• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 55 Discus tank

Becca

Members
TEFE....

Ultimately, 5 might be a bit much for a 55 gallon, as they get larger. We have leopard snakeskins and tefes from hans (no checkerboards). In our tank at least, which is heavily planted with a dark substrate and lots of lighting, the snakeskins look phenomenal. The tefes are also lovely, but more subdued. Our favorites turned out to be the dark angels, which look completely different in a mature tank than they do on display at Hans' shop.

dhavalsp

Members
Have you considered Pigeon leopards that Hans has? they look pretty nice....Personally, I prefer red turqs or red scriblet..they both look good as a group..

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Nice looking tank! I'm thinking about taking the dive into discus again, would be through Hans of course. I'm partial to the snakeskin, but its a personal choice. You might think you made up your mind, but then see something different when you get there that calls your name. Can't go wrong with anything from him though.

bossanova

Members
TEFE....

Ultimately, 5 might be a bit much for a 55 gallon, as they get larger. We have leopard snakeskins and tefes from hans (no checkerboards). In our tank at least, which is heavily planted with a dark substrate and lots of lighting, the snakeskins look phenomenal. The tefes are also lovely, but more subdued. Our favorites turned out to be the dark angels, which look completely different in a mature tank than they do on display at Hans' shop.
pics, please!!! I'm pretty set on 5 as a good number for the tank, only with the tetras and corys as mates. will keep everyone posted.

Thai

Members
I have 5 in my 75 and and they have plenty of room, I think your 55 will be fine. These are my Penang eruption from Kennys discus, can't say enough good things about his company.

IMG_4661.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

Becca

Members
pics, please!!! I'm pretty set on 5 as a good number for the tank, only with the tetras and corys as mates. will keep everyone posted.
I'll see about uploading some tonight. I am lousy at fish pics. We have quite a few of Hans' fish in a 210... I actually can't recall how many...

dhavalsp

Members
I've considered all of them, haha. change my mind almost daily...

I know what you mean...I actually changed my mind and got a mix group on the very last minute, I had been planning all red turq tank for 2 months and then on the day of purchase ended up getting something else.....

bossanova

Members
I know what you mean...I actually changed my mind and got a mix group on the very last minute, I had been planning all red turq tank for 2 months and then on the day of purchase ended up getting something else.....
Yup, very likely to happen to me as well. I really want to go single strain, and after seeing the pics above it's back to leopard snakeskins for me (original idea)..!

Becca

Members
Yeahhhhhh.... My pictures are terrible
But here's the leopard snakeskin looking mad because I walked over and held up a camera instead of more food. The Discus will bite me and splash water out of the tank at feeding time.

20170427_204750.jpg