-4x/wk. they’re growing so I’m feeding at least 4x/day

C CichlidDan theyre learning. Got wigglers today. No way they make it past that in DC tap water I don’t think… was I tempted for a split second to get RO and turn my house into a discus farm? Of course I was.
lock jaw lock jaw there’s no way around the WC schedule. A wise man once told me “with discus you will change at least 50% 3x per week or expect problems.” I usually do more than that. Haven’t had a sick fish in years. My losses were all “natural causes.”

lock jaw

CCA Members
lock jaw lock jaw there’s no way around the WC schedule. A wise man once told me “with discus you will change at least 50% 3x per week or expect problems.” I usually do more than that. Haven’t had a sick fish in years. My losses were all “natural causes.”
Yea I hear you. I have a 180 to setup and had thoughts about adding discus to it. They do look great but I can't keep up with all the water changes, I am a bit lazy about it. Maybe one day when I cut down on number of tanks in the fish room.

bossanova

Members
Yea I hear you. I have a 180 to setup and had thoughts about adding discus to it. They do look great but I can't keep up with all the water changes, I am a bit lazy about it. Maybe one day when I cut down on number of tanks in the fish room.
Smart move. I have 2 tanks total, and the other one is a 22. Works for me!

bossanova

Members
Here’s another update. Tank is now running like clockwork, minimal attention required, all things considered and compared to the beginning.