• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need lots of fry or feeder care receipe

mscichlid

Founder
Anyone using feeders? If so, how do you treat them before you feed them to your fish.

I would rather get as many fry as I can from hobbyist and raise them to feeder size. Anyone got lots of fry they want to get rid of?

Jumbie

Members
LOL Francine talking about using fry as feeders, I was suppose to use my Convict fry for the BAP program buttttt...lol...I had to pump them with some bacterial fish medicine and then feed them to one of my pikes. FYI it worked out very well for the pike he was back to 100% in a few days. Now for the BAP I know there would be another batch coming soon so I could keep a few and and could have the rest.

My feeders are in a 20 gallon with a aquaclear 500 and seacem. I put in melafix every couple of days. So far so good. My big boy is eating atleast 10-15 feeders a day. Well last night I had to rescue my firemouth, the bass had him in his mouth! That was 15 minutes after he ate 7 feeders WTF!!!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Best home grown feeders I've ever had are saratherodon mossambicus - red tilapia

a colony of a male and 3-4 females can produce tons of babies. They're mouthbrooders and quite attractive...and really productive

anyone know where to get some?

I also used to get goldfish out of my pond - I had tons of babies every year

worms are also good;)

mscichlid

Founder
Goldfish fry would be the ultimate. What time of the year do they spawn so that I can put out requests to folks who have ponds?

mscichlid

Founder
Woooo! I found this place where I can buy 250-300 flathead minnows for $13.50 plus shipping. Searched around and found out they are easy to breed as well.

Has anyone tried this?

Of course 300 flatheads would be a bit much for my setup, so I could share with about 4-5 people.

Last edited:

Sonny Disposition

I don't know if there are any left in Florida or not.

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.asp?speciesID=466

Best home grown feeders I've ever had are saratherodon mossambicus - red tilapia

a colony of a male and 3-4 females can produce tons of babies. They're mouthbrooders and quite attractive...and really productive

anyone know where to get some?

I also used to get goldfish out of my pond - I had tons of babies every year

worms are also good;)

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd figure that minnows come with their own potential disease issues...

Bob - do rosy reds breed easily?

Matt

longstocking

Members
I just use shrimp from my own tanks. See, I have pleco tanks and for the top I use shrimp. This helps keep them fat and I have feeders for my tangs. I have about 3 tanks full of reds and one with whites. I don't do anything... just net and feed ;)

I don't like using cichlids as feeders... the reason is one seems to always survive then I have net them out when they get too big. I used to use guppies but I like shrimp better. As if they do survive for some reason.... it's no biggy, they can stay there.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Red mossambique tilapia... Or the wild type black ones.. Are great.

Anyone seen them on a list lately?

As unusual as they are these days I guess one shouldn't use them as feeders!

Matt