• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New 55 Discus tank

bossanova

Members
October is here

m2s5B7F.jpg

gAHHUHQ.jpg

bossanova

Members
Hey folks! This is the 1 Year Update! Super excited I made it. I always felt Discus would be a huge challenge, as I tried and failed once about 20 years ago...

Of course, it was thanks to folks here and elsewhere giving me sound advice, and getting great fish from Hans really helped too.

The 4 Leopard SS were 3in a year ago, they’re over 6in now. The other 3 were added just a couple of months back at 3in. 2 are CBs and the last one is a dark angel. I’ve lost or rehomed 3 fish in the past year, so it’s not a perfect batting average but I’ll take it. So, thanks to all for the encouragement!

Becca

Members
What is your feeding and maintenance routine like? They look great. Discus will never give you a perfect batting average because they are so good at stressing each other to death :-/.

bossanova

Members
What is your feeding and maintenance routine like? They look great. Discus will never give you a perfect batting average because they are so good at stressing each other to death :-/.
Thanks! I do 50% + WCs almost every day, straight from tap using a python. 1/4 tsp of Safe and that's it. I feed the Hans frozen food almost exclusively, they are voracious eaters.

I've lost 3, one of my original LSS got caught between the heater and glass (lesson learned), another died mysteriously overnight. The 3rd was a Tefe from the second batch who I think got bullied. These 7 seem perfectly happy and healthy, so fingers crossed! Not planning on making any changes this year.

b considine

a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude
I agree with everyone else that the fish look great. And I envy your maintenance routine.

I have to wonder though, especially with your comment above about one possibly being bullied and one having died between the side and the heater, whether they've outgrown the 55? If "no", might they need more hardscape to break up the space, so the fish lower in the pecking order can have a place to chill?

I'm simply speculating aloud here. I've never kept discus.

Blaise