• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

How do you change your water?

So what type of items do you use when changing water? Multiple choices allowed.

• Python or other brand

Votes: 54 75.0%
  • sump pump

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • submersible pump

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • bucket

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • garden hose

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • paper cup

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • only drinking water safe hose

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • drilled tanks and just turn valve

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Automatic system.

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a submersible pump hooked up to a garden hose for outgoing water, and python for incoming. Well water helps, as no dechlorinator to worry about.

maddog10

Members
Siphon to a rolling trashcan, drag the trashcan across the basement to the backdoor and use submersible pump to water the lawn. New water comes from a hose attached to the well water storage tank. I just have to watch how much I lower the tank temps by, as the incoming water temps can be in the 50's.

cmcpart0422

Members
I use multiple 5 gallon buckets and a gravel vac. I just switch the full bucket with an empty one when the full one needs to be emptied. All the lifting keeps me in shape.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I do it a lot like the way I did the draining at Aquafest.

I have a submersible pump hooked to a hose. This goes in the bottom row of tanks and pumps the water to the sump pump on the other side of the basement and in turn pumps the water into the yard.
At the same time I have 4 of the python type tubes with short hoses on them. These drain the middle and upper levels into the trashcan on wheels. When the can gets full, I can then move the submersible into the trash can.

Filling is with a python hose hooked directly to the sink in the laundry area. I add declor while the water is going into the tank.

I am thinking about adding some pvc through the wall to the sump pump. And possibly another hose bib to refill with.
The biggest problem is a lack hot water in the winter time.
Takes a while to refill.

iamzrad

Members
I python water in and out.
I have 5 tanks, 2 show(ish) and 3 breeder/growouts. Takes me on average about 90mins to clean all tanks. That includes siphoning, filling, and cleaning tanks.
Then I have a beer and enjoy the fish show. :)

Ball valve to empty and a hose bib (over the sump) to fill. Well not yet, the new fish room will not be done for 3 to 6 weeks!! I CAN'T WAIT!!

longstocking

Members
It takes me quite a few hours... but I've never timed it. I do it over the course of the week. Python....

I want Ron's old system... push a button and you are done :lol: All you have to do is syphon the tanks.

I am working with more plants so I do smaller water changes now a days :) Now I am playing with the plants though :lol:

Last edited:

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
In the summer time the fish room takes me about 3 hours. If the pump is working right. (This does not count the tanks in the club room.)
In the winter time it takes forever.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I have an auto water changing system (which I'm actually not using at the moment because I changed some things around in the fishroom)...

But (even when I am using it), I use the drain pipe for it (1 1/4" PVC with "T"s along it that allow me to insert multiple siphon hoses into it) to siphon tanks.

I use a garden hose to run water from an extra bathroom to the fishroom. I built a PVC on/off switch that hangs on the side of the tank I'm filling.

It takes about 2-2.5 hrs to clean ~50 tanks...and I do it every week (sometimes more often)... water pressure and hot water are the limiting factors...

Matt

I hook a hose to my 325 ocean clear and let it drain... about 25%. Once a month I clean the 325 and the fx5, when I do that I hook the hose to the fx5 and drain about 40%, then a gravel vac with the python makes it 50-55%. Fill with hose hooked to sink. I drain into a shower stall. 25% weekly is no time at all. Full clean takes a bit because I scrub the tank also.

danger_chicken

Swim Fishy Swim!
I am thinking about adding some pvc through the wall to the sump pump. And possibly another hose bib to refill with.The biggest problem is a lack hot water in the winter time.
Takes a while to refill.

Siphon to a rolling trashcan, drag the trashcan across the basement to the backdoor and use submersible pump to water the lawn. New water comes from a hose attached to the well water storage tank. I just have to watch how much I lower the tank temps by, as the incoming water temps can be in the 50's.
I got around this by putting in a mixing value. You can set the temp on the valve and add the fresh water at the same temp as the tank water. I cheap plumbed mine by adding Y connectors to the laundry hook up and ran hot and cold hoses to the valve with the output attached to PVC to the tanks. The only limiting factor is how big is the water heater.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I have three tanks upstairs on the ground floor, three tanks in the basement in the family room and fifteen in the workshop. I change all the water in the basement tanks with a python hooked up to the laundry room sink with dechlorinator added directly to the tanks. The tanks downstairs take about 1.5-2 hours, depending on how much water I'm taking out of the 110. I do 50% water changes on all my workshop tanks weekly.

Upstairs, I change the water on the 3 planted tanks using a hose and buckets. I'm a little more relaxed (lazy?) on the amount of water I take out of these.

I usually end up changing the water on the saltwater tank every two weeks.

The worst part about changing water in my workshop is the tanks on the bottom row. In order to get a *decent* siphon going, I have to unhook the Python from the sink and run it out the back door to a sump at the base of the walkout stairs.

For those who use pumps, what kind of pump and what does the hookup hardware consist of?