• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Jack Dempsey Fry!

I pulled the mom after about a week for my geos. When they would try and go back to her mouth, not all would fit.

I actually bput some apistos with my fry now, they weren't eating so I thought maby they would munch the fry. Suprisingly they left the fry alone, and seem to be benifitin their presence. They are eating flakes now. Weirddd

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I think pulling the female 2-3 days would be fine. I usually pull wigglers and let them grow without the parents and most seem to do okay. I have noticed that if I pull some of the wigglers and leave some with the parents, the fry with the parents seem to grow faster at first. Maybe pull a portion of the clutch and leave some with the female to see what works best. If there aren't any other fish in the tank, I wouldn't be worried about the female eating the fry for some time.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I left the plecos because the male is guarding his own eggs right now, so there is no need to be concerned about him leaving the cave. The female is only one distraction for mom, and no fry have disappeared, so I assume that all will be well. I guess I can leave them with her until the weekend or maybe a little longer. I just don't want to see the numbers drop again.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I left the plecos because the male is guarding his own eggs right now, so there is no need to be concerned about him leaving the cave. The female is only one distraction for mom, and no fry have disappeared, so I assume that all will be well. I guess I can leave them with her until the weekend or maybe a little longer. I just don't want to see the numbers drop again.

Give her space or a routine(feeding I usually softly tap the top and they all learn that I'm going to feed them and get used to me)
Don't try it now it will stress her out. But feed every morning and night at the same Time.

Jon I've notice most fry will pick at the parents I don't know if it's for food?????? Could that be why thy grow faster?

My Red tiger motaguense actually make a mess when I feed.....cuz the parents chew and spit out food for fry in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Yes, the parents will "chew" the food and push it out their gills to feed the fry. Very typical for bigger cichlids. I have observed this plenty of times. Hopefully she doesn't eat them. I'm going to leave them with her just a little while longer.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Fry are doing well so far. Selling one of my fully grown blue gene carrier females if anyone is interested. See my post in the marketplace.

I'll keep you all update on the fry. I will probably pull mom this weekend or mid next week, depending on how the fry are doing.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I have frozen, but will start them with live brine shrimp this weekend. They are just now starting to eat on their own.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
So I'm down to about 1/2 - 1/4 of the original fry. They have been slowly declining in number. She keeps trying to move them, but by herself, it seems like a big task. I'm not sure what to do. If I take her out, will they survive?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
Okay. So the fry are down to 8, but out of those 8, 7 look to be survivable size. I have a new (but good) problem. I had moved the male to the other 75 which was housing my other females. He has just laid eggs with her. So here's my current stocking. I need to get this figured out fast.

75 Gallon Front Room Tank:

Female Adult Jack Dempsey
Jack Dempsey Fry
2 Bristlenose Plecos

30 Gallon Front Room:

10 Bristlenose Fry

75 Gallon Dining Room:

Male and Female Jack Dempsey Adult
Eggs
2 Bristlenose Plecos
10 Large Tiger Barbs

The tiger barbs will eat the fry, or the Jacks will kill them for trying. I can't keep the male Jack in there forever because he is a fry eater. The barbs will kill the growing fry in the Front Room 75, and may kill the pleco grow outs in the 30. HELP!

My thoughts are to move the Jack Dempsey fry into the 30 gallon. Move the male and the tiger barbs to the Front Room 75 and leave the plecos.

Thoughts?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
IMG_0440_zpsxfynxtf2.jpg

Here's a pic of the fry, by the way...

jonclark96

Past CCA President
The JD fry and the pleco fry will be fine together.

If you don't want more breeding, you could try keeping the 2 females in one tank and the male in the other.

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
I don't mind the breeding. I want to try to save the highest number of fry possible to give me the best chance at EBJD's. These are Blue Gene Carriers.

Hawkman2000

Members
The pair that Dankdabe has now was mine at one time. They spawned like crazy for me. So much that I ended up giving more than 300 away. Thats actually why I sold them. I couldnt keep up with the spawning.

Not once did I see them eat any of them. Even after they grew to be juvies. The would just spawn again with a ton of juvies in the tank.

Perhaps it was the food, or the water quality.

I think it could also be that the parents will kill/eat one that they have detected deformities in. I do know that the male was wild caught and the female was from wallys so not inbreeding could be a factor.

I wonder if the parents detect the EB ones, or even EBg ones as deformed?

CSnyder00

Bearded Wonder
The young are not deformed. The parents are easily spooked and are fry eaters. I can't win with either pair. I think the father is the culprit, but it happens so fast and I think the mother contributes just as much. I will spawn them one more time and pull the parents as soon as I see he fry swimming. No more waiting. I still don't think I am getting EBJD fry though.