• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Diy Background

maddog10

Members
ok... how do you make sure the compartment gets enough circulation?[/b]

I have not ever done one of these, but I would put it near the intake (or return) pipe so that water is always passing around it. Probably the intake side would work better.

SteelFist

Members
I have 2 visotherm stealths. Both are submerged along the bottom sides of the tank :) They're not part of the BG. I didn't want to create a compartment behind the BG because I would have had to sacrifice more tank space. I wasn't sacrificing anymore than 2". Most DIY BG's I've read about have compartments in the back to hide the filters and heaters though.

tash

Members
.....1) Styrofoam. (If tank space is important to you, then you can use 2 thick sheets from Home Depot if youd like. If youre careful with the knives, you can carve shapes that stand out.) .....[/b]

ok... this says Home Depot right? I went there today and the stuff they had didn't look like what you have.... is there something I missed?

SteelFist

Members
<div class='quotemain'>.....1) Styrofoam. (If tank space is important to you, then you can use 2 thick sheets from Home Depot if youd like. If youre careful with the knives, you can carve shapes that stand out.) .....[/b]

ok... this says Home Depot right? I went there today and the stuff they had didn't look like what you have.... is there something I missed?
[/b][/quote]

Mine was sold as a sheet; 8' long, 2' high and 2-inches thick. I had to cut it to fit in my car..lol. It was in the insulation section (building materials) of the HD in Silver Spring off of Randolf Rd. It was taped up on one side with a blue label that said "Polar" something. It looks different on the shelf but as long as its made of Styro you're fine.