• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you change your water?

So what type of items do you use when changing water? Multiple choices allowed.

• Python or other brand

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • sump pump

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • submersible pump

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • bucket

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • garden hose

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • paper cup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only drinking water safe hose

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • drilled tanks and just turn valve

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Automatic system.

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

dogofwar

CCA Members
I still laugh when my wife found me taking pictures of PVC pipes

she just rolled her eyes when I told her that people are really interested :)

I'll bring the set up next meeting

if someone can scan the biotope article that would be great - it's in there

Matt

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I use a python and an ole gravel vac for cleaning cuz the siphon on the python is a lil weak.

Matt, I definitely want to hear more about the automated system at the meeting. I'm hopefull that I can rig sumthin up for the fishroom which I hope to complete sometime this fall... (think I said that last year about this time too)

chris_todd

Members
That's kinda creepy, Chris.

:)

LOL, it was actually on my nightstand, next to my bed. I had been doing a little bedtime reading (actually, it was the article on your water changing system) a few weeks ago, and the magazine was still there.

chris_todd

Members
I will check with Francine to see if we can get some more old issues posted.
We might have to do that, because it does not appear that I can post them in the Biotope forum (plus, the files exceed the PDF upload file size limits).

But I have them scanned in, if that will help.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
She should have the originals.
They would have to be converted over and then posted like I have the others in the Biotope section. Just takes a good bit of work.

chris_todd

Members
She should have the originals.
They would have to be converted over and then posted like I have the others in the Biotope section. Just takes a good bit of work.

I'd be willing to help, if it's just a matter of time consuming work. WHat kind of software is used?

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I have a submersible pump hooked up to a garden hose for outgoing water, and python for incoming. Well water helps, as no dechlorinator to worry about.
THATS WHAT IM GONNA BE DOING NOW TOO. I WAS LEANING TOWARDS TUBING BUT IMMA SEE HOW MY HOSE FITS AS WELL. THANKS FOR THE IDEA TWEAKER.;)

How do I drain and fill, you ask?

I drain with the Python and fill with city water aged with PH neutralizer in 5 gallon water jugs. I've been afraid to just pump city water right back into the tank. I've heard from others that they do it and put in the declorinator, but I'm afraid to!

Brian

tash

Members
python for my main (75gal) tank. for my small tank (15) I have a turkey baster to suck up anything from the bottom and then I squirt it into a gallon jug that I have cut the top off of but kept the handle. then I scoop more water out with the jug and dump it on my plants and use the jug to get more water from the sink.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Buckets up and down the stairs. I would say about 12 trips each water change.

Invest in a python. I did the bucket thing for a while, and the python will make w/c's so much easier. It may seem like a lot of money, but well worth it for filling back up the tank. The added bonus is that you don't have the big rush of water into the tank when you dump the buckets so you won't have to rearrange the tank every time you do a change.